Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st build advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    1st build advice

    I’m looking for a bit of help on a 1st build. I’m trying to keep prices as low as possible. I’m trying to build a GMT master (1) and have the following parts

    DG3804
    New thin Mercedes handset (eBay)
    Raffles dial

    Regarding the case - is there a reasonable case available that will look ok? I don’t want a modern one, rather an older looking one (with or without drilled lugs)

    For the movement - the 3804 I have has a date wheel that is closer to the pinions than the raffles dial so the dates don’t line up. where can I get 3804 date wheels that would possibly fit the raffles dial?

    Thanks!




    Sent from the RWI App

    #2
    You need a DWO for Rolex dials - look on Raffles Time.

    Finding a case on it's own won't be easy, milk051506 sells sterile gen spec cases for about $275, a Cartel/BP 1675 watch sells for about $145 plus shipping - but it's a complete watch and you already have some of the parts.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by tripdog View Post
      You need a DWO for Rolex dials - look on Raffles Time.

      Finding a case on it's own won't be easy, milk051506 sells sterile gen spec cases for about $275, a Cartel/BP 1675 watch sells for about $145 plus shipping - but it's a complete watch and you already have some of the parts.
      Thanks - when you say a Cartel/BP sells for $145 you’re referring to M2M sale?


      Sent from the RWI App

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by syd01 View Post

        Thanks - when you say a Cartel/BP sells for $145 you’re referring to M2M sale?


        Sent from the RWI App
        No, that's brand new. It'll have a DG2813/3804B movement at that price.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by syd01 View Post
          Thanks - when you say a Cartel/BP sells for $145 you’re referring to M2M sale?
          You’ll find it easier to track down “Cartel” if you search for JKF (that’s the factory referred to by the term Cartel). The GMT you need as a donor is the 1675. Any TD will be able to get it for you. I use Marvellous Replica - M has a good relationship with JKF and seems to get the best prices.

          It has drilled lugs but, as with all JKF/BP vintage cases, the lug holes are a little bit small. If you have a drill press you could drill them out to the right diameter (1.3mm). The crown guards could also benefit from reshaping. These jobs will improve the authentic look of the watch. The JKF/BP dial has awful stick-on lume plots, if you remove them and age/re-lume the dial, it’s okay.

          NCRich has done a nice pictorial tutorial on modifying/vintagizing the 1675. Check out any of his posts on RWG.bz, there’s links in his sig.
          Last edited by p0pperini; 17-07-20, 06:14.
          My FrankenSub Collection

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by KushBandit View Post

            No, that's brand new. It'll have a DG2813/3804B movement at that price.
            Thanks mate - I’ve had a look on a few TD sites and couldn’t find any BP 1675 for under 200. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place!!


            Sent from the RWI App

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by syd01 View Post

              Thanks mate - I’ve had a look on a few TD sites and couldn’t find any BP 1675 for under 200. Maybe I’m looking in the wrong place!!


              Sent from the RWI App
              Here's one from InTime. These are wrongly under the 16710 category. If you select the 2813 movement in the drop-down list, you'll see it's $158

              https://www.intime05.co/rollie/3663-...e-markers.html

              Comment


                #8
                I’m also just learning about vintage stuff and don’t want to add any misinformation. I want to add that above it sounds like cartel/BP are the same but from what I have learned they are not
                cartel=JKF
                BP is different

                OP- In this link is a different model but I found this thread very helpful myself - tripdog explains the diff between Cartel/JKF and BP clearly.

                https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...vs-bp-1680-red

                Happy Hunting

                Comment


                  #9
                  Good thread! I am also trying to build a GMT and a bit lost. I am desperately looking for a case that will accept a gen 16700/16710 insert. Milk only makes 1675. Will a JKF 16710 fit a gen insert? is it possible that the WSO 16710 bezel fits the JKF 16710 case?

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X