• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Hand winding ok?

Carbon Summit

Renowned Member
10/12/19
United States
Is it bad to hand wind watches that are not wearing every day to keep the time/date set?

Don't want to be told "buy an auto winder..." I'm not asking for an alternative. I am wondering if hand winding is ok, or am I better off letting the watch stop and reset it when I wear it?
​​​

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
I'd just let it stop and then reset again when you wear it. I can't see synthetic oils drying up. However, I'm new to the rep game - so the general consensus may well be different!

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
I suppose it depends on how long the watch is not going to be worn, if it a couple of days it's probably worth giving it a quick wind, if like some of mine it can be months without being worn so that would not only be a pain in the arse but also quite pointless, I'm not a movement expert but i do know that it's advised to not handwrind 7750's too much as the have a tendency to strip something or other

offpink

I'm Pretty Popular
7/1/19
MXP - NYC
I stay away from winders or winding a watch when it's not worn as it will lead to unnecessary wear on the gears. A common pitch by those who sell winders is that the lubricants will dry if the watch isn't running and will lead to damage to the gears, don't worry about that, unless you are planning on not wearing the watch for the next year or so.

iandd

Known Member
24/9/19
Agreed, just let the watch stop naturally and wind it gently when you pick it up again

B&Rfan

Horology Curious
27/2/20
Interesting, I keep mine wound a lot of the time, will probably try leaving them a little more regularly then.