• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Are there any Repro Grand Seikos?

Wry1

Horology Curious
24/2/20
I've looked and looked on the boards and haven't been able to find anything. Thought I'd ask in this forum, since it seems the most helpful. Does anyone produce a Repro Grand Seiko?

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Nothing worth considering that I've ever seen. The craftsmanship of the Genuine is well beyond just about every other brand out there, and very difficult to reproduce convincingly.

Reactions: DaleM

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Hi Wry1,

Welcome to the forum.

There are none that i know of. If there was, it would be highly unlikely that it would be repped to anywhere near a passable standard. 1) they are not all that popular, so I cant see any rep factory putting in the time and effort needed. 2) The Zaratsu finishing on Grand Seikos is amazing (photos dont generally do it justice) and would highly unlikely to be repped to the same standard 3) The spring drive movement would be pretty hard if not impossible to rep.

I have just ordered the GS Snowflake as a birthday treat to myself - not taken hold of it yet as I am still stranded overseas. But once the evacuation flights come to rescue us then the first thing I will be doing upon arrival back to the UK is taking delivery.

Happy to share pictures if anyone is interested, but as I say, for me, photos dont really do them justice.

ZD82

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Got it yesterday....now on its first trip out of isolation!

A bit of snow on a nice spring day!
861b5550135ac4a5acb6d2a5ccb72519.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

brokebuthappy

24/2/20
Movement on the snowflake and simplicity is just great. Congrats on the watch. Hope you're enjoying it fully.

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Beautiful watch. Did you buy new or used?

Sent from the RWI App

Got it new. Probably a silly mistake, but got a slight mark down on rrp of 10% - although the AD would not put that in writing due to strict rules from GS. Plus had the pleasure of peeling off the stickers! Ordered it about a month ago, but only just got back to the UK to take delivery.

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Their popularity is rising. Beautiful watch. I have the sbgh269, Autumn.

Good work. Yours will hold value over the snowflake, because its a limited edition (right?). What number was yours?

Do you think GS are gaining popularity? I am not sure? I hope so, and there are certainly some passionate fans online who do all they can to defend the brand, but the same can be said of invicta! :)

Honestly, I never thought I would pay that kind of £££ on a japanese watch, but once I saw it, I fell in love and there was no going back. The finishing is something else. Honestly, if there was a half decent rep of it, then I would have probably gone rep! but thats the thing, with the best will in the world, there wont ever be a rep that has 50% of the same finish as the gen. Or maybe thats just BS and I am all loved up! Either way, i love it!

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Good work. Yours will hold value over the snowflake, because its a limited edition (right?). What number was yours?

Do you think GS are gaining popularity? I am not sure? I hope so, and there are certainly some passionate fans online who do all they can to defend the brand, but the same can be said of invicta! :)

Honestly, I never thought I would pay that kind of £££ on a japanese watch, but once I saw it, I fell in love and there was no going back. The finishing is something else. Honestly, if there was a half decent rep of it, then I would have probably gone rep! but thats the thing, with the best will in the world, there wont ever be a rep that has 50% of the same finish as the gen. Or maybe thats just BS and I am all loved up! Either way, i love it!

zachsdad82

Supporter
Certified
20/2/14
Nice! I googled the watch after reading the thread, that red/dark red/brown dial is lovely. All about the dial on that one.

Usernametaken

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
31/5/18
Very nice , I just got a SARX055 “Baby snowflake” a couple weeks ago, can’t stop staring at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: zachsdad82

CurioLeo

GPsy King
Gold Patron
Certified
22/8/18
Australia
I collect Grand Seikos ( and King Seikos) dating all the way back to 6146-8050 (virtual VFA) or even the earlier chronometer Seikomatics which were the prototype for 62GS (which I also had). Current models are: 6146-8050, SBGA029, SBGR097, SBGT241 and the SNR005 (the first spring drive model outside Japan which wasn't actually designated a GS). I don't think too many people buy a GS for "others" but rather for themselves - a stealth haute horologie collector. That doesn't really gel with the idea of a replica and hence unlikely to ever be replicated to an acceptable standard in sufficient numbers to justify the expenditure for the factories. Pity really, objectively the SBGA029 is superior to a 116610LN sub IMHO.