• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Daytona v Sub

thewelshone

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/1/20
Hey everyone.

Hope you are all well.

It's one of those annoying questions I'm afraid.

For the past 4 months I've been looking at getting a Daytona, after months of looking through the forum and distinguishing the differences between the many factories (with some very helpful members advice along the way).

I realised the ARF model was the one that fitted what I was looking for - its not so much about the insides, but the aesthetics and thus, the ARF was the better choice.

I've decided on the TD I will use, however just before purchasing, I thought I'd go into the Rolex store and try on the Sub as it's a popular one. I really liked it, having been looking up watches so long, I guess my style choice had changed and I wanted something a bit classier and timeless. The reason I didn't look at the sub to begin with was due to the theory that it wouldn't fit on my skinny wrists..

I've looked through the forums and find it a little harder to distinguish.

So, I was wondering whether you would have any advice for the better Sub (black bezel) on the market? (Given my choice for the Daytona above)
And likewise, for aesthetics of the realness of the watch, is the Sub or Daytona closer to the real thing?

I know its a completely nooby question, but Id appreciate some guidance. Thanks!

Dan

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Buy both, try them for a while and sell the one you like the least. Or keep both. You wont lose much and they both sell quickly m2m. Probably the zzf is the best sub ootb but theres things to like about all the factories.

Reactions: gilrob

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
That was one of the better "who makes the best Sub?" post disguises...

WRT "the aesthetics of the realness" - either one will have things that mark them as a rep, but only to the watch nut nerds round here. At the same time, either one will look and feel just like the real thing and fool 99.999999999999% of the general public - even the 0.000000000000000001% of the public that are vaguely interested in what watch you're wearing.

thewelshone

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/1/20
Valid point Dr Fun Socks :)

That was one of the better "who makes the best Sub?" post disguises...

WRT "the aesthetics of the realness" - either one will have things that mark them as a rep, but only to the watch nut nerds round here. At the same time, either one will look and feel just like the real thing and fool 99.999999999999% of the general public - even the 0.000000000000000001% of the public that are vaguely interested in what watch you're wearing.

Haha yeh sorry about that p0pp, I've heard ZZF & ARF factory is good for the Sub but can't find as many posts on it somehow.

Completely appreciate those have their faults, I guess I was more worried that some watches will have a lot more faults (like the newer two-tones etc).

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
My recommendation would be to go for a JF 16610 Sub. The pre-ceramic aluminium insert Subs are less clunky looking, more elegant and (IMO) a classier, more classic looking watch. But watch out, once you start with them you’ll be on the slippery slope to Frankens in no time.

Reactions: Replica01