• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Which Rep Omega is closest to the gen?

Zanboor2

Horology Curious
15/2/20
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first rep and I have narrowed my search to the:
  • Planet Ocean Professional Ceramic Bezel 42mm 1:1 VSF Best Edition Silver Markers A8500 Super Clone
  • SPEEDMASTER MOONWATCH SS V2 OMF 1:1 BEST EDITION BLACK DIAL WHITE HANDSET ON SS BRACELET A9300
I was wondering:
  • What are the thoughts and reviews on these two watches? (It seems the Planet ocean is very well made as far as Reps go according to some of the reviews and the moonwatch not as well made specially with the movement)
  • Which TD would you recommend?
If you have any other information or suggestions please feel free to share.

Thanks

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
I recommend you read the Consensual List thread in the Replica Watch General Discussion sub-forum.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
There should be a few reviews for the Planet Ocean in the Omega sub-forum. Go to the Omega sub-forum and use the search function there and search Planet Ocean.

Zanboor2

Horology Curious
15/2/20
Thank you all for the links and guidance. I have not found a 'single source' comprehensive review however I have found a number of reviews that cover various aspects. I have settled on the Planet Ocean 600, just struggling with if I should go for the orange numbers on the 6, 9 and 12 or the classic, will decide in a couple of days, while talking to some TDs. At the moment my TDs in order of preference is:
If you have any TD recommendation or have cautions regarding any specific TDs let me know, the reviews for all three TDs seem to be good mostly with good customer service.

Thanks

pamevolta

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Certified
6/1/20
Hi there,

I love the PO 42mm as well and I think it's going to be my next watch. In terms of TDs my vote goes to Li from Jtime. Excellent customer service.

Pure time they get a huge volume of orders so there's a higher chance you'll get lost in the crowd but in general they have top reviews plus both are TDs for a reason so no need to worry...

Reactions: Zanboor2

Aventador S

6/5/19
I do agree that purchasing through a TD is the better path, but it is incorrect to say there is no need to worry.
Do yourself a favor and very closely check any QC photos you receive. Take the images and enlarge them then carefully look at each bitty part. Look for bugggered up screw heads, markers not aligned adequately, it matches exactly the website listing, everything, take your time and do not assume it is perfect at first glance. I have had to reject a few watches after QC close examination.
Then once the watch arrives in your hands have your own quality watch tool set and check that all screws are snug (I have had bracelet screws fall out after a few days and you cannot get replacements). Again check it very carefully, even with a magnifying glass, and immediately report to the TD with photos any issues incase it needs returning (gawd forbid that is the path to take). Another concern before buying is to check the model and see if there are issues with the crown screw in not engaging and then staying loose. A search on the forum will provide info on this. A pricey PO of mine had this issue after a few months....note do not tighten the crown too snug.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
WTF-smiley10bdd73b0a2a1af49.png

Mental note....add him to do not do business with list.....

Reactions: Phoenixboy

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
I do agree that purchasing through a TD is the better path, but it is incorrect to say there is no need to worry.
Do yourself a favor and very closely check any QC photos you receive. Take the images and enlarge them then carefully look at each bitty part. Look for bugggered up screw heads, markers not aligned adequately, it matches exactly the website listing, everything, take your time and do not assume it is perfect at first glance. I have had to reject a few watches after QC close examination.
Then once the watch arrives in your hands have your own quality watch tool set and check that all screws are snug (I have had bracelet screws fall out after a few days and you cannot get replacements). Again check it very carefully, even with a magnifying glass, and immediately report to the TD with photos any issues incase it needs returning (gawd forbid that is the path to take). Another concern before buying is to check the model and see if there are issues with the crown screw in not engaging and then staying loose. A search on the forum will provide info on this. A pricey PO of mine had this issue after a few months....note do not tighten the crown too snug.

As others have implied this is NOT the purpose of QC pics. Since you are new, I would suggest you go and spend some time reading the FAQ in the new members area. There are many stickies that are helpful including a thread on what QC pics are intended for

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
Sort of got distracted.....
OP's question was about which Omega is closest to gen. Lots of good Omega reps these days. Just about anything from VSF is excellent. Snoop around in the Omega forum and in the nwbig thread in the general discussion area. By doing some research yourself you will find a watch you like which is more important, in my opinion, than if a watch is 99.6% or 99.7% accurate.

Aventador S

6/5/19
As others have implied this is NOT the purpose of QC pics. Since you are new, I would suggest you go and spend some time reading the FAQ in the new members area. There are many stickies that are helpful including a thread on what QC pics are intended for[/QUOTE]

Per that post "
We expect everyone to do their own research and homework as to whether an item is acceptable to them." OK, so don't be too nit picky.
From my experience it is easy to be happy with the new shiny item and in haste to get it delivered overlook flaws.