• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How picky should I be on QC pics? (no pics inside, don't nuke me)

John1

Known Member
20/10/15
I don't want to be "that guy" the TD hate. I'm trying to maintain a sense of balance. After all, these are low budget replicas, not tens of thousands of dollar gens. That being said...

This capital "O" is pretty much just a perfect circle. The capital O on a gen dial face is similar to a Times New Roman. (TNR)

O vs O.

There are three issues that this noob has identified, more experienced hobbyists might notice others.

1) The rep in question has the perfect circle, not the TNR type font.

2) The line below the ft=meter is compressed, making the alignment between the two lines off.

3) The base of the crown is a tiny "o", no horizontal stretch.

Do you accept it, or ask if they have a more correct version?

Or, alternatively, is there yet a different market to source a more accurate dial face?

As I said, I don't want to be "that guy" that pisses them off, but I don't want to be "that guy" that doesn't do due diligence.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Your questions are legitimate here and you seem to have the right attitude about all of this QC shenanigans

First QC is not made to pick out a model of a watch, if you ordered a rep you'll got the QC of that rep model, it's a bit late to say "That's not a model I like".

Then QC is to compare with the generally accepted correct version of a particular rep, usually this is done by checking the TD or any TD website to see if you indeed, got the correct model and if there's nothing obviously wrong with it, like a marker is missing, the cyclops is on the bracelet and not on the crystal etc...

But in the end, it's between you and your TD to deal with that, if your TD is okay to change a watch because of a minor defect you'll soon find out, it doesn't hurt to ask for his advice.
Remember that some tiny details can be exaggerated by the macro shot and that you won't see them on your wrist

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I suggest you shrink the picture that the dealer sent to you down to approximately the size to watch would really be and then look at it and see if the flaws bother you. Generally you should be familiar with the make and model before you order and know the flaws. The purpose of the QC pictures is to make sure it is in fact what you ordered and there's nothing significantly wrong with it.

Reactions: John1

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
For example, if you order a GMT 116710 from ARF, it's common knowledge that the date on it is absolute bold shit, so, when in your QC you'll see the bold date, it won't be a reason to red light it, since everyone of them will be like this.

On the other hand, if on that watch you see a obviously crooked marker, a metal-cut defect on the case or a dent somewhere, it's a good enough reason to RL, unless you are not planning to change it for a gen part.

Reactions: John1

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
John1 with regards to your specific comments on your QC pics - do they look different to the photos of the same rep on the dealer's website? Do they look different to other people's photos of the same watch in the daily wristies threads? If so, then you've got a legitimate reason to be unhappy. And a TD (in my experience) is happy to accept your QC issues if the watch is clearly not as advertised.

But if you're now finding that you didn't really pay enough attention to these small details before you ordered, then that's your own fault, isn't it? In which case, you should ask yourself whether it's fair to the TD for you to reject the watch because you actually haven't been diligent enough.

As Glaude said, it's very different looking at hugely blown-up photos than at a watch on your wrist. The typographical differences you're describing will probably be impossible to see. But you can always get a better dial from a third party supplier - usually by paying well three, four times the price of the watch just for the dial.

John1

Known Member
20/10/15
Thanks guys. 99% of me wanted to green light it. As it is my first rep, the other 1% wanted to do a quick sanity check. Thanks for the legit feedback.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Thanks guys. 99% of me wanted to green light it. As it is my first rep, the other 1% wanted to do a quick sanity check. Thanks for the legit feedback.

John, you’ve been here since 2015. I’m sure you know that QC pictures are to make sure you are receiving the watch for which you paid and to confirm there are no serious manufacturing defects. It is not to ask for a “more correct version.” That’s the watch you ordered. Accept it and enjoy it.

John1

Known Member
20/10/15
All good points, appreciate getting pulled back to reality. Yeah, been here awhile, but this is first rep direct from TD. Like first cigarette...inhale, or puff...
Thanks, gents.

Last edited: