• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is the PAM 127 crystal supposed to be this distorted?!

valueprop

17/12/19
Hi folks!

I was a little skeptical of the QC pics that Trusty Time sent me for the Noob fiddy I ordered, but they reassured me the distortion was ok and have sold hundreds of these. When the watch came I felt dizzy looking at the crystal because of how distorted it made the dial. It seemed to be too much; when viewed head on, there is a distortion ring right in the middle of all the digits. I couldn't believe that this was how the original watch looks. I went to a Panerai store today to look at some of their watches. Although they didn't have any 47mm domed crystals they did have 44mm ones and those had much less, almost no distortion and no noticeable ring in the crystal. I know this is a popular watch on this forum, can someone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks from a noob!

https://imgur.com/a/BxaDmsX

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
It's a domed crystal so distortion by the rounded edges is unavoidable, although the rep might have a bit more then a genuine crystal. Compare yours to various pictures of genuine ones and decide. Personally, I'm not a fan of the 127. I have a fair number of panerai {7 as of now, previously sold over a dozen other models) but it never appealed to me. Even my genuine Speedmaster professional has some distortion by the rounded edges.

valueprop

17/12/19
I am going to try to find a better crystal for it. Looking for recommendations! But I'm surprised as to the Noob 127's status as Super Rep. The crystal seems an obvious tell.

valueprop

17/12/19
Much obliged sir! I was looking at their stock but wasn't sure if it was a reputable site. Will let you know when it comes in this week how it looks!