• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Diving into the vintage sub world...

outtatime

Looking Around
2/12/19
Hi all,

I recently got into watches in general, and by extension reps.

I picked up this vintage sub from chazingtime. The website says it a 1680, but I’m not sure that could be true.

Based on my research it is some sort of rep of a 6205 (6mm crown, with the ‘_’ underneath the coronet). Here is the link to where I found it:
https://chazingtime06.co/products/vintage-1680-submariner-no-date-ss-black-dial-nylon-strap-a2836

Three questions:

1). Can you help me ID what ref this is in fact meaning to rep? Am I close in that it would be a 6205?

2). What can I do to make this watch look more vintage/aged? I saw another thread on here with people showing off their frankened vintage subs.... amazing work!

I’m just not sure if I have the skill or time to do that... maybe there is a known person who might be willing to patina the watch just so, or give it more vintage character without breaking it? Any leads?

Alternatively, any tips of some easier stuff I can do myself?

3). Any idea about good homage pieces that try to capture this vintage watch and do it well? Just curious to have a look.

If you’re feeling generous, include a pic or two of your vintage sub.... I can never get enough of the domed perfection that is this timepiece.

Thanks for considering!

Sent from the RWI App

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Here is my vintage 1680 red sub, built by yodog. He is a master at vintaging subs, etc.

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Nope, the strap is from "finwatchstraps" on Etsy, not sure if I can post a link so you can just google them. Handmade in Finland, and reasonable cost.