• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Diamonds (and tourbillons). Are they worth it?

AllOnRed

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/10/19
Hey all,

wondering if anyone can shed some light on if diamonds (bling I know) are worth it in a rep (in regards to quality). Also for clarification, I’m interested in something that is pave (specifically baguettes), not just hour markers. It may seem silly to get a watch like that, but I’ve always wanted something excessively shiny.

On another note, is it worth it to get a watch that has a tourbillon? Many of the awesome watches I’m looking into from Puretime and a few other TDs also have tourbillons. Wondering if anyone has experience with either of these topics and could shed some light (any info or experience is appreciated).

Sorry if this topic has been covered, I looked around the forum, but there’s so much info and I couldn’t find a thread on this topic. Thanks in advance.

Mav2000

10/1/19
The tourbillions are usually from good Chinese factories like seagull, so that should usually not be an issue.

As for the diamonds, they generally use zircona, which is a very easy tell for someone with even basic knowledge of diamonds. Secondly the stones tend to drop off after a period of time as the mounts they use are not very strong and definitely not strong enough for such small stones.

Reactions: AllOnRed

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
No bling unless you are in show business or you are a very flamboyant gentleman.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Rx4Time

AllOnRed

8/10/19
I see where you’re coming from. My preference is towards interesting complications (of which I have a few) but I feel that not collection is complete without at least 1 jeweled watch (even if it’s merely hour markers)

Gh0stVintage

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/11/19
On the Mariana's Web
IMHO, for reps i will try to go as simple as possible. the more complications you get, the more easily ppl can tell its fake and the more easier it breaks and the harder to fix.

sometimes less is more ;)

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
If you want something like baguette indices, I would look to acquire a gen dial and put it in a rep case. It’s more expensive but solves a lot of issues.

Rep tourbies are relatively reliable and really fun watches for a pretty reasonable cost. Just make sure it’s an actual tourbillon and not an open heart. Everyone should have at least one in their collection ...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

AllOnRed

8/10/19
I’ll take that into consideration. And yes, baguette hours are what I’m looking for. Only problem is I don’t know how to tinker with watches. So even if I got, say, a Rolex datejust and got a gen dial, I haven’t the foggiest about putting it in. Unfortunately, my local watch smith won’t touch reps, not sure why.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I’ll take that into consideration. And yes, baguette hours are what I’m looking for. Only problem is I don’t know how to tinker with watches. So even if I got, say, a Rolex datejust and got a gen dial, I haven’t the foggiest about putting it in. Unfortunately, my local watch smith won’t touch reps, not sure why.

There are plenty of resources on this forum for guys who will do the work — check the watch smith section. Get the base watch and the dial, ship it off to your vender of choice and wait 6 weeks in agony to get it back haha.

You can accomplish anything in this word with enough time, will and money ...

Sent from the RWI mobile app

saucelord

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/10/18
I offer handmade diamond setting also on reps if you need. The prices depend on the amount of stones we have to set. For example a fully set AP Royal Oak 15500ST Borderless Pave setting with round brilliant diamonds lab grown VS+ 4000$. My workshop is in Portugal and we ship from here. If you need me to get the watch, I normally buy APs from JF.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
I offer handmade diamond setting also on reps if you need. The prices depend on the amount of stones we have to set. For example a fully set AP Royal Oak 15500ST Borderless Pave setting with round brilliant diamonds lab grown VS+ 4000$. My workshop is in Portugal and we ship from here. If you need me to get the watch, I normally buy APs from JF

Godfathar something for your 5975P maybe? The diamond on the case at 6

Reactions: Godfathar

rek00001

Known Member
24/4/13
The PP annual calendar comes with a jeweled bezel, IMHO that's a pretty cool watch worthy of consideration.

As for tourbillions, I've been going round and round (see what I didi there) about acquiring one. It's a missing spot in my collection. I've watches countless youtube vids, looked at all the TDs offerings, I'm just not sure it's such a big thing. Someone fight me.