• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pulled the trigger 1st order

armandinLA

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/9/19
Los Angeles, Calif
I am writing this for the benefit of those folks who are where I was 6 weeks ago - researching and deciding whether or not to get into this hobby. First, research, research, research! There is tons of information on these pages, information that will make the process easier and lower your stress level because it really is a big waiting game these pages will teach you about what goes on behind the scenes so you're not so nervous. I spent weeks reading what I could about the processes involved in purchasing items from half way around the world (I'm in the US) it certainly isn't the same as ordering off Amazon.

Second, read up on and take a look at the pages of trusted dealers (TDs) and compare the various sites and their offerings, look at their stock, their prices etc. I was all set to do business with Puretime but I found them less than helpful when I ran into ordering issues so I canceled then went with my back-up TD Intime all went as smooth as silk (I just ordered Oct 7, 2019). Just goes to show you have to be ready to change things up at a moments notice.

Third, for US based folks, I would really consider the Bitcoin route which is a pain in the ass but not as big a pain as using a credit card from a US based bank. I bought my bitcoin from coinbase,com it's super easy a lot of folks talk crap about it but I'm not a bitcoin investor I just need it to buy my watches so simple is better. Let my experience with coinbase lessen your headaches: (1) fastest way to get bitcoin into your coinbase account and ready for use is using your debit card as your way to purchase bitcoin. I bought direct from my bank account and while your bitcoin purchase is effective the same day you purchase, you cannot send your bitcoins (or use for purchases) for 9 days!!! With debit card your purchase and bitcoins are immediately available to send (2) you will read info out there about using your credit card to buy bitcoin through coinbase.com IF YOU ARE IN THE USA THIS IS NOT ALLOWED...NO CAN DO....NO BUENO!!!!! (3) to send bitcoin with coinbase.com you need to verify your identity (US finance regulation) by snapping a picture of your driver license (if in the US you cannot use passport as ID) you will have to surf around your profile site to find where to verify ID. It's not that tough but you sure do have to jump through a lot of hoops to get there - you will be rewarded with a discount from your dealer, I was offered 6% off my order saving me $38 so my discount paid for my shipping.

So as I stated my order was placed the evening of October 7, 2019 and this morning I received my email from Intime with instructions on where to send the bitcoin (unfortunately I have to wait 1 more day for my 9 days to be up...funds are still locked up with coinbase). I will keep you posted on how the process goes from here. If it makes a difference I am from/in Los Angeles Calif and i ordered the Royal Oak 15400 and the Patek Phil Nautilus both from Intime. MORE TO FOLLOW

Last edited:
Reactions: spookygoldfish

cmf959

4/9/19
You went big on your first order! Which factories did you go for on both of these watches?

armandinLA

4/9/19
Los Angeles, Calif
I think this is it. So the Royal Oak is JF V5; Nautilus is PPF super rep. to be honest I did not consider the factory as part of my decision making process only because I did not see a big difference in the description(s).

armandinLA

4/9/19
Los Angeles, Calif
BTW my Oct 11, 2019 update. Not a whole lot has happened it's now waiting time. Oct 9th Ryan at Intime verified via email he received my bitcoin payment and to hang tight for a week or two for the QC pictures to arrive. Status: waiting for QC pics to come in. I will keep you posted.

armandinLA

4/9/19
Los Angeles, Calif
Updates:
Oct 13, 2019: I received my QC pics 5 pics for each watch. The Nautilus face looked more grey than blue, I brought it to Intime's attention so they said they would send me a close up picture.
Oct 15, 2019: I received from Intime close up QC pic of Nautilus still looked more grey than blue but I'm guessing It's just the photo. I approvec the QC pics for both Royal Oak & Nautilus. I think the next step is supposed to getting a tracking number. I will keep you posted. Thx

Reactions: Quadangle26

armandinLA

4/9/19
Los Angeles, Calif
Update:
Oct 20 2019 package arrived at LAX customs at 0018 hours
Oct 20 2019 1138 hours package picked up by carrier and off to their sort facility

now to start working on 2nd order....Daytona steel bezel + Vacheron overseas :)

Last edited:

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
Hey, congrats on your first rep orders. Sounds like you did a lot of research. That's where a lot of noobs mess up. and then they have a lot of problems. There's so much information here on the site to help you with everything. One thing I definitely recommend and is very important and something you said you didn't think was very important is research the watch you're getting from each factory. There are usually reviews of each watch from different factories. You'll find things like, factory "A"'s watch might have lettering and the font perfectly done but the datewheel is notoriously crooked, or factory "B" might have a datewheel that is perfectly aligned but they are using a cheaper movement. and just a ton more. so it's very important to read the reviews of the watch you want to get from the different factories.. People with a lot more experience will a lot of times write very in depth reviews with pictures to show imperfections or things that are not aligned right. And you have to just watch. like JF factory might make the best sub C. but their datejust might not be as good. Just using those for an example. I have no idea, but you just need to check the reviews. Anyway, good uck. Post pic s when you get your watchs. People really do love to see new purchases. Thanks, George

armandinLA

4/9/19
Los Angeles, Calif
Thank you egroegart for the advice I will do just that.

update:
Oct 21 2019 carrier tried delivering today (one day early) but apparently the package required a signature and I was not home. I expect to receive it Tuesday 10/22. I must say that was one fast delivery...left Hong Kong Sunday 10/20 arrived at LAX customs facility Saturday 10/19 and was almost delivered Monday 10/21. I will post pictures when the items arrive.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Thank you egroegart for the advice I will do just that.

update:
Oct 21 2019 carrier tried delivering today (one day early) but apparently the package required a signature and I was not home. I expect to receive it Tuesday 10/22. I must say that was one fast delivery...left Hong Kong Sunday 10/20 arrived at LAX customs facility Saturday 10/19 and was almost delivered Monday 10/21. I will post pictures when the items arrive.

Yes, DHL is fast. It seems to be safe if delivery is for the west coast, not so much for the mid-west and east coast.

ToniMontono

Known Member
25/2/19
UK
Old post but thanks for telling us your experience using bitcoin never really thought about paying using btc but seems safer. Also recommend you get a leather strap for your patek or ap after a while they look amazing.