• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Anyone get called out with a rep?

SRBJKU

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/9/19
Sorry if it is a covered topic, but as I am brand new to the Rep addiction I have been amazed by many of the highly accurate rep watches. So I was wondering if other than by your friends who frequent these forums, has anyone ever recognized your clone for a rep when you were wearing it? I wear a gen 1980's Rolex GMT Master 16753 as my daily and I have had several GMT Master II wearers think my old model is a fake, simply because it is black bezel, black face with a jubilee band.

Last edited:

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Yes, it’s been covered. Almost every noob asks this.

The answer is yes and no. Yes, if you meet a watch expert or aficionado or a staff AD. No, if you meet a friend, family or anyone who never seen the real thing before.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Katarsis and SRBJKU

SRBJKU

26/9/19
Yes, it’s been covered. Almost every noob asks this.

The answer is yes and no. Yes, if you meet a watch expert or aficionado or a staff AD. No, if you meet a friend, family or anyone who never seen the real thing before.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Thanks, I guess I should have looked a little harder! Although even AD staff aren't necessarily that informed with older watches. I took my GMT Master into the AD I bought it from in 1988 to get serviced. The young lady working the counter took one look at my well worn old watch and told me they probably wouldn't be able to help me because my watch was "probably a fake". I laughed and pulled the original receipt out of the box showing that I had bought it from there.

Reactions: TudorGstaad

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Thanks, I guess I should have looked a little harder! Although even AD staff aren't necessarily that informed with older watches. I took my GMT Master into the AD I bought it from in 1988 to get serviced. The young lady working the counter took one look at my well worn old watch and told me they probably wouldn't be able to help me because my watch was "probably a fake". I laughed and pulled the original receipt out of the box showing that I had bought it from there.

Of course not all AD staff know or can identify the authenticity of a watch, but I am pretty sure the manager tells the staff if in doubt, decline.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Reactions: Winterslipperz

Lewimorgan

Looking Around
30/9/19
Hi brand new to this sight ... I have no idea how to post anything ?? I have a new model Daytona that worked perfectly for around 8 months .. now it just won’t tick atall .. even after winding dozens of times ! Please can someone point me in the right direction, to someone that can take a look at it please ? Thanks Danielle

macarone

Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Hi brand new to this sight ... I have no idea how to post anything ?? I have a new model Daytona that worked perfectly for around 8 months .. now it just won’t tick atall .. even after winding dozens of times ! Please can someone point me in the right direction, to someone that can take a look at it please ? Thanks Danielle

Go back where you got it and or research to a point you find someone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Powyo

9/10/19
My friends and family know I have reps. But I only really wear them now and again, mainly on a night out.

AllOnRed

8/10/19
Like others have said, it depends on the person looking at it and who is wearing the watch. Obviously if you show a true horologist your rep, they will know its fake. Also, I think a lot of it depends on who you are (lifestyle, job, dress). A man in a suit wearing a watch with a 50K+ price tag would seem more legit than a guy in basketball shorts and a hoodie. Plus, its likely that your friends have some idea of your income level and ability to afford such a luxury item, so that matters too. That being said, I got my first good rep recently, and no one can tell its a rep.

Bigcity777

31/7/19
US / Closing deals
Like others have said, it depends on the person looking at it and who is wearing the watch. Obviously if you show a true horologist your rep, they will know its fake. Also, I think a lot of it depends on who you are (lifestyle, job, dress). A man in a suit wearing a watch with a 50K+ price tag would seem more legit than a guy in basketball shorts and a hoodie. Plus, its likely that your friends have some idea of your income level and ability to afford such a luxury item, so that matters too. That being said, I got my first good rep recently, and no one can tell its a rep.

This .....

:drinks_cheers:

SRBJKU

26/9/19
Thanks for the replies. The more I read the more I notice some details stand out as wrong on many watches, but some are so close it would be hard to notice without a gen and a magnifier. My area is probably an anomaly. I live in a resort beach town, so we are surrounded by the rich half of the year. Its not uncommon to see people driving an old Jeep or Defender, wearing a t-shirt and shorts and sporting watches and jewelry that exceed the average American's net worth.

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Why do we have to pretend to b rich?
Why do we have to keep up with the Joneses?

I have 60+ replicas and I tell people I own 60+ fake watches. I am an honest guy.
There is no need to keep up with the Joneses or pretend to be rich. I am a likable man, and people just love being around me.

SRBJKU

26/9/19

I have 60+ replicas and I tell people I own 60+ fake watches. I am an honest guy.
There is no need to keep up with the Joneses or pretend to be rich. I am a likable man, and people just love being around me. [/QUOTE

It would be just about impossible for me to keep up with the joneses around here! I am not going to pretend to be something I am not. I own some nice gen watches. I just love nice designs and can't see spending as much as they cost now. If someone notices my watch and asks me about it, I'll tell them if it's a rep. I am working on building a replica 289 FIA Cobra. Trying to make it as original as I possibly can. I would never try to convince any one it's an original. I just love the car and could never afford an original. Thats the way I will approach replica watches, I would like them as original looking as I can get/ make them within a reasonable budget.

And may I say: Holy sh*t! 60 watches! Is it a full time job just keeping them wound?

efajri

17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
And may I say: Holy sh*t! 60 watches! Is it a full time job just keeping them wound?

I don’t wind them. All sit in my watch boxes except one in the winder; the one I wear for a week. My watches get their turn to be worn for a week. Each watch gets its turn every 63 weeks aka once a year.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

reppy

Renowned Member
14/1/17
Sorry if it is a covered topic, but as I am brand new to the Rep addiction I have been amazed by many of the highly accurate rep watches. So I was wondering if other than by your friends who frequent these forums, has anyone ever recognized your clone for a rep when you were wearing it? I wear a gen 1980's Rolex GMT Master 16753 as my daily and I have had several GMT Master II wearers think my old model is a fake, simply because it is black bezel, black face with a jubilee band.
unless you're otherwise visibly pretty well off, people will always question the authenticity of a rolex, gen or rep

Nanook65

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/16
unless you're otherwise visibly pretty well off, people will always question the authenticity of a rolex, gen or rep

if you are worried, skip Rolex and any other rep that is way above your pay grade. Stick to watches that someone with a relatively normal income could afford should they choose to.

Think about it a little and common sense will guide you

BluuDuu

MULTI ACCOUNT
11/2/19
So far have not really been called out on my Explorer I. It's a pretty lowkey Rolex and I like my watches to be that way. I've gotten a compliment on it once or twice, but usually no one even notices what watch I'm wearing. There's been the off chance where I'm wearing a light colored dial watch or a watch on a nato and I may get a compliment or two. In general not many people even care about watches anymore..so I feel very rarely does anyone even make a comment on what watch I may be wearing.

Gh0stVintage

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/11/19
On the Mariana's Web

There is no need to keep up with the Joneses or pretend to be rich. I am a likable man, and people just love being around me.

woah sir that is a lot a lot of watches ! may i know whats your age?