• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Shipping to the US from the UK

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice.

As a newer member are there any do's and don'ts for shipping to the US.

I'm thinking about using Royal Mail so United States Postal services becomes the carrier and also declaring it as a watch for $50 value.
Or is better to ship it as "watch parts"? or "watch repair"?

Any experience? The buyer has said they're happy to accept the risk but I would like to minimise this as much as possible.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

James

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
In my experience, just go Royal Mail tracked and signed for in the local post office, takes a little longer but more likely to slip under the radar than the likes of DHL.
Its been a while since I’ve done it but I don’t recall filling in any declaration forms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sonofalich

Rockinmakicks

Known Member
17/6/19
I always have them sent me as a watch parts, we're too busy here anyways reading POTUS' tweets so no one would care especially if you put $50 value.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
In my experience, just go Royal Mail tracked and signed for in the local post office, takes a little longer but more likely to slip under the radar than the likes of DHL.

Thanks, what about on the customs form? I have to fill out a CN 22 form. What have you declared things as in the past?
I don't want to treat customs like idiots, I feel that's one way to get burnt.

I notice on the Chinese packets I have received they write "watch bracelet" and once it was "Tourist memorabilia bracelet" haha.

Thank you btw!

Pickledbeetroot

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/12
I don’t recall ever filling out a customs form in the post office, it’s a fairly sleepy village where I live, and the post office is the local shop, and I know they’re fairly slack.
Ive posted to the us maybe a handful of times

OfficineRep

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/14
I don’t recall ever filling out a customs form in the post office, it’s a fairly sleepy village where I live, and the post office is the local shop, and I know they’re fairly slack.
Ive posted to the us maybe a handful of times

Does anyone ever notice your watch(es) in that sleepy village? I live in a medium sized city and no one notices them here. But I guess we wear it for ourselves haha

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
My experience is shipping the other direction, US to UK. Every time I have valued the package at $30. Then each item takes on some value to add up to $30 if I am shipping more than one thing.
I declare the items as “Gift Watch”, “Gift Watch Parts”, etc with an origin of USA.
So far (knock on wood) it’s only been an issue when I declared the value too high and the recipient had to pay customs on it.
I will also note when I receive things into the US from abroad, $30 value and the description of “Watch Parts” has been successful.
Good luck!

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice.

As a newer member are there any do's and don'ts for shipping to the US.

I'm thinking about using Royal Mail so United States Postal services becomes the carrier and also declaring it as a watch for $50 value.
Or is better to ship it as "watch parts"? or "watch repair"?

Any experience? The buyer has said they're happy to accept the risk but I would like to minimise this as much as possible.
Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

James

Shipping to Conus is not an issue. Describe the item as a sports watch with a value $50 or less. Do not ship as watch repair to or from Conus as this is now being picked up by UK Customs and charges being applied (it happened to me 3 times)

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Import duties in the US are only applied to items of $800 value or higher, there is no need or sense in describing everything as 'watch parts, $50'.

If it's declared as a used watch with a value of $700 then it can be insured for that amount, and Customs in the US are no more likely to taken an interest in it than a parcel declared at $50. It's the country of origin that will be of more interest than the parcel itself.

I always use the same method to ship - it's never DHL or Fedex, theyhave a vested interest in opening your parcel and seeing what it's worth - and it's always declared as a used watch with a value of about $700, even if what's inside cost $5000.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies all. I will speak to my buyer and see what they want to do. I think from the general consensus though I'll mark it as a sports watch gift for $50.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Thanks for the replies all. I will speak to my buyer and see what they want to do. I think from the general consensus though I'll mark it as a sports watch gift for $50.

Lets just hope that if they do open it at Customs then it really is a Sports Watch and that it looks like it's worth no more than $50.

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Lets just hope that if they do open it at Customs then it really is a Sports Watch and that it looks like it's worth no more than $50.

Well I'll ask my buyer what they want me to ship it as. I can't do better than that and therefore all advice here is taken account of. I understand what you're saying and I appreciate your advice. Ultimately I'll ask my buyer what they want me to send it as.

Thanks