• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Where do you take your rep if it is broken?

DavidModic

13/9/15
EU
Just out of curiosity, what happens when you do?
(I don't/won’t own any Rolex reps)

Apparently, nothing happens. They treat you like any other customer. There are threads on this forum, where people with connections to ADs claim that the official policy is never to confront potential customers. I do not do this regularly or with ulterior motives, but it just so happened that I went to an Omega boutique in an airport (while waiting for a flight) with a Seamaster rep on my wrist - they had the meteorite dial speedmaster and I wanted to see it up close. The replicas never came up. The dealer noticed my Seamaster, commented something along the lines of what a nicely preserved 2535.80 and I said thanks, your 2531 (or whatever) is nice too. We then chatted for a while, I looked at the speedy, made polite conversation and then left.

Reactions: leo6929

Ruj.

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/2/14
Europe
I have visited a few ad’s in the past years and I noticed they never mention the watch I’m wearing (gen). It could indeed be policy just to take no chance and ingore the cutomer’s watch. No risk (-:

Reactions: Eatdirtfartdust

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Apparently, nothing happens. They treat you like any other customer. There are threads on this forum, where people with connections to ADs claim that the official policy is never to confront potential customers. I do not do this regularly or with ulterior motives, but it just so happened that I went to an Omega boutique in an airport (while waiting for a flight) with a Seamaster rep on my wrist - they had the meteorite dial speedmaster and I wanted to see it up close. The replicas never came up. The dealer noticed my Seamaster, commented something along the lines of what a nicely preserved 2535.80 and I said thanks, your 2531 (or whatever) is nice too. We then chatted for a while, I looked at the speedy, made polite conversation and then left.

Every AD I've been in, they are simply sales people who wouldn't know if your watch is rep or Gen anyway.

Reactions: Eatdirtfartdust

Daher

3/7/19
I have visited a few ad’s in the past years and I noticed they never mention the watch I’m wearing (gen). It could indeed be policy just to take no chance and ingore the cutomer’s watch. No risk (-:

I mean really why should they? You're a potential customer and the watch already bought shouldn't matter to them, it's not their job to discredit you or shame you for wearing a replica. Their job is to provide you a pleasant service and try to sell you something.

Reactions: Ruj.

Warrcraft

Renowned Member
14/4/06
United States
In Europe it is. (But it’s pretty unlikely that you 'd get a custom control at a watchsmith)

Yes, I am strictly talking about United States, as for Europe, if it's illegal to own, then finding a good watchsmith here on RWI, I imagine would be the best recourse.

Ruj.

27/2/14
Europe
have send it to Logixa and got it back in perfect working condition.
good to have an adress like that in the Netherlands

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
In Europe it is. (But it’s pretty unlikely that you 'd get a custom control at a watchsmith)

Just to note on this thread (for anyone who may not be aware) - in the UK it isn’t illegal to own a rep watch.

There’s also a very well-respected UK based watchsmith, ado213 on RWI, who can be contacted for UK rep repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

phillies0179

Horology Curious
21/11/18

Same thing happened to me when I was traveling for work one time. I live in a rural town and happened to be in a city mall with an Omega boutique.

I can afford a gen if I wanted to but I cannot justify the price when the reps are amazing in their own right. I will admit I was nervous walking in but didn’t want to pass up the chance to look at the 300m as I really wanted to see a gen in person and I wasn’t about to take my watch off my wrist and put it in my pocket like I had stolen it or something.

They commented on how nice my aquaterra was and I ended up buying a gen strap for it that I’ve always wanted. Considering they put mine next to a gen so I could compare strap options and even I couldn’t see the difference there turned out to be no reason for me to be worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DavidModic

Ruj.

27/2/14
Europe
Same thing happened to me when I was traveling for work one time. I live in a rural town and happened to be in a city mall with an Omega boutique.

I can afford a gen if I wanted to but I cannot justify the price when the reps are amazing in their own right. I will admit I was nervous walking in but didn’t want to pass up the chance to look at the 300m as I really wanted to see a gen in person and I wasn’t about to take my watch off my wrist and put it in my pocket like I had stolen it or something.

They commented on how nice my aquaterra was and I ended up buying a gen strap for it that I’ve always wanted. Considering they put mine next to a gen so I could compare strap options and even I couldn’t see the difference there turned out to be no reason for me to be worried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The AD employees are not all watchsmiths I think. I would also dare to walk in with a good rep. It is not against the law to own one....

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
True. Not all AD employees are watchsmiths but the guy who sits in the other room fixing a watch or who they send the watch to is.

AD will not repair you rep. Repairing a rep means encouraging people to own/buy reps.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

DavidModic

13/9/15
EU
True. Not all AD employees are watchsmiths but the guy who sits in the other room fixing a watch or who they send the watch to is.
AD will not repair you rep. Repairing a rep means encouraging people to own/buy reps.
Sent from my iPhone using RWI

I don’t think anyone was seriously suggesting handing in a rep to an AD to get it serviced. That would be just silly, and also quite rude.

It reminds of a time where a couple of friends and me were developing games for a largish publisher. We had a company and everything. The publisher organised a christmas do, and we all came. At the venue we chatted with some employees of the publisher and one of them was asking one of my developers where to torrent the latest games. See the parallels? How insanely rude do you have to be to walk to a person and ask them what would be the best way to get something they slave over, for free?

jaacked

14/12/18
I personally prefer sending it to a trusted watchmaker within one of the replica watch forums. Do a bit of research and you should find a somewhat local one. Normally you'll have to ship the watch but that's honestly kinda expected if you ask me.

Watchmakers on the high street for example or in the mall might be dubious about working on a rep for many reasons