• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Traveling with a rep

sn95

Renowned Member
29/7/18
you'll be fine with a single watch, don't bring your whole collection or else they'll think you're importing them to avoid taxes and tariffs!!

Chemicalz

Renowned Member
27/2/15
I am italian and i can confirm everything that has been said in this topic. Dont wear anything too flashy else you will get all the thieves attention...a couple days ago an aquanaut has been taken from a 20 yo girl as she left a cruise ship in the port of naples. In Milan situation's not better with rolex and APs being taken left and right.
Dont wear it around.

Reactions: tennisrx7

rxc330

Known Member
24/7/19
Yeah pickpockets are definitely the only worry. They're very good in italy

djbboi

Horology Curious
14/8/19
Been to Italy multiple times and every time, I have either witnessed or been targeted by pick pockets. They usually work in groups so watch out.

Dynaduck

Sales moderator
Advisor
6/4/11
I'm frequently traveling to Italy and I've never had any problems wearing a rep through security. Staff trained to spot a rep? Nah... ;)

Reactions: littowun

dubhdubhdubh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/19
Hey all, great thread. Corex I'm specifically interested in Italy as well, as I just bought on the other site a 'super rep' of the 39mm grape dial, as a gift for my brother. BUT he's a professor in Italy, and Keylog74 I now wonder if it'd be confiscated if I post it to him from here in the states..? Or if I wear it myself over to visit him there as if it's my own?

jst

Known Member
Patron
Certified
4/12/18
Rural Staffordshire, UK
Jail time. Since forgery does great damage to the economy here, local police are trained to spot fake watches and products even when you wear them.

Unless you come here with a franken come without a watch.

Really? Last time I was in Florence, there was a dude with a massive wooden case flogging Fauxlex and scrap level DHGate quality reps set up bold as brass right near the Duomo.

Also loads of blokes in Venice with rip off Fendi and Chanel bags all over the place, they must just chance their luck and do a runner if the cops come.

Corex

Horology Curious
15/8/19
Really? Last time I was in Florence, there was a dude with a massive wooden case flogging Fauxlex and scrap level DHGate quality reps set up bold as brass right near the Duomo.

Also loads of blokes in Venice with rip off Fendi and Chanel bags all over the place, they must just chance their luck and do a runner if the cops come.

As far as I know, you have to pay the real market price as a fine if you import/sell/buy a replica.
I just saw a news where a old lady had to pay 10k for some 10€ Fake-Glasses.

My watch definitely stays at home thats for sure.

Last edited:

atozzotas

7/1/15
As far as I know, you have to pay the real market price as a fine if you import/sell/buy a replica.

My watch definitely stays at home that's for sure.

Yes...but no.
Travel with your watch, nobody at customs will take out the loupe and examine your watch.
The story of the lady for sure have another story, more complex one, only that lady and the cops know.

Seamaster3459

28/11/18
I was traveling to Rome, wearing my franken 116610. I played it cool. Not fast and loose, like I knew I could (it was 80% gen).

I was pulling my sweatshirt back on after going through the scanner, and then I spotted it. A customs officer wearing a GEN 16610. He spotted the rehaut on my franken... my fatal flaw... weakness. He walked up to me:

"Noob, huh?"

"Yes," I tremored.

"Should have gone ARF on the rehaut."

I was detained. My watch was confiscated, and my confidence shattered.

Worst part? His was a franken, too. He was bitter because he couldn't source a gen insert. Moral of the story?

Don't risk it man.

psssniper

Supporter
Certified
25/4/17

Somewhere I have a video of those same purse guys running with the cops hot on their heels, one guy was caught, the rest escaped. Mighta been Firenze IIRC

Reactions: jst

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think

My watch definitely stays at home thats for sure.

very wrong

jaacked

14/12/18
Personally I don't think law's are a big threat. Honestly how can anyone tell you're wearing a rep when most people will call out a daytona for not having a second hand that moves :D

Frankly put I don't even think it's illegal in most countries... if any?

But robbery might be a bigger issue to be honest

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Fake news to put fear in those who travel. I have always worn my reps on holiday for years without any issues.

Yep, you can go wherever you want with the rep you want.

OFC don't bring 110 watches with you, or don't walk around in a Favela with a gold rep, or in any kind of dangerous place lmao.

Colibri

16/2/19
United Kingdom
been to italy on numerous occasions - always wear my rolex rep - no problems with customs, police, pickpockets, etc.

Colibri

16/2/19
United Kingdom
I was traveling to Rome, wearing my franken 116610. I played it cool. Not fast and loose, like I knew I could (it was 80% gen).

I was pulling my sweatshirt back on after going through the scanner, and then I spotted it. A customs officer wearing a GEN 16610. He spotted the rehaut on my franken... my fatal flaw... weakness. He walked up to me:

"Noob, huh?"

"Yes," I tremored.

"Should have gone ARF on the rehaut."

I was detained. My watch was confiscated, and my confidence shattered.

Worst part? His was a franken, too. He was bitter because he couldn't source a gen insert. Moral of the story?

Don't risk it man.

is the customs officer a member here!

mysterio

Mythical Poster
Advisor
19/8/08
is the customs officer a member here!

I believe he was trolling. :lol: No one will see the detail on a rehaut that is even farther than it normally would be on the wrist, let alone identify the rehaut as being Factory A or B.