• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Traveling with a rep

Corex

Horology Curious
15/8/19
Do you travel with your rep? Especially in flights?
I'm planing to book a flight to italy but i've heard they have really strict rep-laws.
Would you recommend it or should i leave the rep home?

psssniper

Supporter
Certified
25/4/17
Last time in Firenze Italy my friend and I stopped in at a small but nice stocked shop. My friend has a Gen Rolex 1675 that he got from his father and the clasp was a bit wonky. He thought the owner could help him adjust it which the owner gladly did. He then warned my friend don't wear that around in public! Seems that nice watches like his are an easy target for the thieves. Thieves may not know the difference between a Rep and a Gen unless of course they are RWI member then they can spot a Rep a mile away!

When traveling I usually take some kind of diver with good lume like one of my Deep Blues.

Last edited:
Reactions: dubhdubhdubh

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I worry about the same thing
If I am traveling I am also probably swimming in the ocean which isn’t great for reps.
that’s why my seiko is my travel watch, waterproof, nice enough, doesn’t draw unwanted attention.
reps are for home.

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
I worry about the same thing
If I am traveling I am also probably swimming in the ocean which isn’t great for reps.
that’s why my seiko is my travel watch, waterproof, nice enough, doesn’t draw unwanted attention.
reps are for home.

Reps are for home........... what a complete waste of time purchasing them in the first place.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
By home I don’t mean around the house
I mean around town and your home country and work. Not traveling to Mexico and taking in the ocean.
just my opinion.

Reactions: Dokraven

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
I disagree, i see reps as a sort of insurance, instead of bringing your 15k Watch while you travel, you bring a 700 euro rep, so if you scratch it you just shake it off, and if someone steals it from you, you will be angry 93% less than if your gen was stolen ahahaha

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando RWI

hokim

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/5/19
I disagree, i see reps as a sort of insurance, instead of bringing your 15k Watch while you travel, you bring a 700 euro rep, so if you scratch it you just shake it off, and if someone steals it from you, you will be angry 93% less than if your gen was stolen ahahaha

I am in the same school of thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mari115

Flinnt

Known Member
31/5/19
Downunder
But if you’re beaten, stabbed, shot for your rep your health is just as badly affected as gen. If it’s a place for muggings then don’t wear it. If those things are rare where you travel then wear it.

Reactions: Dokraven and john45

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17

I agree but depending where I go... with no disrespect to anyone but if I travel to a 3rd world country where the chances of getting mugged are high then I take an lesser known rep, but if I am going to a 1st tier city nobody gives a f if you are rocking a Royal Oak on your wrist

Last edited:

François.Fillon

Renowned Member
19/11/16
I agree but depending where I go... with no disrespect to anyone but if I travel to a 3rd world country where the chances of getting mugged are high then I take an lesser known rep, but if I am going to a 1st tier city nobody gives a f if you are rocking a Royal Oak on your wrist

For me the risk being mugged exist potentially anywhere, personally I avoid to wear a gen or rep when I have a doubt. In fact it's just a common sense.

Reactions: john45

Corex

Horology Curious
15/8/19
In the first place i‘m not worried about getting robbed. I worry about customs or the local law. Does anyone have experience in Italy?

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
As long as you dont take 15 watches with you nobody is going to stop you at the security check to verify that your watch is genuine or not.

1) nobody got time for it

2) nobody cares

3) there are smarter ways of money laundry hehe

Never in my life anyone at the airport had a look at my watch. Not taken off and not on the wrist.
If you dont have box and papers inside your hand luggage nobody assumes that you want to sell something of a higher value outside your homecountry.

(They couldnt care less about 1 rep brought into their country this way when there are plenty of thousands coming in on many other ways)

I would say dont worry and enjoy your trip to italy - you will love it! And IMO you dont have to worry about getting robbed either as it is safe compared to other named countries or cities.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
When I travel I wear only worldtimers, solar, GPS. Either my Seiko Astron or Citizen. Why? For one they never out of sync by more than 1s as long as I keep them by the window. And then for travel, as soon as I take a seat, I select the timezone of the next stop. But of course, in my carry on luggage can be any number of reps, from 1 to 8, limited by the carry case. Never had a problem traveling to/from USA, India, Germany, East Southern Asia, ANZ, Dubai.

Of course, this does not answer your question on traveling to Italy. I have never been to Italy, and if I were to go, I would watch all Godfather movies again and practice the Italian accent. That is my favourite European English accent.

Reactions: Corex

Corex

Horology Curious
15/8/19
Jail time. Since forgery does great damage to the economy here, local police are trained to spot fake watches and products even when you wear them.

Unless you come here with a franken come without a watch.

Alright! Thank you.

Reactions: hblackiston

gatty

Known Member
30/5/19
Texas
But if you’re beaten, stabbed, shot for your rep your health is just as badly affected as gen. If it’s a place for muggings then don’t wear it. If those things are rare where you travel then wear it.

I lost my gen 2 tone DJ with slate dial in LA.....was not a pleasant experience. Worst part was travel insurance would only cover a small portion of it....so I has $9k out of pocket! MOFO's....

Reactions: littowun

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I was briefly in San Marino this past March and traveled Rome about three years ago. No one at airport security cared or even looked at my watch.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Jail time. Since forgery does great damage to the economy here, local police are trained to spot fake watches and products even when you wear them.

Unless you come here with a franken come without a watch.

Ahh, the famous rep detectors. LoL. If you just wear one watch I highly doubt they will give it a second look. Rolex is the one which will attract the most attention due to name recognition. Bring a bunch stashed in your bags and you'll attract attention and possibly be hit with customs duties and a nice close inspection. This was an issue at the last basilworld for gens being brought to Switzerland for the event by press members.

https://www.fratellowatches.com/beware-swiss-customs-targeting-baselworld-2019-attendees/

Reactions: sn95

dubhdubhdubh

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/7/19
Yikes!! Oh man this question holds specific interest for me as well- I'm right at this moment looking at a rep to gift my brother, a school teacher in Italy...