• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Do any TDs do actual QC?

watchinwatch

Horology Curious
10/7/19
Hey,

Something I have noticed is that whenever you buy reps, the chances of getting an abysmal watch presented by QC is quite high ( various stuff misaligned, glue everywhere, and other obvious QC problems ).
Often having to go through various rounds of QC, where after pointing out the very obvious flaws, they agree, and source a new watch.
These people deal with watches daily, and have many of them go through their hands, surely they can spot these obvious flaws even better than customers?
Maybe I just deal with the wrong TDs but I am starting to think this is actually normal given how common this is with pretty much every TD I know.

What is the purpose of QC departments with TDs other than making pictures of the product.
Like I understand we are buying chinese products after all, and they arent exactly famous for quality control.
But shouldn't TD's QC department act as a filter? or do they just try to sell off QC rejects that they may have had laying around for a while, to unsuspecting customers.

If this is not normal, could anyone maybe suggest a TD that does actual quality control and generally doesn't waste time, even if there is a premium to the price.

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
For which you pay good money which could instead go towards purchasing a decent microbrand with actual QC. So no, that's not ridiculous.

Gotta agree with you, I'm getting a bit tired of the "it's a fake" argument. It's not a fake watch it's a real watch that just happens to be made to look like a high end brand. Now most good reps prices have crept into the $400 - $600 and above price range I don't think it's unreasonable to expect to get a reasonably well built and reliable item

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
Hey,

Something I have noticed is that whenever you buy reps, the chances of getting an abysmal watch presented by QC is quite high ( various stuff misaligned, glue everywhere, and other obvious QC problems ).
Often having to go through various rounds of QC, where after pointing out the very obvious flaws, they agree, and source a new watch.
These people deal with watches daily, and have many of them go through their hands, surely they can spot these obvious flaws even better than customers?
Maybe I just deal with the wrong TDs but I am starting to think this is actually normal given how common this is with pretty much every TD I know.

What is the purpose of QC departments with TDs other than making pictures of the product.
Like I understand we are buying chinese products after all, and they arent exactly famous for quality control.
But shouldn't TD's QC department act as a filter? or do they just try to sell off QC rejects that they may have had laying around for a while, to unsuspecting customers.

If this is not normal, could anyone maybe suggest a TD that does actual quality control and generally doesn't waste time, even if there is a premium to the price.

you make some valid points, but it seems to be all about supply and demand.
as long as people want and purchase the watches, things will not change.
there is an element of luck involved, and you land on a good one , but there will also be poor ones that will come through.
qc at the factory is likely basic, and you hope the td will filter out the obvious, but if he is under pressure, likely things will slip through.
ultimately, if you can build a good relationship with the td, he will likely take more care to ensure you get the best available.
jmo.

watchinwatch

Horology Curious
10/7/19
I miss the days when they did no QC. Nit picking people are ridiculous these days. It's a fake Chinese watch.

Nit picking about some lume being off by a hair if you look at a zoomed in picture is one thing.
Not being okay with glue residue all over the bezel, or a pearl thats on the edge of the outline? I'm sorry but, as others have mentioned, you are still buying a 400-600$ watch here, not a 40$ watch on the streets in NYC.
I don't expect QC to be the same level as some 500$ citizen watch ( let alone a 5k$ gen ), but QC pics u see are sometimes even worse than a 100$ invicta, where even someone that knows nothing about watches, can tell something is very wrong.

Tcr4x4

21/9/18
Forest of Dean
Jtime QC watches. I wanted a seamaster he had in stock, but when it came to him sending the QC images he said he wasn't happy with the clasp closing mechanism and sourced another. I would never have known from the pictures obviously, he could have just sent it as is and I'd have been stuck with it, but he obviously cares a little more than some other TDs that just ship out whatever they can get hold of.

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Jtime QC watches. I wanted a seamaster he had in stock, but when it came to him sending the QC images he said he wasn't happy with the clasp closing mechanism and sourced another. I would never have known from the pictures obviously, he could have just sent it as is and I'd have been stuck with it, but he obviously cares a little more than some other TDs that just ship out whatever they can get hold of.
Another example of Jtime doing a brilliant job! Li had his QC guy find a mistake with a planet ocean datewheel and replaced it for me!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Balboa

Known Member
9/6/19
I have to admit I’ve dealt with li from Jtime and he seems to know what he’s doing , My Qi pics were sweet and I’ve seen a few others he’s provided and all seems good to go, it makes no sense even showing a qc pic with obvious errors

Reactions: kennygconspiracy

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I miss the days when they did no QC. Nit picking people are ridiculous these days. It's a fake Chinese watch.

It would be all fair if we sent fake 400-800 $s for the fake chinese watches. Or to be more fair, or 400-800 Mexican Pesos which are 1/20 of the USD and ask TD to accept these fake USDs.

You buy without QC buddy, buy a watch which stops working in a week after you receive it, and be happy with it, but please dont ridicule others who want their money's worth.

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
It would be all fair if we sent fake 400-800 $s for the fake chinese watches. Or to be more fair, or 400-800 Mexican Pesos which are 1/20 of the USD and ask TD to accept these fake USDs.

You buy without QC buddy, buy a watch which stops working in a week after you receive it, and be happy with it, but please dont ridicule others who want their money's worth.
No disrespect, but it sounds like a "back in my day" kind of perspective. It definitely must have been harder then, many moons ago, but times are a changin'

With better quality and higher price should come better QC and some room for error mitigation. I don't mean 40x magnification and complaining about a speck of dust, but more like heinous a SEL gap wider than the grand canyon, or lume shadings being completely off. Or even markers being dizzyingly LSD style wacky.

I can understand how one might think people nowadays have it "too easy" but with the advent of greater technology comes greater quality and with it greater responsibility to make a $400+ purchase count

I absolutely respect the gentleman ( BMW760 ) and his experience, time and contribution to the community, and thank him for voicing his view. It is only with many perspectives that we can come to a better understanding :)

Just my $.02

Last edited:

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
I guess my next order will be with jtime! I haven't personally used them before.
Oh buddy, you haven't seen QC till you've met this guy. Jtime is such a treat. This is his WhatsApp if you ever feel like talking to Li (at JTime) and asking whatever ya want.

+86 139 2886 9440

Last edited:

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
OP, you have a valid point. The "high volume" TDs tend to ship out the first piece they get hold of which meets the general specifications. That is because the rules of this forum lists that at minimum. I will not buy from any of them (except Intime) just because of the complaints posted here. They just dont care a fuck, if you are even a bit particular.

Intime is probably the best of the high volume TDs. I have ordered say 6-8 from them. Their QC folks refuse to send high-res pics. They refuse to send full screen timegraph. I have caught them once sending me a fake timegraph results. Note, Ryan is a stand up guy, but as volumes are high, he cant handle every watch himself. Some lazy employee trying to shortcut his/her way through the job. I repeat, Ryan is stand up guy, and most recent purchase from him was received buggered. I sent it back and he returned it repaired, more than I expected.

Lucy, I have heard good things. She takes individual care of the watch. For my requirements, she advised me against ordering particular models. I appreciated that. But other than the hottest noob, JF, ARF (which have good QC by the factories themselves) I couldnt find anything I could order from her.

Jtime. He probably is the newest full TD. I ordered a ZF full calendar with some custom movement. A ticking timebomb as to when it will fail. He agreed to pick an aesthetically "nice" one and run extensive functionality tests. For the QC, he sent high-res pics, and a video of the timegrapher results !! It has been about 3 weeks since he has been QC'ing the movement for breakdown, I dont know what all he has done, but as of today he said after all that work, he has re-regulated and will ship. After I receive, I will post a detailed review. Compared to others, this kind of service deserves, nay strike that, demands an premium.

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
OP, you have a valid point. The "high volume" TDs tend to ship out the first piece they get hold of which meets the general specifications. That is because the rules of this forum lists that at minimum. I will not buy from any of them (except Intime) just because of the complaints posted here. They just dont care a fuck, if you are even a bit particular.

Intime is probably the best of the high volume TDs. I have ordered say 6-8 from them. Their QC folks refuse to send high-res pics. They refuse to send full screen timegraph. I have caught them once sending me a fake timegraph results. Note, Ryan is a stand up guy, but as volumes are high, he cant handle every watch himself. Some lazy employee trying to shortcut his/her way through the job. I repeat, Ryan is stand up guy, and most recent purchase from him was received buggered. I sent it back and he returned it repaired, more than I expected.

Lucy, I have heard good things. She takes individual care of the watch. For my requirements, she advised me against ordering particular models. I appreciated that. But other than the hottest noob, JF, ARF (which have good QC by the factories themselves) I couldnt find anything I could order from her.

Jtime. He probably is the newest full TD. I ordered a ZF full calendar with some custom movement. A ticking timebomb as to when it will fail. He agreed to pick an aesthetically "nice" one and run extensive functionality tests. For the QC, he sent high-res pics, and a video of the timegrapher results !! It has been about 3 weeks since he has been QC'ing the movement for breakdown, I dont know what all he has done, but as of today he said after all that work, he has re-regulated and will ship. After I receive, I will post a detailed review. Compared to others, this kind of service deserves, nay strike that, demands an premium.
This right here should be a sticky

watchinwatch

Horology Curious
10/7/19

Very much appreciated, guess I was mostly going with the wrong TDs, I sort of assumed that bigger TDs got better deals and higher grade watches from factories.
Jtime just got a new customer, will be the next TD I order from, that's for sure.
And yea, I really don't mind paying a premium ( although, looking at Jtime, their prices seem very reasonable, on par with other TDs ).
The kind of service u described with Jtime would easily be worth 100-200$ to me alone, just to take all the guess work and time wasting out of the equation.