• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Practically, is it possible to swap a Sellita SW200 in my 2824 watch?

raggedalex

Horology Curious
9/10/18
I know they are basically the same due to expired patents. I would like to place it in my ARF submarinerbut i have some doubts regarding the datewheel, can i swap it too?

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
Good question. I have definitely used Sellita movements in the past, but I used overlays and not the whole wheel. Interested to hear...

BabaNJ

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
11/12/16
New Jersey, USA
Both movements are exact copies even the date wheel. But the question is does your ARF sub have a dwo or the date window on rep dial is for eta 2824 datewheel. I have used both swiss eta and sellitasw200 movements extensively and interchanged the date wheels.
One caution is that the asian clones have thier own quirks so the date wheel from a clone can have issues even on gen eta 2824 sometimes. Otherwise you should be fine.

raggedalex

Horology Curious
9/10/18
Both movements are exact copies even the date wheel. But the question is does your ARF sub have a dwo or the date window on rep dial is for eta 2824 datewheel. I have used both swiss eta and sellitasw200 movements extensively and interchanged the date wheels.
One caution is that the asian clones have thier own quirks so the date wheel from a clone can have issues even on gen eta 2824 sometimes. Otherwise you should be fine.

ugh, guess i'll keep my a-2824 then

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I know they are basically the same due to expired patents. I would like to place it in my ARF submarinerbut i have some doubts regarding the datewheel, can i swap it too?

Depending on cost, a new ETA 2824 from startimesupply can be bought for about $180. The instances where an issue arises from the datewheel are rare. Worst case, get a genuine datewheel and have it sanded down to use as an overlay on the stock ETA datewheel. My normal rule is use them as is until issues arise and then drop an ETA in if I like it enough to keep it. Just did this with my AP diver. If the movement is functioning, you can sell it m2m and recover some of the cost of the swap.