• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

WTB: 17yo looking to buy his first watch

yongsum

Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/6/19
i would say to each his own, but my first watch i bought (at 25) after my first home (at 24 and thanks to my wife). it was an omega aqua terra for 2k. recently sold for $2400 with extra strap.
but i would seriously recommend taking out a loan and building some credit up buying a new gen watch. i like omega :)
if i saw a 17yo wearing a super expensive watch i would either think: punk ass rich kid, fake ass watch, or drug dealer. and i've known plenty of all three.
but take your time making a decision and you have found a great resource here for sure either way

Reactions: Tagenth

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I would get a seiko monster or skx007
pretty sure it would outlast a rep

watchinwatch

Horology Curious
10/7/19
but i would seriously recommend taking out a loan and building some credit up buying a new gen watch. i like omega :)
are you seriously recommending a 17 year old to get a loan in order to buy a gen?

ot: get a nice 200-400$ gen watch as many have stated before me

Last edited:

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
i would say to each his own, but my first watch i bought (at 25) after my first home (at 24 and thanks to my wife). it was an omega aqua terra for 2k. recently sold for $2400 with extra strap.
if i saw a 17yo wearing a super expensive watch i would either think: punk ass rich kid, fake ass watch, or drug dealer. and i've known plenty of all three.
but take your time making a decision and you have found a great resource here for sure either way

Don’t listen to this guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CollectorAtHeart

AussieWatcher

Known Member
28/6/19
Down Under
Please dont take out a loan for a watch. Save up for a house that you can make some serious profit on then you can afford a nice watch. You have your whole life ahead of you, don't be in a rush to own a super nice watch. Put your money into the things now that will allow you own material things later in life :)

Gaslight16

Speed Demon
5/7/19
Singapore
AussieWatcher agreed. Don’t get in debt buying a watch now as there might be so many more things you can put money down on. Buy what you can afford at this current stage of your life, just do a little digging and settle on a watch that you are comfortable with that’ll make you happy at the same time. Happy hunting !

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
I have to agree with what seems to be the majority of the group, get an entry level gen. Personally I would look at micro brands - Baltic, Dan Henry, Zelos, Yema, Lorier, Borealis, Farer, and Undone.

Gaslight16

Speed Demon
5/7/19
Singapore
A model that can also be highly considered is the SKX007. You can start out small by buying stock and slowly modify and upgrade the watch at your own pace to your own preference. Easy to maintain and can run you years without a service

Reactions: AlphaProt

Parto

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
2/7/18
UK
Another microband to look at is Scurfa, they make some of the best value divers with the owner being a saturation diver himself.

yongsum

Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/6/19
are you seriously recommending a 17 year old to get a loan in order to buy a gen?

ot: get a nice 200-400$ gen watch as many have stated before me

yes definitely. not suggesting to buy a 5711. but something in the 1-2K range. not sure where everyone lives, but suggesting someone save up to buy a $1.5m house is ridiculous. and the only way to build credit, is to establish it.
it's also good practice for younger people in general. i have friends who have their kids using cards and balancing their accounts at 14yo.

yongsum

Supporter
Patron
Certified
3/6/19
Don’t listen to this guy.

why not. and to elaborate on my first post, i would say buy a brand that holds value if you can. buying obscure brands might actually be a bad investment, where as even an entry level rolex or omega will at least not depreciate.
but hey, if it's possible to buy a home in the near future and buying a watch would impede that, of course go for the house.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Any reliable brand in the $150.00 to $300.00 range, there's plenty of them out there. The hard and fun part is selecting which one.

Reactions: bignicklaw

AlphaProt

Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
why not. and to elaborate on my first post, i would say buy a brand that holds value if you can. buying obscure brands might actually be a bad investment, where as even an entry level rolex or omega will at least not depreciate.
but hey, if it's possible to buy a home in the near future and buying a watch would impede that, of course go for the house.

Thanks for the elaboration. You continued to prove my point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
Any reliable brand in the $150.00 to $300.00 range, there's plenty of them out there. The hard and fun part is selecting which one.

For that price range you get a decent seiko or go a bit funky and get hold of a vintage glashutte

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Why dissuade OP from buying a rep? He is almost an adult and should be able to afford a $200-$500 rep. My youngest one, about the OP's age, worked more than 200 hours this summer, earning $2,500 (minimum wage). Most of it will go toward college in 2020. If she wants to splurge and buy a fake Cartier for $200, I'd let her and tell her to get the quartz version.

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
Hello everyone. After lurking on this forum for a long time I would finally like to buy my first ever watch for my high school graduation present. I have only ever had one g-shock watch as my daily driver and would finally like to upgrade. I am looking for a good deal on a nice watch rep or gen. Thank you I am hoping to hear your offers. I am located in the US

Hmm, IMO at your age, I suggest to buy a Gen like Citizen or Seiko. affordable and very reliable. If you have extra bucks then you can step up the game and look for a rep that will match your style. I know that 95% doesn't care about the watches that you're going to wear, but if it happens that you bump with a watch guy of your age and capable of buying high end gens (Luxury Watches) there's a chance that he/she will bully or embarrass you. Just a concern guy here =) but if you know how to carry properly a rep then go for it. =)

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Why dissuade OP from buying a rep? He is almost an adult and should be able to afford a $200-$500 rep. My youngest one, about the OP's age, worked more than 200 hours this summer, earning $2,500 (minimum wage). Most of it will go toward college in 2020. If she wants to splurge and buy a fake Cartier for $200, I'd let her and tell her to get the quartz version.

Personally I would neither dissuade or recommend anyone buying a rep, but that's me. I collect reps as a hobby and enjoy it, but it isn't for everyone. Let the OP decide for himself.

AlphaProt

Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand

58c90c522f1e21dee2c1fc80df5664b6.jpg

This is why i told the kid not to listen to you.

Anyway OP, i think for your first watch. Buy something that you would be practical for your budget, reliable and something you would enjoy.

Reps sometimes can be unreliable and we don’t want to put you off watches by having your hard earned money goes down the drain. When you’re a bit older - maybe get into the reps scene and see which brand you enjoy the most and start going towards gens.

Kieran1B

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/7/17
I think you need to do what you think is right, you shouldn’t care what other people might think about the watch or where it came from or how you paid for it. Find something you love and look after it.
Whatever you decide enjoy it sir

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: AlphaProt