• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

WTB: 17yo looking to buy his first watch

Excalivator

Horology Curious
31/1/17
Hello everyone. After lurking on this forum for a long time I would finally like to buy my first ever watch for my high school graduation present. I have only ever had one g-shock watch as my daily driver and would finally like to upgrade. I am looking for a good deal on a nice watch rep or gen. Thank you I am hoping to hear your offers. I am located in the US

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Hello everyone. After lurking on this forum for a long time I would finally like to buy my first ever watch for my high school graduation present. I have only ever had one g-shock watch as my daily driver and would finally like to upgrade. I am looking for a good deal on a nice watch rep or gen. Thank you I am hoping to hear your offers. I am located in the US

First this is posted in the wrong section. Don't worry I will move it to the Flame Free Zone.

So you are "Wanting To Buy" a 17 year old who is looking to buy his first watch? I am no expert on that, but last time I checked we aren't in to human trafficking... :lmao:

I kid, I kid, :lol:

FYI, there are no "offers" per se, you need to check out the TD section as well as the M2M section. But please read the rules. Make sure you know what you are doing. Make sure you are posting appropriately and in the correct sections when you do; and good luck.

Last edited:

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Hi,
Congrats on finishing high school and making it to graduation.

Buying watches is like buying a car, you need to know more about what you are looking for than just wanting a nice one.

What is your budget? Are you after a sports or a dress watch?

If you are not sure, look through the “what are you wearing” threads and the Sales section for ideas.

Best of luck in your search and let us know what you end up with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
It's never too early to get a Rolex. DJ Khaled got his boy a diamond Rolex. Imagine that, a 2-year old kiddie with a $34,000 Rolex...
Sorry for the OT.
If you have PayPal, you can buy rep watches in the M2M sales section. Just be sure you know what you are buying (flaws et al). The used reps on M2M tends to be a bit cheaper than the new ones from TD's, and there are plenty deals to be had. I'd also recommend you stick to sellers in the US.

sinsir

I'm Pretty Popular
7/3/11
I'd get an inexpensive gen over a rep. An orient, seiko, micro or something. Being 17 I wouldn't want to rock a rep of a brand like AP, Rolex, or PP. If I did do a rep it would be of an entey level or mid tier gen that flys under the radar.

spotcom

Finger Lickin’ Good
Supporter
Certified
15/6/19
USA
I'd get an inexpensive gen over a rep. An orient, seiko, micro or something. Being 17 I wouldn't want to rock a rep of a brand like AP, Rolex, or PP. If I did do a rep it would be of an entey level or mid tier gen that flys under the radar.

I couldn't agree more with this comment. For $200-$400, you can get a nice automatic Gen watch. My personal favorites are Orient, Tissot, Hamilton, etc. If you buy on the grey market, you can easily get a great Gen for sub $400. But to each his own.

PlastikMan

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
3/8/17
At 17 I was rocking my g shocks and my swatches... had a collection of them... cheap and proud... don’t try too much too soon... I echo what other people say about getting a gen... there are awesome gen watches for 200 to 400 bucks

Last edited:

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
At 17 I would honestly avoid Rolex/Patek/AP. Imo it would just be a giveaway that its fake unless you come from a rather wealthy family. I personally would recommend a Tudor - Blackbay, Pelagos, or ranger

Last edited:

reppy

Renowned Member
14/1/17
At 17 I would honestly avoid Rolex/Patek/AP. Imo it would just be a giveaway that its fake unless you come from a rather wealthy family. I personally would recommend a Tudor - Blackbay, Pelagos, or ranger
Agree 100%, not believable at all
17 year old driving a toyota corolla tells me his $10k to $30k watch is real?
I'll call him out on it being a fake and tell all his friends too.
I might think twice if he's driving a maserati or a G63 or something.

Some people here say you should tell people it's a rep if they ask. Maybe.
Let's say you want to pass it off as real.

I think a good rule of thumb I've seen on here a number of times, is that you may not really want to wear a rep of a watch that you couldn't really afford as a gen.

If a 17 year old got a rep of a $2k or 3k watch, he knows about the watch, knows what the gen costs new and used, and treated it in the way I imagine a 17 year old would treat an item that costs that much, I imagine I'd believe him.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
Agree 100%, not believable at all
17 year old driving a toyota corolla tells me his $10k to $30k watch is real?
I'll call him out on it being a fake and tell all his friends too.
I might think twice if he's driving a maserati or a G63 or something.

Some people here say you should tell people it's a rep if they ask. Maybe.
Let's say you want to pass it off as real.

I think a good rule of thumb I've seen on here a number of times, is that you may not really want to wear a rep of a watch that you couldn't really afford as a gen.

If a 17 year old got a rep of a $2k or 3k watch, he knows about the watch, knows what the gen costs new and used, and treated it in the way I imagine a 17 year old would treat an item that costs that much, I imagine I'd believe him.

well it strictly depends on the person, i got my gen explorer 2 when i turned 18, it's like a tradition in my family, and after that i got into reps, it's all about your family background, if you can afford it irl, then go for it, it will be believable this way

Last edited:

Xabo

Known Member
27/3/19
Germany
I think it depends on the context and what you want with this watch. If you don't care for the prestige and just like a certain model then go for it, even if the gen costs 100k. But than you should be honest and say it is a fake but you like the model and can't afford the gen at this time. If you want an authentic rep you have to consider your circumstances. Are you coming from a wealthy background than you can easily pull off a rep to a 15k gen. In my school many people got nice watches after graduating as their first step into adulthood, so it can be credible. If you just want a good reliable watch for yourself go for a mid price gen. A lot of good brands have been named by the previous posts. I just add some other, but you should look in the grey or pre-owned market because you can afford them their: Zenith, Tag Heuer, Omega, Nomos.

I wish you good luck with your purchase but keep in mind that you should consider it carefully, especially if it means a lot of money to you.

Last edited:

xray7

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
1/4/18
Old Dart
Long story very short, aside from reps for the weekend, I had a gold tone Seiko Kinetic at your age when I knew zilch about watches and was in it for the look. Flipped it and downgraded to a dress gold, fashion Armani, which I flipped as well when the crappy leather band gave me a rash - sold it to a jeweller's kid who put it on a very nice gold done bracelet.

I regretted selling the Seiko later. Its not a big issue to have a nice gen watch at your age (and depending on budget, I'd say get a Seiko if you want something which you can beat up forever, jury is still out on the longevity but a step up might be a Steinhart, either will serve you well), but be real about what you're buying and why at 17. You need a daily wearer which is actually water resistant (shock and horror, most reps aren't) and which won't be finicky on the service front. I had a secondhand Seiko which got a service after years and years of abuse strapped to my arm on a Zulu. Can't say the same for reps.

If you want to get something to commemorate an event like this (and congrats, whether this is the start of another journey of study or if this is game over for school and on with some real world stuff) go gen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobcat12345

noobwatch76

I am serious. And don’t call me Shirley
Patron
Certified
6/7/16
Texas
Iced out day date is the way to go!!!
4d3735f98e9255e76720107b8f9c4d3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whynotsurf

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/6/19
If going with a rep u might want to consider a Tag or something low key and not so premium. If going Gen then u might want to consider a Steinhart GMT-OCEAN One 39 blue-red. Excellent watch you can wear proudly. Good luck my man!

Last edited:

Kestembaum

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
21/7/19
EU
for your diploma it is right to have a good watch but look for a model that is not extremely luxurious (you always have time and way over the years to show off something in line with your person and your future employment)

Reactions: Tagenth