• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Just got my first two reps!

Ball2k

Horology Curious
17/4/19
I ordered an ARF Submariner 116610 LN and DJF Milgauss black dial, both arrived today and they're stunning!

Sorry for the noob questions but I wanted some advice on where to go from here.

If anyone could help answering any of these questions, it'd be greatly appreciated.
  • Would you recommend taking both of these watches in for cleaning / servicing? If so, how would I find a reputable watchmaker willing to service a rep?
  • What modifications are usually recommended for the watches above? I know the Noobmariners usually could go with a prof xtal or replacing the dial, and as such are more mod-friendly, but are there any mods recommended on the ARF submariner or the DJF Milgauss?
  • Where can I post pictures of my watches just for opinions on the "quality" of the reps I received? I want to see if I did well on QCing for future reference (if I can trust my judgement or not).
Also, for my next rep, which of these do you guys prefer? I'm honestly unable to decide, I'm interested in what you all think! I did look at the list of super reps but it seems to not be updated (not to mention it's often disputed, so I don't know).

Tudor Black Bay Red
Tudor Blue Pelagos
Jaeger-LeCoultre Master-Ultrathin Moonphase
Rolex Day Date
AP ROO
Omega Seamaster
Omega Speedmaster

Thank you for your time and advice everyone!

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Ok. I’m pretty sure you are making this all up.

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
No need of servicing or modification... wear and enjoy them. They are a toy, if they start having problems consider fixing them or sell them as they are and buy a newer model.

Ball2k

Horology Curious
17/4/19
No need of servicing or modification... wear and enjoy them. They are a toy, if they start having problems consider fixing them or sell them as they are and buy a newer model.

Will do, but I heard from someone else that not servicing them could lead to them breaking very fast as dirt could've gotten in from the crown during assembly (due to the not-so-perfect working conditions within the factories).

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I ordered an ARF Submariner 116610 LN and DJF Milgauss black dial, both arrived today and they're stunning!
[*]Would you recommend taking both of these watches in for cleaning / servicing? If so, how would I find a reputable watchmaker willing to service a rep?

I would say, just ship any offending pieces back to Rolex HQ, Geneva, with a note "WTF, either service or replace!"

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
To post pictures, upload to picr.me and then paste link to the post. There is a thread about this. Search function is your friend.

I normally wear the reps until I encounter issues beyond my tinkering ability, and then I send to rep-friendly watchmaker for check-up. Watch service is expensive and still no guarantee that the serviced watch will run for a good long time. As for mods... Well, how deep is your pocket? Prof's black hole cyclop xtal is a common mod for the 116610, better bezel insert, better date wheel, etc... You will end up spending more for the mods than the watch itself.

Finally, all the reps you listed are decent looking watches, except maybe for the Speedmaster. You can find more info by searching the topics in our great forum.

Last edited:

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
re: servicing -- Read up you'll find two school of thoughts, one side will say the movements are dirty and needs lube. The other side will say it'a fine just wear it. The reality is whatever you feel comfortable and how long you plan on keeping your watches.

re: modifications - it's your preference, modify a little or a lot but you'll know more if you search and read the forum

re: pictures - you can post them anywhere but if you want to post pictures of your kids here on RWI, use picr.me and copy / paste the BBCodes into your post. Click preview to make sure they're displayed properly

re: next rep - whatever floats your boat. Whatever I prefer is not listed so it's a pointless n00b question. Super reps - you do realize some of those are no longer sold by TDs?

Ball2k

Horology Curious
17/4/19
To post pictures, upload to picr.me and then paste link to the post. There is a thread about this. Search function is your friend.

I normally wear the reps until I encounter issues beyond my tinkering ability, and then I send to rep-friendly watchmaker for check-up. Watch service is expensive and still no guarantee that the serviced watch will run for a good long time. As for mods... Well, how deep is your pocket? Prof's black hole cyclop xtal is a common mod for the 116610, better bezel insert, better date wheel, etc... You will end up spending more for the mods than the watch itself.

Finally, all the reps you listed are decent looking watches, except maybe for the Speedmaster. You can find more info by searching the topics in our great forum.

Thank you, I apologize for asking redundant and easy-to-find questions.

Regarding your tinkering ability, I'm just curious, what do you do yourself and what is out of your scope? Also the prof's black hole cyclop xtal I've heard is very highly recommended on the noob, not the ARF, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Again, thank you for your patience with helping me out with the questions :)

Ball2k

Horology Curious
17/4/19
re: servicing -- Read up you'll find two school of thoughts, one side will say the movements are dirty and needs lube. The other side will say it'a fine just wear it. The reality is whatever you feel comfortable and how long you plan on keeping your watches.

re: modifications - it's your preference, modify a little or a lot but you'll know more if you search and read the forum

re: pictures - you can post them anywhere but if you want to post pictures of your kids here on RWI, use picr.me and copy / paste the BBCodes into your post. Click preview to make sure they're displayed properly

re: next rep - whatever floats your boat. Whatever I prefer is not listed so it's a pointless n00b question. Super reps - you do realize some of those are no longer sold by TDs?

Thank you for your help! Sorry for the mountain of redundant questions. I know some of the super reps are no longer offered, but I was just curious on other people's thought on the list. Do you find it thorough or missing a significant number of otherwise "super rep" watches?

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Thank you, I apologize for asking redundant and easy-to-find questions.

Regarding your tinkering ability, I'm just curious, what do you do yourself and what is out of your scope? Also the prof's black hole cyclop xtal I've heard is very highly recommended on the noob, not the ARF, correct me if I'm wrong though.

Again, thank you for your patience with helping me out with the questions :)

I don't work on watch movement or lume markers. Tried both a few times and always unsuccessful in my endeavor. My bad eyes and clumsy fingers don't help, either.

Prof's xtal will make the 116610 more gen-like, but you need to decide if the cost is worth it, especially since people around you won't notice the difference. I certainly didn't before I got involved with rep watches, and I already owned gen Rolex Sub and GMT.

If you haven't already discover the NWBIG list. You should search for it. No rep watch is perfect, not even the frankens (though they come closer). Accept the flaws and enjoy the reps for what they are (or sell and buy another).