• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I want to build a Franken Datejust

Fantasyfind

Looking Around
13/4/19
Ive looked into it a little and I really want to make a Datejust franken with a ARF base. I saw that eBay is a good place to find the parts? I’m willing to invest a decent amount into it to change the crystals, datewheel, dial, hands etc. What’s the first step to doing this? Thanks. I’d really appreciate help on. Doing this.

watchengsketch

21/5/17
I assume since you're talking about the ARF base then you want a 116234. You can find gen parts on eBay and the rolex forums for this build. The build for the 116234 is fairly straight forward in that most of the parts are just swap in though some people have reported issues with the date wheel not changing dates correctly (there is an easy fix for it if you look through RWI).

If you're open to other models, building a vintage datejust is fairly straightforward and parts are easier to obtain. Something like a Rolex 15XX, 15XXX, 16XX, 16XXX.

watchengsketch

21/5/17
I should also say for a Rolex 15XX, 15XXX, 16XX, 16XXX build, you could easily have a fully gen build (minus the movement) for around $500-900 USD depending on the model and quality of parts.

Last edited:

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Ive looked into it a little and I really want to make a Datejust franken with a ARF base. I saw that eBay is a good place to find the parts? I’m willing to invest a decent amount into it to change the crystals, datewheel, dial, hands etc. What’s the first step to doing this? Thanks. I’d really appreciate help on. Doing this.

You want to do it yourself? Have you ever taken a watch apart and put it back together?

domsdaddy123

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
6/8/15
I should also say for a Rolex 15XX, 15XXX, 16XX, 16XXX build, you could easily have a fully gen build (minus the movement) for around $500-900 USD depending on the model and quality of parts.

unfunfortunately this is not the case. The cheapest option here per your specs is @ $1.5k to $2k....buy well worth it and very liquid build imo...OP my advise is have fun hunting the parts but unless you are experienced at watch craft, have pro assemble it..good luck!

watchengsketch

21/5/17
unfunfortunately this is not the case. The cheapest option here per your specs is @ $1.5k to $2k....buy well worth it and very liquid build imo...OP my advise is have fun hunting the parts but unless you are experienced at watch craft, have pro assemble it..good luck!

Are you referring to the OP's 116234? If so you're correct, but for a Rolex 15XX, 15XXX, 16XX, 16XXX build as I was referring to, you could easily build a franken for $500-900 USD.

domsdaddy123

Patron
Certified
6/8/15
Are you referring to the OP's 116234? If so you're correct, but for a Rolex 15XX, 15XXX, 16XX, 16XXX build as I was referring to, you could easily build a franken for $500-900 USD.

I was referring to your comment of all gen except for movement...thats a really tall order for $900...just not going to happen and if it does, its a fluke..

.Gen case and bracelet is tough to find, even for the 4 dig's..and most of whats out there is beat-up...

watchengsketch

21/5/17
I was referring to your comment of all gen except for movement...thats a really tall order for $900...just not going to happen and if it does, its a fluke..

.Gen case and bracelet is tough to find, even for the 4 dig's..and most of whats out there is beat-up...

Actually you're totally right, I was thinking of a fully gen head only (minus movement). The bracelet does definitely push it into the 1.5k range.

The cases are still surprising reasonably priced though, just managed to pick up a 15000 and 16030 case for ~$200.

domsdaddy123

Patron
Certified
6/8/15
Actually you're totally right, I was thinking of a fully gen head only (minus movement). The bracelet does definitely push it into the 1.5k range.

The cases are still surprising reasonably priced though, just managed to pick up a 15000 and 16030 case for ~$200.

Yeah, gen case and bracelet can be tough to find...It sounds like you got super lucky for 200 bucks? Just be careful that its really gen, especially if your buying off of ebay. Those prices are very suspicious...if your not absolutely 100% sure its gen, just post some good pics in the rolex section and we can all take a look....happy building!