• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep Sub vs Steinhart Ocean One for first watch?

itwastyped

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/4/19
I'm finishing up grad school and taking a gap year to apply for medical school, so I want to treat myself to the first (and only) watch that would look nice enough to wear for interviews and such but that I could also wear every day. I really like the submariner/diver style, and I'm between the ARF 904l sub and the Steinhart Ocean 1 39mm. I would like the watch to be durable enough to wear everyday, and would preferably last me for the next 5-10 years. All things being equal, I would really prefer to get the ARF, but not if there is a significant difference in the durability of the watch. I would be wearing it most days casually, but not underwater, in the shower etc, if that makes a difference.

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
Buy a rep sub. You'll love it. Get the ARF sub 2824. Reliable and feels totally gen. Here's a pic of mine. Why get a homage when you can get a better looking and awesome quality rep.
50f6eccc8f5536d3d856475f182fb0d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

itwastyped

4/4/19
Buy a rep sub. You'll love it. Get the ARF sub 2824. Reliable and feels totally gen. Here's a pic of mine. Why get a homage when you can get a better looking and awesome quality rep.
50f6eccc8f5536d3d856475f182fb0d3.jpg

Thanks, how long have you had it for, and have you had it serviced?

Chubs

4/4/19
Washington State
I have had reps that have been quite durable and have excellent build quality that have lasted a few years (haven't had one for more than a few so I can't speak to how they might run 10 years down the road)...but I am also a huge fan of Steinharts and know that they are quality time pieces and you get a lot of bang for your buck. The lume on Steinharts is also excellent and better than the few reps that I have had, if that matters to you.

Reactions: itwastyped

Cicero

RWI Legal Advisor
Global Moderator
Certified
12/3/15
I'm finishing up grad school and taking a gap year to apply for medical school, so I want to treat myself to the first (and only) watch that would look nice enough to wear for interviews and such but that I could also wear every day. I really like the submariner/diver style, and I'm between the ARF 904l sub and the Steinhart Ocean 1 39mm. I would like the watch to be durable enough to wear everyday, and would preferably last me for the next 5-10 years. All things being equal, I would really prefer to get the ARF, but not if there is a significant difference in the durability of the watch. I would be wearing it most days casually, but not underwater, in the shower etc, if that makes a difference.

Steinhart hands down for longevity and durability. Just take some time and read the posts on RWI about all the problems with replica watches. This week alone there were posts about bezel paint peeling off and a pearl being lost while one member was sleeping.They are replica watches manufactured and/or assembled in small "factories" with little quality control. The Steinhart will have: a new clean, well-oiled movement; quality control; and a legitimate warranty for repairs. If you want a reliable watch to last you through medical school it's an easy choice.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
No guarantees on any watch lasting 10 years without some maintenance, genuine or replica. Considering the company you'll be in, you might be better served going with the steinhart or maybe a ginault. A submariner like the noob or ARF, while I think it's a better overall choice, might draw undesirable attention while you are in college.

itwastyped

4/4/19
No guarantees on any watch lasting 10 years without some maintenance, genuine or replica. Considering the company you'll be in, you might be better served going with the steinhart or maybe a ginault. A submariner like the noob or ARF, while I think it's a better overall choice, might draw undesirable attention while you are in college.

What makes you say that the noob/Arf is a better overall choice (excluding unwanted attention)? Also, is there a bigger difference in the cost to maintain gen vs replica?

itwastyped

4/4/19
Steinhart hands down for longevity and durability. Just take some time and read the posts on RWI about all the problems with replica watches. This week alone there were posts about bezel paint peeling off and a pearl being lost while one member was sleeping.They are replica watches manufactured and/or assembled in small "factories" with little quality control. The Steinhart will have: a new clean, well-oiled movement; quality control; and a legitimate warranty for repairs. If you want a reliable watch to last you through medical school it's an easy choice.

Thanks for the honesty. I'm leaning towards the steinhart for the reasons you said, but still might pick up an ARF in the future if I can

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Any mechanical watch will need movement service, regardless genuine or replica. The submariner is my preference since it's a common design has many parts available in the marketplace should damage or failure occur. Avoid the superclone movements, stick with the standard ETA clone movement. The steinhart, your only avenue for repair beyond a basic movement service is the manufacturer.

loewenzahn

Mythical Poster
16/12/14
Germany
Mates, and don't forget that the Steinhart comes with a genuine Swiss ETA 2824-2 elaboré.

nero389

4/2/19
Steinhart now, Genuine after you graduate medical school and (i'm assuming) make big money. ;)

palaufreak

Renowned Member
7/7/16
Thanks, how long have you had it for, and have you had it serviced?
I've had it 3 months now. I know this watch will run for 3 more years until service. I risked it and bought the JF 114300 with SH 3132 movement.. lots said it's terrible, but now I have that watch for over a year without service and it runs great. Also, since this is an ETA if you service it it won't be too expensive.

IWUGRAD09

Known Member
13/5/16
Midwest, USA
Just got a Steinhart Ocean One a couple weeks ago. I love it. It's got nice weight to it and the lume is amazing. Looks like a Sub on the wrist. The date magnification could be stronger. But overall I'm very happy.

Faj

10/3/19
I have steinhart Ocean 1 GMT Pepsi, it’s great and lovely charmer. There are many reason mentioned already why to choose it.

That said after I got a Rep Sub from ARF.
Happy with it too.

Now if I don’t want draw attention or for situations just to be sure it’s the Steini for my personal enjoyment the ARF

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18
As someone who has both, i would say the build qualities are on par, with a slight edge to the steinhart when it comes to bezel action. The movement is a whole other issue. Winding on the steinhart feels perfectly smooth and the screw threads are well tapped so you barely feel the threads when unscrewing the crown. The sub OTOH has really gritty threads and i feel like i could break the winding mechanism if i wind it too hard. Same story with time setting.

If you get a steinhart with cyclops, note that the magnification is really low, and the cyclops is quite big. Hard to unsee once it begins to bug you (for me at least :p)

Reactions: Faj

MrLux

9/3/19
I would suggest if you are not getting a Rep, why not go for something with a bit of its own real identity, but a similar dive watch feel, like a Seiko SKX 007?

Reactions: ScousePete

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
For the price of a good rep, you can purchase a Steinhart that comes with an ETA movement and a factory warranty. The Steinhart are solidly built and are workhorses. I personally have a few including a LE blueberry GMT. However if you're looking for a rep sub, perhaps consider a Ginault.

itwastyped

4/4/19

Thanks for the input guys, I ended up getting the arb sub. I know it's not perfect, but I'm really happy with it! Only bad thing is I think I might be hooked now..