• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

404 Error: Patience not found on RWI

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
Relatively new and just have to say. From a first-second-30th impression, seems 90% of people here have fuck-all for patience. Can't figure out why though, anyone care to weigh in?

Reactions: Kup55 and Drewsak

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18
Lots of the older members get jaded towards newer members after a while. I don't think some of the responses are warranted but i do tend to be a bit snarky when responding to newbies myself. Its just that the same questions really get posted *many* times a day, and a minimal amount of effort (from the new members) would make the thread totally unnecessary. One can only be so patient, after seeing 100 "best submariner" threads a day for years.

The truth is, all the information we have is buried in the forum one way or another, so any non-contributing post starts to seem a bit extra, especially when its from new members who obvious did not bother to do their own research before starting a thread.

P.S. There does seem to be a group around here that has made it their life's work to harass new members. I'm sure a few names will come up if you hang out a bit more. :(

Reactions: Malik321

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
Lots of the older members get jaded towards newer members after a while. I don't think some of the responses are warranted but i do tend to be a bit snarky when responding to newbies myself. Its just that the same questions really get posted *many* times a day, and a minimal amount of effort (from the new members) would make the thread totally unnecessary. One can only be so patient, after seeing 100 "best submariner" threads a day for years.

The truth is, all the information we have is buried in the forum one way or another, so any non-contributing post starts to seem a bit extra, especially when its from new members who obvious did not bother to do their own research before starting a thread.

P.S. There does seem to be a group around here that has made it their life's work to harass new members. I'm sure a few names will come up if you hang out a bit more. :(
I get impatience when somebody asks "how do I buy a rep" or "which TD has the best *insert watch here* etc. But I'm moreso referring to questions asked by noobs who actually tried to do some research. We were all noobs at one point or another and many are here to learn. If you don't want to teach a noob then don't respond at all. I'm not extremely bothered by it moreso just appalled. I've been an active member on countless forums and this is the first I've seen so much impatience and unnecessary belittling.

As far as your last paragraph I can only ask why. Why waste so much time and energy for something like that. We're all here to look at watches, buy reps, learn, and shoot the shit. Toxicity only spreads more toxicity

Just for the record there is one member who is a Supporter that I came across when first joining the forum who has been of tremendous help to me. I'm actually shocked at how helpful he's been and how he's actually taken time to help me out and explain shit to me especially given that I was nooby as fuck when he first messaged me asking dumb as shit questions that I myself would probably get annoyed at if I was asked now. So for that I am definitely grateful but I know there were several newcomers who came here who were basically scared off due to the toxicity

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
There are brand new members who want to be spoon fed. "What's the best ******?" "Who has the best *****?" "Am I missing something in my QC pictures?" .. No one should get their head shot off for this, but take a few days and read up a bit.. There's a search box on the home page. Use it. When you ask a question, include what you have found on your own and MOST senior members will be happy to help you.. As for the lazy ones, it gets old.

Reactions: KushBandit

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
When I am new in someone's private club house, I read and understand the rules first and try to fit in as best as I can. I suppose I can act entitled and impatient, but then I am sure I will not be welcome (ignored). Same here. If you stick long enough, you will find this is a great forum to learn from lots of folks who have tons of knowledge, and post count does not necessary indicate smarts. I am constantly amazed at the meticulous attention to details, and work people do to improve an already decent replica.

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
To be fair, the search function is shit. I've searched for threads I know exist and have seen the content of and many times still can't find it. Too much criteria pulls up.

Also, I didn't make this post because of me personally, moreso just something I've observed and found surprising due to not seeing it on any of the other 20 forums I've been on.

Reactions: Kup55

rolexwatchfan

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/8/13
To be fair, the search function is shit. I've searched for threads I know exist and have seen the content of and many times still can't find it. Too much criteria pulls up.

Also, I didn't make this post because of me personally, moreso just something I've observed and found surprising due to not seeing it on any of the other 20 forums I've been on.

Are you a "supporter" on any of "the other 20 forums"? Don't mind me asking but maybe some of the areas could be accessible to supporters only? But don't quote me on that.
Toxicity as you've described it goes both ways. I remember this place being free of fault language, free of "another noob asking the same questions over and over again". Free of threads like this because newcomers cared to read the rules and forum first. Now all the newcomers want to be "spoon fed" information without any effort like mydnytrydr mentioned above. So my question is: How long till you get tired of noobs asking the same questions almost everyday? A year, two, six?
Let me know when you'll get there.

Reactions: Malik321

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09

About 3 weeks ago, I decided that I wanted to add a Patek 5711 Blue dial to my collection.... I know very little about that watch other than I like it and it is HOT right now. I did a bit of research and pulled up close to a dozen threads on the watch. This increased my knowledge quite a bit, but I also found the members who are EXPERTS at knowing exactly what the weaknesses are of the different factory reps on this piece, and the excitement about the new PPF factory example that was just released with a white dial... Blue dial is incoming. I had been all set to pull the trigger on the PF blue dial, but after reading all the different opinions on why this particular model was the wrong choice, I am waiting for the PPF. The RWI community was there, sharing really good insights... Again. All told, I've got about a month into my research phase. Now, I'm not even CLOSE to being the most senior guy here, but you know what the really cool thing is? .. The "experts" I gained my knowledge from had a LOT less seniority here than me, but they knew their stuff! .. I can tell you that didn't come from being lazy and asking people to do the digging for them. After a while, you can just tell.

Reactions: tkingjr

tkingjr

Watches & woodworking
Gold Patron
Certified
7/4/16
Northeast USA and Shenzhen, China

You can actually use Google to find things faster than the RWI search engine. I just add RWI in the search.

nero389

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/2/19
I am fairly new and try to research as best I can. I agree that the Search Engine is crappy.

Does anybody feel like some of the information here is dated though? Sometimes when I click on links I receive the error

"Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page.
Please try logging in or logging in as different user Login or send a message to the admin"

Does this happen because some threads are just too old? Or do I have a problem exclusive to myself?

Thanks all.

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
I am fairly new and try to research as best I can. I agree that the Search Engine is crappy.

Does anybody feel like some of the information here is dated though? Sometimes when I click on links I receive the error

Please try logging in or logging in as different user Login or send a message to the admin"

Does this happen because some threads are just too old? Or do I have a problem exclusive to myself?

Thanks all.

It could be both. I believe the forum had a crash or something that caused them to lose all of their files. There are also exclusive forums for those who are a "Supporter" that regular members wouldn't be able to see.

applestooranges

Known Member
18/7/18

Thanks all.

Yeah. There was a big crash a while back. Most of the threads were recovered but it broke all the links. Usually, noting the title of the thread and running it through google will yield the correct page.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
There is plenty of patience on RWI. I equate the noobs to being the impatient ones. No research, just "which 1:1 sub..." and their need for instant gratification. You must be on some special forums, because every forum I've been apart of has senior members who wouldn't give the time-of-day to brand-new members.

Do you have patience for the Jehovah Witnesses that ring your door at 8am on Saturday? I hear they have 1:1 saviors.

Oh, and...
MV5BOTljOGE1ZjYtZGVjZi00NGNiLWFkMmYtZTAyOTAyMjYyZmIyL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI3ODYyNDU@._V1_.jpg
:p:p:p

Reactions: tkingjr

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland

If you see it PM me please. Or any member of staff that is online. I have very little tolerance for this but I cannot see everything that is going on.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Yankindeez applestooranges Ok thanks for the information! I did not know about the crash.

Yep we crashed and lost a lot of info and links. A year later we were hacked by some no brained scumbag. He deleted threads and members profiles. I lost over 3,000 posts myself and all my PMs (30k my PM box was a forum of knowledge in itself) so that gives you an idea of what we lost.

Reactions: MrBeasy