• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why wear a replica? Opinions Wanted

shortyNL

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/5/19
The reason why i buy replica's is also the bang for your buck. If i save my money i would be able to perhaps buy one of the genuine watches i like. Now i can buy all the watches i like and wear them!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G975F met Tapatalk

Reactions: GMT1675

AlphaProt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/3/19
New Zealand
Because it makes me feel like this 60% of the time. It works every time.

78800158b6e074249ba5ab2206eab1d5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jomtones

20/7/19
Number of reasons but here are the top three. Note that I prefer vintage.

1. Where I'm from, any young person going into a high salary field (e.g. finance) can go out and buy themselves a ceramic sub with their first year bonus. They're ubiquitous here and I'd prefer something different and less flashy. I enjoy the overall aesthetic of a sub, but find the modern ceramics to be too shiny and too common. I like wearing something that looks like it was handed down from my grandpa.
2. Service cost: Servicing a gen every five years or so can cost as much as buying a new rep. Assuming the rep comes with an ETA clone, I can pop that in for a fraction of the cost on a yearly basis and still be under the price of a gen servicing at the five year mark.
3. Depending on the build, i can do my own maintenance. I don't like owning things I can't fix myself. Although I can't service a movement, I can replace all other parts. In the case that I have issues with a movement...I'll just get a new moment. For all other parts, I choose builds with parts that are easy to obtain.

Gh0stVintage

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/11/19
On the Mariana's Web
to me, because it's affordable and it looks 95% close as gens. it's a personal hobby to me, i would not spend 10k just to impressed others.

however that will be in the meantime, once i am able to afford the real time piece i will def go for one. that is a promise to myself and it helps motivates me.

2 things, i had learned.

- if you cant buy it twice, you cant afford it.
- every man should get himself a really really good watch in this life time. ( and this really good piece depends on individual taste and price and dream)

cheers ;)

miscusi

10/10/20
NYC
in early 2019, I wouldnt have been able to say this, but nowadays I can. If you boil it all down, There is no such thing as Gen or Rep. Lets say you want a submariner. you got money, and there will be a watch on your wrist. you go into a store, and before you are two watches, One on the left, the salesman tells you a fantastic story about swizterland, and brand, and history and heritage and then tells you the price is $10,000. the one on the right, the salesman tells you its a VSF V2. for $500.

you look left and look right. you think to yourself, the 9500 dollar difference is just for his talk. just for a story. how do you even know his story is true? you look at both watches and they appear identical, feel identical, keeps time the same.. whats to keep the salesman from switching stories from left to right? there would be no difference.

So when it gets boiled down to the reality of the situation, you will have a watch on your wrist, and you really have no way of knowing where it came from or who made it, no matter how much the salesman trys to convince you, its just talk. nothing but talk.

well if you are dead set on having a GEN-GEN, the only way to be sure is to go to the GEN Factory, see it be made, it never leaves your sight, and as soon as it is done, you reach over yourself and grab it off the robot assembly line. it is only then will you know for real you got a Gen. you cant trust the common notion that if you go to a AD, it will be a gen. no, that cant be true, because how do you know they arent lying? you factually cannot know.

So I myself would rather get the cheapest one if all else is the same to me, to my eyes, to my hands.

Last edited:

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
I own a couple of gens and a couple of reps. I’ve owned and sold gens. I’ve flipped a few (yes. I’ve gotten blacklisted with an AD for doing this a time or 2).

For me, it started out as a “let’s see how the reps look these days” a few years ago. Then I went down the rabbit hole of modding/building. Which is just an addiction. I’m no pro and I don’t work on anyone else’s watches but I work on mine.

It’s way more fun modding them or building a franken piece. That gives me a bit more of a emotional attachment to a watch. Currently, I have 3 16800 builds. Which, for some reason was never repped. I ended up with 1 build I absolutely love. The other 2 I’ll probably sell....one day.

It always starts with a good deal on a part. Something like a good looking dial for a good deal and then I start squirreling away parts. Then i get to the build and sometimes it ends up costing close. That’s is just a medium budget build too.

I’ve seen builds here costs 1000s (I’ve bought a few).
I just like the way they look as well as build or mod them. It’s almost like a challenge to me (probably to a lot of others here) to get it close to gen as possible without spending gen money.

I’ve learned sooo much about watches just by reading and watching videos on them. Taking them apart. Breaking them. Fixing them..etc. I’ve probably spent more money on fixing them than building them. But hey, that’s how you learn. It’s also a bit of a zen thing for me. I have seizures (not diagnosed) but they mess me up pretty much daily. When I work on watches, I’m just completely focused on what I’m doing. I never have any issues with my head when I’m working on them.

Hell, I’ve gone to job interviews where they’d ask me the standard “you said that you are detail oriented. How detail oriented are you? Do you have any examples?” I just tell them I can take a Rolex apart and put it back together as a joke and they’re usually like “oh wow!” Lmao.

It’s just a fun hobby.

Starvin48

18/11/19
I do it because I like the way they look, and I like a bargain. I have a couple gens, including the newest 41mm Sub. I enjoy wearing them more than any rep I've ever purchased. Thing is, I still find it really, really hard to part with 10k+ for something my kid is going to either sell some day or keep on his wrist and not understand what it really took for me to hand over the $$ that I earned in exchange for the prize.

It was a huge sense of accomplishment for me to purchase my first gen, but that's it. Now, I just like the way they look, and I like a bargain.

FKemp

Looking Around
18/12/20
I just enjoy the designs and am not in a position to afford the original versions. I'm not looking to flex so it doesn't really matter to me if it's an original or not as long as it functions and looks good.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I have genuine and replica. I gravitate towards the reps for daily use because if I damage it I'm only out a couple of hundred dollars at most, and the battle scars of use don't bother me as much.

jk1846

25/12/19
After having 2 Gen Rolex’s I admit I was a little skeptical of buying a rep but I dove in and bought two of them one for me one for my wife on my first purchase and Yep after about a week I knew that I would never buy a Gen again, my wife actually said it first about the rep Datejust she received, she said “ why the hell would you ever buy another real Rolex when I can’t tell the difference between this one (the rep) or the other one (the Gen) you bought me years ago “ yes the reps have a few minor very minor flaws but until I actually purchased an rep I never looked at my Gen Rolex all that closely and yes it’s a Gen but it isn’t perfect either, My kids at times call me “cheap” I always laugh and respond with “daddy may be cheap but he ain’t broke” if there were huge differences between a rep and Gen like there were years and years ago then no I would own one but for me with the quality of reps currently it’s a smart decision and it saves an ass of money which of course gets spent on the kids that call daddy “cheap”

Reactions: miscusi

jk1846

25/12/19
After having 2 Gen Rolex’s I admit I was a little skeptical of buying a rep but I dove in and bought two of them one for me one for my wife on my first purchase and Yep after about a week I knew that I would never buy a Gen again, my wife actually said it first about the rep Datejust she received, she said “ why the hell would you ever buy another real Rolex when I can’t tell the difference between this one (the rep) or the other one (the Gen) you bought me years ago “ yes the reps have a few minor very minor flaws but until I actually purchased an rep I never looked at my Gen Rolex all that closely and yes it’s a Gen but it isn’t perfect either, My kids at times call me “cheap” I always laugh and respond with “daddy may be cheap but he ain’t broke” if there were huge differences between a rep and Gen like there were years and years ago then no I would own one but for me with the quality of reps currently it’s a smart decision and it saves an ass of money which of course gets spent on the kids that call daddy “cheap”

mikeanh77

13/11/18
Asia
fake it till you make it haha.
I been rocking on my arf 116610 for 2-3 years, another tudor and 1 JLC MUT moon.
But when the times past, i really make enough money to finally own a gen.
But after buying my Gen GMT II, first week i really wear it fkin much, but after week one, i have been continuously going back to wearing my reps. Since the feeling of scratching my gen araised lol.
But yeah even my wife said she cant justify the price i paid for the Gen when the rep jusst comes 95% to the gen and she cant even notice it

Reynald

Supporter
21/11/19
I've owned a couple of gens and I find the novelty wears off for me. Don't get me wrong, its a nice feeling to have a gen for the first year or so. But after that - having all that cash tied up on my wrist hinders other things id like to buy which takes the joy out of it a bit. And plus, I tend to get bored of the same watch. Having top quality gens lets me have a few different really nice watches, and still be content with the look and feeling of something nice.

Now that I have a few people on the books which service my reps really well, I highly doubt ill go back to owning a lot of gens - unless I have a few lazy $$g's floating around which I don't need for anything in particular.

Reactions: David1886

MarkMarky

Renowned Member
30/6/13
USA
One on the left, the salesman tells you a fantastic story about swizterland, and brand, and history and heritage and then tells you the price is $10,000. the one on the right, the salesman tells you its a VSF V2. for $500.

You should add that left salesman is doing everything legal, paying govt taxes and selling item which he owns it. The right salesman is selling an illegal item and stolen from left man's garage which are qc rejected items with some flaws.

Now this detail will make the difference. Not many prefer to buy from right guy even though it's similar with some flaws as it's illegal and stolen. Yes, some folks will buy that and such folks are the ones on here (including me)!.

victor_watch_82

Horology Curious
20/11/20
For me is easy. I love the rolex submariner, but I know that I will never be able to afford one. Even if I can spend 10000 on one after years of waiting in a list... I do not know if I would dare to go out with 10000 on my wrist. I would probably have to pay for a safe in a bank, every 5 years go to revision, etc...
The replica, even if its not 100% the same, allow me to feel something similar, and that is enough for me.
I am relatively new to this forum, but when I read veteran members saying that they owned gens and that in the past they paid less than 3000, I think myself "have these brands really improved their watches that much? Or is just showing the greed of the brands?"
I get why a gold watch or a watch with diamants could cost that much, but... stainless steel? I do not know, seems overpriced... but as I said, I am new to the watch world.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a mit Tapatalk