• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why wear a replica? Opinions Wanted

topgunlb

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/2/19
Long Beach, CA, USA
Yeah I chose a career in the nonprofit sector. It fulfills me tremendously. But the downside is that I will never make enough to buy a Rolex or Patek. Two years ago, I would never have considered buying a replica. But the reality is I will never buy a real Rolex or Patek so I am not taking sales away from either company. I'm a sinlgle guy and I just put a note in the folder that contains my will that says "please don't sell my top brand watches. They are high-end replicas and should be distributed to my friends who would enjoy them for what they are."

Reactions: centrum and GMT1675

Callone55

Horology Curious
28/10/18
Yes that 's it, i prefer wear a real good replica than a gen, i would be afraid to lost it or damage it!

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
Most of the gens are cost prohibitive for good reason except they can. The Swiss makers are greedy, lazy and have soured my opinion of what were once brilliant watch houses. The rep makers have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that high horology can be manufactured and sold for profit for $500 and under. Think about that while people are on waiting lists to spend $15,000 on a stainless steel watch.

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
I just want one watch; the Rolex Daytona. I have the money to spend on it too at RRP. However I don't want to pay for greymarket prices. Therefore, until my name comes through on the waiting list I'll enjoy my rep.

You say that, but after wearing it 100x in a row you'll get bored of it and want something to switch it up

tabamoura

Known Member
4/11/18
South Florida
I just want one watch; the Rolex Daytona. I have the money to spend on it too at RRP. However I don't want to pay for greymarket prices. Therefore, until my name comes through on the waiting list I'll enjoy my rep.

I was told by a Torneau employee that there is no real waiting list. They will only sell Daytonas to regular customers who buy at least 2 or 3 watches per year.

tabamoura

Known Member
4/11/18
South Florida
Let me put it this way. If you had a friend who could make you a 1:1 copy of the Lamborghini Aventador or a Ferrari 588. it would be exactly the same car , same horsepower, suspension,materials, Interior, but it would be built in his warehouse and not in Italy, He would sell the car for $20K Instead of $300K , would you buy it ?
That is why is hard to resist a Pelagos for $300, a Navitimer for $350 or a black sub for $480.

Taz71

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/6/16
Parts Unknown
When I was buying gens my other hobbies (building custom motorcycles) would suffer, I would have to enjoy one or the other, but now I can do both, but I’ve find myself investing that expendable income (Being an adult)

mumum

Renowned Member
18/1/07
I like variety and if I can gat a nwbig/Franken/super rep at a fraction...it’s the same to me...don’t need to overpay...I honestly enjoy my reps as much as my gens.

Reactions: GMT1675

Blue Ocean

7/12/17
I have a few gens AP, Rolex and GP. The way prices have increased in the last few years and the sophistication in the rep market has convinced that it doesn’t make sense to buy gen. I might even sell my gen AP ROC.
Patek is now selling the SS 5711 for more than 55k. This is insane. They have icreased prices by 20% in 2018.
I am happy with this new hobby. Looking for my next Rep is as exciting as modding my current colllection to bring it closer to perfection.
Cheers,

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
Enjoyed reading this thread.
Like a bunch of others I have a nice gen, but don’t wear it often because I’m afraid to damage or lose it.
working in the trades there is a good chance of damaging my watch, so I get to wear nice looking watches, not worry at all about losing or breaking them, I also get bored of the same watch every day, I would prefer 12 homages/reps over one or two gens for the same money.
If I had the money for 12 gens, I would rather use it to pay down the mortgage.

ballgio

7/8/19
EU
For me it's the "desire to price" ratio that leads me look into reps. I didn't buy one yet but already created a wishlist of models I like, but for which I would never pay insane market price.
So again, IÄm quite new but can definetely understand that one can be addicted to this hobby ;)

kennygconspiracy

I'm Pretty Popular
21/4/19
Because I hate gen brands and their overpricing and abusive profiteering.

Making things from years old technology out of a piece of basic stainless steel and charging exorbitant amounts, and were supposed to believe these should cost as much as a cheap car.

When your washer dryer probably has more manufacturing, parts and technology and research gone into it.

Gen's are a joke..

imagine this

£10,000 car vs £10.000 watch

imagine what the differences would be between R&D, manufacturing costs, amount of parts, parts costs

a car maker designs a new car, has to change hundreds of parts.. Rolex make a new dial and change a frikkin bezel and the watch world lose their mind

I used to work in gen watch retail and I turned my back on it when I realized how absurd it is.

I appreciate the haute horology brands and for trying to take on new things and going outside the box.. but your Rolex, Tudor, Tag, Breitling can go F themselves and for some reason I have an appreciation for Omega, but i cant put my finger on why lol
This, 100%

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

boomboombalatty

Looking Around
20/8/19
Champagne taste, beer budget? :)

I spend a lot of time with people with a lot of money, in places where I want to look appropriate. My appearance goals are subtle, minimal and tasteful. Right now I'm looking for a Cartier Tank, or maybe Panthere, in SS, no diamonds. I try not to pick anything that is too far out of my realistic price range (dupe of a $4K/$5K watch, rather a than $50K, lol), because I'd rather keep people guessing.

rxc330

Known Member
24/7/19
cant justify buying a gen (yet), work around rich people and don't want to look like a schmuck and my track record of taking care of other valuables in the past pretty awful so would rather play it safe lol

hung123

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/8/19
For me personally, I'd rather have the gen but won't ever be able to afford it (ie. nautilus and royal). Or I want to see what it feels like to wear + own before buying gen that's expensive but doable (ie. 36mm DJ, wave dial SMP 300).

tim03

Known Member
8/1/19
United Kingdom
The two posts above pretty much sum it up for myself as well. I don’t want the responsibility of having $1000’s on my wrist! I have been known to leave phones on top of car roofs, Wear brand new items of clothing to do the gardening. . . . I don’t trust myself with a gen!

i also think for those that want to try and buy a gen, to be able to wear the rep for a while is a great idea. I know for a fact that the gen crpo Omega I lusted after for ages lost its shine for me after owning the rep, I would have been gutted if i had forked out serious money for it.

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
Why do I wear a replica? To tell time and a chinese made replica is not a bad watch for the price lol.

Whether it is a replica or a genuine, a watch is still a watch. One is made in china or one is made in Switzerland.

Why do I buy replicas? Because I can own around 20 good replicas with $10,000 vs 1 or 2 genuine. I currently own 6 gens and 51 reps (soon to be 52).

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Last edited: