• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why wear a replica? Opinions Wanted

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
Why do you... why would you... wear a replica watch?

It's a question I've been pondering over the past couple days since I joined the forums. And, since this is the Flame-Free Zone, I'll go first.

Up until a year ago, I would never have considered a replica as something I'd wear. I bought a rep Rolex Bubbleback in the 1990's, but only as a novelty. Never even put it on my wrist.

Once upon a time, I had a very respectable collection of gen Rolex & Tudor watches. Over the years, I have owned 50+ genuine Rolex/Tudor watches, including some very collectible pieces (6538, 5508, 6564, 116520, 1680, Tudor 7928 etc). Some were bought to wear. Some were bought to turn-n-burn for a profit. Some were trades for other watches. In any case, they are all longggg gone now. I stopped actively collecting around 2003, so I've been out of the game for 16 years. A lot has changed. And, so has my attitude towards certain types of watches.

Point of fact -- I realize I'll never have the money (again) to own another gen Submariner 1680, another gen 116520 Daytona nor another gen Submariner 5513. However, I'd still like to put one on my wrist now & then. So, a replica (or franken) fits the bill - affordable and the same classic looks. For me, the answer of why would I wear a replica/franken comes down to re-living the glory days of my own collection.

So, what's your motivation?

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
The answers are going to be as varied as the thousands of people on here, but for me, I too am reliving some glory days of gen collecting. The overarching thing is that I had to grow up and stop buying toys for myself and instead by crap for the wife and kids, pay private school tuition and invest a little smarter so I wouldn't end up in the gutter pissing on myself as an old man haha.

The upside is that I can have ~60 watches today (which is four times more than I ever had in my full-on gen collection) with still about a fourth of the basis cost. As I tell my old lady, I'd be stoopid not to buy another one!!

Reactions: GMT1675

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
I own thousands of gen watches and always try to drop it into any conversation just so they think I have "loads a money". However I prefer wearing a really good rep because I don't want to damage my many thousands of Gen Watches.

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
The answers are going to be as varied as the thousands of people on here, but for me, I too am reliving some glory days of gen collecting. The overarching thing is that I had to grow up and stop buying toys for myself and instead by crap for the wife and kids, pay private school tuition and invest a little smarter so I wouldn't end up in the gutter pissing on myself as an old man haha.

The upside is that I can have ~60 watches today (which is four times more than I ever had in my full-on gen collection) with still about a fourth of the basis cost. As I tell my old lady, I'd be stoopid not to buy another one!!

Yeah, I was hoping for a lot of different answers and opinions. Maybe more people will give theirs now that you and beau7816 have. We're kinda in the same boat - though my ship sank when I had a severe back injury that caused me to eventually loose my side business & full-time job -- and go into medical retirement for 15 years. In that time, I had to sell off everything just to get by.
And now that I'm LOOKING at watches again, I see pieces I was regularly buying/selling for less than $2k (late '90s) are now $10k or more. Crazy how things like that happen. I went back and found and old ad I posted 15 years ago for a Rolex I owned. Sold it for less than $1500USD. Now, that same watch has asking prices of $10k-$15k on forums, eBay and watch sites. Mmmmm...if I had only known then what I know now.

Oh well, a franken/rep will have to suffice bc I still have 2 kids in college, 2 grandchildren now and a wife who wants to retire in two years. C'est la vie!

BTW, I like your "upside" thought, too.

Yankindeez

21/3/19
USA
The current market is not in a position for anything you buy now to increase in value that significantly. If anything, prices will probably drop in the near future (and then raise back up). Why buy reps? More like why buy gens when you can buy reps that are just as good for 1/10th of the cost?

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
The current market is not in a position for anything you buy now to increase in value that significantly. If anything, prices will probably drop in the near future (and then raise back up). Why buy reps? More like why buy gens when you can buy reps that are just as good for 1/10th of the cost?

I agree. In the Rolex market, I was buying gen GMT's and Submariner 5513/5512 for $2k around 1998-2001. Now, those same watches are fetching $10k or more. Like I said in another post, if I only knew then what I know now, I'd have one heck of a six figure collection. But, I don't think the market can sustain the exponential climb in prices - not for "ordinary" sport watches (speaking of Rolex primarily). I just don't see something like a 1970s SS GMT 1675 reaching $25k over the next 15 years. They might...but, I have serious doubts. Then again, I never thought I'd see those Tudor snowflake Submariners I used to buy for $700-$900, refurbish and resale for $900-$1100 reach the prices they're getting now either.

I like watches but don't have enough money.

Succinct and to the point. We're in the same boat Art Tic . Grab and oar and let's keep rowing.

Reactions: taximan31

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
I love the looks and style of expensive watches over the cheaper ones. I cannot justify paying do much for a super gen.

I have a few gens but rarely wear them. The watches I wear the most are the Natas78 Pam, his Rolerai, and the omega at150.

I just picked up a Ball gen and love it. Waiting for a Grand Seiko to come in, it looks like a good wristie.

Oh, and I cannot forget my Invicta Grand Diver. Best rep ever.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk
Because I hate gen brands and their overpricing and abusive profiteering.

Making things from years old technology out of a piece of basic stainless steel and charging exorbitant amounts, and were supposed to believe these should cost as much as a cheap car.

When your washer dryer probably has more manufacturing, parts and technology and research gone into it.

Gen's are a joke..

imagine this

£10,000 car vs £10.000 watch

imagine what the differences would be between R&D, manufacturing costs, amount of parts, parts costs

a car maker designs a new car, has to change hundreds of parts.. Rolex make a new dial and change a frikkin bezel and the watch world lose their mind

I used to work in gen watch retail and I turned my back on it when I realized how absurd it is.

I appreciate the haute horology brands and for trying to take on new things and going outside the box.. but your Rolex, Tudor, Tag, Breitling can go F themselves and for some reason I have an appreciation for Omega, but i cant put my finger on why lol

Last edited:

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
THANKS for all the answers guys. So, this leads me to another curiosity question:

All things being equal, would you buy a replica over a "brand" in the same style watch?
----> IE: Parnis' Panerai homage watches Or, maybe a Steinhart Submariner homage

If so, why? Quality, price, the name on the dial, 1:1 styling

Reactions: stale1

taximan31

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/5/16
Personally I have reps of 2 gen models so I can wear them day to day and not worry too much about damage (in my line of work they sometimes get a bit battered) and also reps of models I like the look of but unsure if I’m willing to part with 8-10k for the genuine on a whim (such as the Deep Black GMT.)

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Why have 2 or 3 watches when I can have 10X to 20X that amount, and they look great??
mail

DJ Woody

Known Member
5/8/18
London
I just want one watch; the Rolex Daytona. I have the money to spend on it too at RRP. However I don't want to pay for greymarket prices. Therefore, until my name comes through on the waiting list I'll enjoy my rep.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
All things being equal, would you buy a replica over a "brand" in the same style watch?
----> IE: Parnis' Panerai homage watches Or, maybe a Steinhart Submariner homage

If so, why? Quality, price, the name on the dial, 1:1 styling

No homage for me. If I want the look, I might as well go all the way and get full rep. And before I fell down the rep watch rabbit hole, I bought my share of Bulova/Fossil/MK/Shinola. Now they all sit in the watch box; I felt no attachment to any of them. One day, when I muster up enough energy, I'll sell them for cheap on eBay.

GMT1675

20/3/19
USA
No homage for me. If I want the look, I might as well go all the way and get full rep. And before I fell down the rep watch rabbit hole, I bought my share of Bulova/Fossil/MK/Shinola. Now they all sit in the watch box; I felt no attachment to any of them. One day, when I muster up enough energy, I'll sell them for cheap on eBay.

Yeah, I feel like I'm at the edge of falling down the rabbit hole, too. I want to re-live the feel of that Submariner 5513 so badly. Never even knew I could...until this week. I'm thinking franken more than rep...so I'm on the prowl. lol

Reactions: J0n4s

mediumroast

Looking Around
23/3/19
Canada
I want the look of gen watches but I don't want to pay the same price. Since they price of a homage in some cases is nearly the same as a rep, I'm pondering buying a rep to see what it's like to own one.

Reactions: centrum

atldml

Known Member
10/5/15
I'll play. I have an ecclectic mix of some vintage gen and reps. I was buying the vintage Gens where I could get my hands on what I thought was good value. However, I very badly wanted an Omega 300m Chrono (still do). I did a lot of research and was very close to pulling the trigger when I realized that the rep world had gotten much more sophisticated than it was when I bought some crappy subs in China. So much so that I was terrified that the used watches I was looking at were, in fact, reps. That simultaneously intrigued me, as for what I was budgeting for this Omega, I could buy 8-10 watches, and add some versatility to my collection. The rest is history.

I stopped for several years bc as the reps broke down I wasn't able to find an appropriate solution to fixing them and my watch box became a junkyard. But now that I have a good watchsmith who's able to work on them, I've gone back to buying again.

I do sometimes wish I'd continued down the gen route, especially given the run up in prices (seems like your collection is always worth what you paid), but as has been said before, who's to say that continues? I have the urge to sell a few off lately, and it's the Gens that I'm likely to start unloading first.

Thatwatchguy

Supporter
Supporter
Certified
9/7/17
Easy, gens are overpriced. I used to have a small gen collection of 4 to 5, and now do the same for reps but they are different. I choose to invest elsewhere as I do not see the value in so many gens...in saying that I would buy a gen again and I do miss my tag heuer monaco calibre 11 limited edition:)

Reactions: kennygconspiracy