• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

servicing a replica

Mister Pink

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/3/19
might be a stupid question when I buy a rep watch I will most probably get an automatic ...should I need to service or maybe repair it can I take it to any watchmaker or will they try to confiscate it ...sorry if this is a dumb question bit it's one of the things I thought about

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk

loewenzahn

Mythical Poster
16/12/14
Germany
In no country I know of a watchmaker is interested in confiscating. And wouldn't have a right to do so. OTOH you will encounter lots of them declining to work on reps due to the fact that parts are not available (in their part of the business) and repairs sometimes impossible ending in dissatisfied customers. Plus the old professional honour....
There are a lot of well respected watch makers / smith who do repairs and modding on reps - you find them on this site.

Reactions: Mister Pink

efajri

Put Some Respect On My Name
17/10/16
Midwest CONUS
The reasons I’ve heard from most of watchsmith for refusing replica are integrity, bad made movement parts, parts availability, unrealistic expectation from customer and labor cost (vs watch cost).

I took my miyota aquanut for repair, it turned out the miyota is rep miyota and the parts are very soft easily bent or broken. I was told it was cheaper to replace the movement than repairing it. It’s basically annoying to repair for most watchsmith who are ok working on rep.

They are not gonna call police to confiscate your rep. They just don’t want to work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Mister Pink

Mister Pink

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/3/19
thanks for the replys appreciate it

Sent from my CPH1831 using Tapatalk