• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SA3135 how do Gen parts help?

Sc90

Horology Curious
8/2/19
I've been trying to work out how when you start with SA3135 which everyone says is terrible, by adding a gen dial, cystal and DW will make an ARF datejust 36, as close to the gen as you'll get with a rep. Isn't the mechanism still poor? or does general servicing when you receive your watch alleviate this? Struggling to work out if I should go OOTB DJF or mod up an ARF.
What sort of life span would I get from a SA3135? Does servicing help? Purely superficial and not trying to pass off as gen, just day to day wear because it's a nice looking watch. Also, does anyone know how long the RG plating lasts, it's not wrapped, wouldn't take it swimming or anything again just day to day wear.
Thanks

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Okay so we'll take your questions one at a time, first the plating.... Gold-plated is usually not recommended for a daily wear because it will wear off. It might last a year might last five years there's no way to tell it depends on a lot of variable factors.

As far as adding genuine parts, I personally like to add genuine parts to improve its appearance or ever it's economically viable. In your case there's one part that you didn't mention that is often times at tell on the datejust...the bezel. for some reason the replica manufacturers always make the bezels too tall on the datejust models. I definitely would put that at the top of the list.

As far as movements go your watch actually has the SH3135. (SA 3135 is noob specific which lacks the genuine parts compatibility and is basically a throwaway). The SH3135 movement, general consensus is it should be serviced. There's a couple of parts related to the the change in autowind which sometimes need to be replaced. The movement should run for many years without issue. I say should because with the Asian clones there's no guarantees of the strength of the metals internally. Odds are the movement will Outlast the case if you do a gold-plated model. I would very strongly urge you to consider a stainless steel model or two tone especially if you're looking to build a Franken piece like that. The advantage of the two tone would be as follows, you can find a genuine gold bezel and that would eliminate any concerns wear on the watch head. B if the bracelet gets scratched or warn you can always just buy a new bracelet verses having to rebuild the entire watch

Sc90

Horology Curious
8/2/19
Thanks Rx4Time for the awesome response, I really appreciate it mate. Was thinking of going for the SS/RG and yeah replacing the band if necessary and I never thought about the bezel so thanks for the recommendation. Excited to get this project underway. Thanks again mate