• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Buying a watch at the Watch Market at Guangzhou

Maddes

Horology Curious
27/1/19
Hey all,

did somebody of you buy a watch at the Watch Markets in Guangzhou? I did search the Forum but found very little about that, and if people said it is not a good idea.

Are there any tips or tricks,and recommendations what to look for, and dealers you know.
I went there in February, and it was overwhelming, so I had no idea what to look for.
Did buy a Omega Seamaster 007 Edition. Think now it wasn’t it good deal.

would like to be more prepared when I am going back next time.
I understand that there will be a lot of crap, but I am sure there will be good reps well.

any input is much appreciated.

thanks

bobandshawn

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
29/10/13
Florida
It's a novel and memorable experience, but you'll never get the quality to $$$ of our TD's...

B

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
It's a novel and memorable experience, but you'll never get the quality to $$$ of our TD's...

B

Wrong...
you’ll have to “work your ass” to find some but it can be found..

Tips&tricks? There are several threads where members describe their experiences..it’s fun, go for it if you have patience and time.

NaviChief

I'm Pretty Popular
30/8/06
Many years ago, there was a thread that gave detailed description from a member's trip to Guangzhou including lots of pictures and narrative. I'm afraid its been long lost to the various data losses that the forums have suffered. It might even have been on RWG, I can't remember.

The gist I remember is that you have to keep asking to see the best quality stuff. You will be presented with crap after crap, but if you are persistent and keep asking for better, eventually they will either lead you to a different location where the better goods are, or pull it out from somewhere not on display.

Bartering with Chinese venders is a whole different topic. I've also seen it stated that the final prices that foreigners were able to negotiate on the really good pieces, were not that much lower than the TD's.

This was from way before the time when we knew the factory names, so asking for specific pieces by factory may be helpful now.

Either way, I'd love to go and have the opportunity to try!

shyreplover

Renowned Member
12/6/06
Many years ago, there was a thread that gave detailed description from a member's trip to Guangzhou including lots of pictures and narrative. I'm afraid its been long lost to the various data losses that the forums have suffered. It might even have been on RWG, I can't remember.

The gist I remember is that you have to keep asking to see the best quality stuff. You will be presented with crap after crap, but if you are persistent and keep asking for better, eventually they will either lead you to a different location where the better goods are, or pull it out from somewhere not on display.

Bartering with Chinese venders is a whole different topic. I've also seen it stated that the final prices that foreigners were able to negotiate on the really good pieces, were not that much lower than the TD's.

This was from way before the time when we knew the factory names, so asking for specific pieces by factory may be helpful now.

Either way, I'd love to go and have the opportunity to try!

Yes I remembered the thread... very detailed desc, including info on how you can stay the night for free across the street if you pay for a lady service.
It was a watch market close to a train station and there are 2 eight story building packed with watches. The surrounding area is full with stores selling parts and assembly shops.