• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do I identify a TD with the watch I want?

wallaby1

Horology Curious
17/12/18
Florida, United States
This is the first time I've participated on a forum and have done hours of reading. I can't seem to find an answer to this seemingly incredibly basic question, and I am having trouble getting the search to work in my favor. I want a fairly specific 28mm Rolex, but don't know how to identify a TD who can get one. Do I PM/Email all the TDs till someone says they can get it?

Now just to check my buying knowledge: After selecting a TD, we make sure that we have the same watch in mind, I wait for production and request QC pics, pay via PayPal, wait very patiently, expect some degree of shipping damage, have the watch serviced, then leave a glowing review.

Tips for anything, including how to navigate the forum, are greatly appreciated!

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Unfortunately yes, email a couple of them and see if they can source it. Remember Chinese New year is coming so they might not be able to respond until after.

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
This is the first time I've participated on a forum and have done hours of reading. I can't seem to find an answer to this seemingly incredibly basic question, and I am having trouble getting the search to work in my favor. I want a fairly specific 28mm Rolex, but don't know how to identify a TD who can get one. Do I PM/Email all the TDs till someone says they can get it?

Now just to check my buying knowledge: After selecting a TD, we make sure that we have the same watch in mind, I wait for production and request QC pics, pay via PayPal, wait very patiently, expect some degree of shipping damage, have the watch serviced, then leave a glowing review.

Tips for anything, including how to navigate the forum, are greatly appreciated!

You have a few things wrong and the wrong way round !!!

There is a whole section on this site called TRUSTED DEALERS ( I think you may have make a specific number of posts before you can see it ?? ). Here you will see the TD contact details and website links . Those that have websites you can click on the links and look at the 28mm Rolex watches they have available ( obviously it is a DJ ) . If you see the watch you want email the TD to see if available , they will email back giving a yes and send you details on how to order ( most work in exactly the same way but order processing can differ slightly between TD's) ) and the payment methods available . If you don't see the watch you want email the TD with watch details and see if there is in fact a rep available. Some TD's don't have websites so trade is done through email .

You agree to buy the watch and send payment , the dealer will confirm they have received payment and will source your watch . THIS is where you go wrong chap . One you don't wait for production the TD's don't make the watches and they aren't made to order . Secondly you send your payment before the TD sources your watch and sends QC pictures . Lastly you won't be paying PayPal with any dealers , some don't take it ! If a TD will accept PP they will only let you pay this way once a relationship of trust has been built and you have been a regular customer.

Once the TD has your watch he will send your QC pics , you look and once accepted they send your watch . They will give you a ref/airway bill number so you can track on your carriers site .

As far as EXPECTING some degree of shipping damage ??? I would be disappointed if my watch arrived damaged , the TD's are experienced and pack them bomb proof ( though occasionally members do report transit damage but this is usually parts working lose from movements). Also servicing , not ALL watches need servicing OOTB , in fact I have only ever serviced one of my reps on arrival.

If you are looking for a 28mm DJ as I suspect then reps of these aren't very good . If you are the guy who was looking for a vintage < 31mm DJ this week then you have already been told a rep of the watch isn't available . Finally my advice never come on here looking a SPECIFIC watch you will end up disappointed if there isn't a NWBIG rep of the watch available. Much better check for watch, if the consensus of the forum and TD advice is that the rep is poor . Then broaden your search and buy something else .

Last edited:
Reactions: beau7816

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Best way mate is to find a pic of what you want and email some of the dealers the photo and ask if it is available.
Since you are after a very specific piece it may be best to start with the more personalised smaller dealers such as MarvellousReplica, TrueTime and WatchFinder

wallaby1

Horology Curious
17/12/18
Florida, United States
You have a few things wrong and the wrong way round !!!

There is a whole section on this site called TRUSTED DEALERS ( I think you may have make a specific number of posts before you can see it ?? ). Here you will see the TD contact details and website links . Those that have websites you can click on the links and look at the 28mm Rolex watches they have available ( obviously it is a DJ ) . If you see the watch you want email the TD to see if available , they will email back giving a yes and send you details on how to order ( most work in exactly the same way but order processing can differ slightly between TD's) ) and the payment methods available . If you don't see the watch you want email the TD with watch details and see if there is in fact a rep available. Some TD's don't have websites so trade is done through email .

You agree to buy the watch and send payment , the dealer will confirm they have received payment and will source your watch . THIS is where you go wrong chap . One you don't wait for production the TD's don't make the watches and they aren't made to order . Secondly you send your payment before the TD sources your watch and sends QC pictures . Lastly you won't be paying PayPal with any dealers , some don't take it ! If a TD will accept PP they will only let you pay this way once a relationship of trust has been built and you have been a regular customer.

Once the TD has your watch he will send your QC pics , you look and once accepted they send your watch . They will give you a ref/airway bill number so you can track on your carriers site .

As far as EXPECTING some degree of shipping damage ??? I would be disappointed if my watch arrived damaged , the TD's are experienced and pack them bomb proof ( though occasionally members do report transit damage but this is usually parts working lose from movements). Also servicing , not ALL watches need servicing OOTB , in fact I have only ever serviced one of my reps on arrival.

If you are looking for a 28mm DJ as I suspect then reps of these aren't very good . If you are the guy who was looking for a vintage < 31mm DJ this week then you have already been told a rep of the watch isn't available . Finally my advice never come on here looking a SPECIFIC watch you will end up disappointed if there isn't a NWBIG rep of the watch available. Much better check for watch, if the consensus of the forum and TD advice is that the rep is poor . Then broaden your search and buy something else .

Thanks for your comprehensive answer! I can see the Trusted Dealer section and have read up in it. I am now noticing that most TDs don't accept paypal. I think I'm going to switch to the 31mm because the wife's 36mm Seiko 5 is almost the right size, just a bit too large. the 34mm may still be too big.

As far as my misconception of seeing QC pictures before payment, I did not scroll down to the replies to this "noob's guide." As I said, I'm still getting used to the forum format.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/replica-faq/66103-compete-noobs-guide-to-buying-you-first-rep

I read a "For new members" post where the writer said that paying for some shipping damage yourself is easier than sending the watch back to to be repaired and causes less strain on dealer-customer relations. linked below, 3rd paragraph.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...mbers-read-immediately-after-your-first-order

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Correct....sending back to China can be a nightmare...watches not picked up, watches missing ect ect...

chocolito

I'm Pretty Popular
12/9/17
Thanks for your comprehensive answer! I can see the Trusted Dealer section and have read up in it. I am now noticing that most TDs don't accept paypal. I think I'm going to switch to the 31mm because the wife's 36mm Seiko 5 is almost the right size, just a bit too large. the 34mm may still be too big.

As far as my misconception of seeing QC pictures before payment, I did not scroll down to the replies to this "noob's guide." As I said, I'm still getting used to the forum format.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...-you-first-rep

I read a "For new members" post where the writer said that paying for some shipping damage yourself is easier than sending the watch back to to be repaired and causes less strain on dealer-customer relations. linked below, 3rd paragraph.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...ur-first-order

The shipping damage paragraph in the new members section is a caveat and an exception not a rule .You should expect the watch to arrive UNDAMAGED rather than the other way round . There are thousands and thousands of watches that have been sold to/between forum members, 99.9% get to the customer in one piece . As i have already said watches that don't make it in one piece , the damage is usually mechanical a screw or part coming loose in the movement meaning the watch is DOA . In this case you should get it repaired by a local rep friendly watchsmith or forum member ( there area lot of skilled watchsmiths on here ) , you might as well get it serviced while it's in the shop .Obviously it will cost , but just put it down to experience and carry on . Sending it back to China for a free repair is too much hassle. The TD has very little control over the length of time it takes to do the repair , and the quality of the repair .

Do yourself a favour and buy a 36mm DJ for your wife . The lug shape is different to the Seiko so it will fit smaller , my wife has one and it looks great .

Last edited:
Reactions: wallaby1