• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Am I expected to service the watches every time I get one?

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
Not at all.
I serviced (not really) an Aquanuat because the hands were touching the dial...
Not even my watches with the 2813 get serviced... maybe I've just been lucky... (my watches have A2824/A2836/SH3135 plus various with the infamous DG2813, only one has a Swiss 7750)

catana1981

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
14/10/12
UK
I Only service them when they stop.
Some are 6 years old and still running with no problems.

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
NewYorkR The possible rule of thumb is if you intend to keep the watch it could be better to get it serviced through the Forum contacts. Even then if you decide to sell the watch you can include the cost of the service when selling (providing you have proof to the moderators/buyer) but cannot include postage costs.

Hor-Fan

When the going gets weird
Supporter
Certified
14/1/17
Bat Country
You may not need a full service, but it’s a good idea to have a new rep inspected for potential problems ( loose screws,dirt,metal shards) and possibly lubing of the auto wind module and water resistance testing.

stanevo6

computer says no
29/5/17
The Low Lands
I have a GF FM. hands touched the dial too. had it fixed and my watch smith oiled the rotor. now running like a kitten :)

than one of my first reps, a rollie, bought in 1998, back than it was 70 guilders or so, a very cheap rep indeed. But, it worked all these years, without any attention or service, until a few weeks ago. it stopped. My watch smith advised me to put a new movement in the watch.

My AP diver FC XF V2 worked out of the box. Will service it when it stops. Than a DH Gate RM, working like a charm .

So……… you tell me :) :)

NewYorkR

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/9/18
Yes completely tried winding it. Wore it again today. Worked for 5 hours then stopped on the wrist. I know I am dealing with a replica but I at least expect it to run for a few months. Not be dead out the box

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Yes completely tried winding it. Wore it again today. Worked for 5 hours then stopped on the wrist. I know I am dealing with a replica but I at least expect it to run for a few months. Not be dead out the box

Even though the quality of rep movements have improved over the years it’s still hit or miss. I stick with the reliable movements and stay away from the fancy clone movements. I only service them when needed. Don’t send it back to China. Find a local watchsmith to take a look at it for you. Unfortunately, it’s part of the rep game. Good luck.

NewYorkR

8/9/18
Even though the quality of rep movements have improved over the years it’s still hit or miss. I stick with the reliable movements and stay away from the fancy clone movements. I only service them when needed. Don’t send it back to China. Find a local watchsmith to take a look at it for you. Unfortunately, it’s part of the rep game. Good luck.
Isn't the movement below actually good? I thought so.....Oh well I have bought 4 reps so far..the one that works like a horse is the A2824 royal oak offshore diver...rest are rubbish...
Japanese MIYOTA 9015 24J automatic movement at 28800vph

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Isn't the movement below actually good? I thought so.....Oh well I have bought 4 reps so far..the one that works like a horse is the A2824 royal oak offshore diver...rest are rubbish...
Japanese MIYOTA 9015 24J automatic movement at 28800vph

The 9015 can have a noisy rotor but is a very reliable movement. I have several gen watches with the same movement. You should not be having problems with it.

xray7

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
1/4/18
Old Dart
The 9015 can have a noisy rotor but is a very reliable movement. I have several gen watches with the same movement. You should not be having problems with it.

This.

I've dallied with the 9015s a bit, yet to have one which approached smooth without a service. Its a pretty decent movement which is available on a contextually unrestricted basis meaning they can show up in reps from the various ethereal 'factories', but the trade off is that it isn't the smoothest movement going straight OOTB.

NewYorkR

8/9/18

Wouldn't know about the noise considering the one I received yesterday has a rotor that won't move....oh well and they told me they tested it for a day ????????‍♂️

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Wouldn't know about the noise considering the one I received yesterday has a rotor that won't move....oh well and they told me they tested it for a day ????????*♂️

If your rotor won’t move that explains why it’s not working and has limited reserve. What do you mean by won’t move? Please post a picture.

loewenzahn

Mythical Poster
16/12/14
Germany
if movement stands still, a still is all you need. Wouldn't look different in a video lol

shinynewbling25

aprilia
29/1/15
Where your daughter is
Hey New Yorker, seems like you're 0 for two on your movement that you've received. It happens. Honestly, it is the rep game. Tough to hear but it really is. No matter what movement you get it's still dirty parts most likely and put together with bad lubrication or by non professional watch makers.

Most here have bought many reps. I've bought/sold 30+ reps at least. some stats.

Had 4 seizures by customs.

Of my movements:

Cheap movement 2815 or 21 or 23j movements (seen it listed with both jewel counts so not sure which is correct) I've had 2 for many years and both work great with full power reserve.

Miyota 9015--I've had mixed results. Of two watches one barely stays working for 5 hours or so after wearing then stops and the other works fine so 50% fail rate for me.

Chrono movements: All kept time on the wrist when worn well. 70% have had auto winding issues where they will only stay running 24hrs after being worn fully so not full power reserve. They did keep time fine while being worn though so no complaints and kept over 12 hrs of power reserve which is the minimum I can take and still pick up a running watch the next day. Basically this hasn't been an issue for but it would be nice if I got full power reserve. I don't use the chronos and try to avoid hand winding them.

Asian 2824/2836 movements: I'd say 30% rate of failure. They would either not get many hours of power reserve and in a few instances the crown would not engage fully when winding and it would "pop out" and have to be pushed back in/pulled out again to wind for two hours and it would popout again. One is a gmt version and it ran for a week now won't run at all even if wound. Some of the defects were in watches I didn't care about so no biggie but a couple were in watches I was really looking forward to so I was really disappointed they didn't work. All part of the rep game I guess and I did not contact the TD as I took it as part of the risk with the thought that I would just swap movements (I'm lazy and never ended up doing it so I have so broken watches I hope to wear someday).

Lastly the 6497 manual wind movement--had two and they worked flawlessly.

So seems like your bad luck is hitting early in your collecting and in pieces you were really hoping to wear frequently which sucks but seems the easiest thing is to buy replacement movements, learn how to pull off hands and drop in a new movement or find someone else to do it.

Good luck man and hope you stick around and not be one of these people that just gets a rep rolex/pam/ap without knowing anything, fakes it's real at work and to impress their friends and co-workers and you never hear from them again. Annnnd long post over :)

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I've had three 21 jewel lowbeats fail on me out of 10, but all of my A2824 and A2836 work (26) .. All of my Miyota's work (6) and all of my SH3135 work (3) .. My old A7750 are my worst performers due to the old "Sec @ 6" issues .. half of them died, LoL!!

beau7816

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/9/16
UK Devon
It's simple really if you intend to keep the watch then get it serviced.