• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Customs: What's the worst that could happen?

Chuckchewable

Horology Curious
21/1/17
United States
Hi I'm in CONUS and considering an M2M sale from the EU... My noob question is: If customs finds the package and opens it, what's the worst that could happen? They just seize the package and send me a letter, right? Or do I get dragged out of my bed in the middle of the night by the FBI?

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
Good question. You have the benefit of the doubt. Just deny everything.

I'm interested in what the odds are that a parcel gets searched when shipping overseas.

reptime101

15/9/18
If your full name and accurate address is on the parcel then you'll likely be put on a database and if it happens again... well lets just say a man with a double O and a license to kill will be coming after you. wear it in good health!

xray7

Renowned Member
1/4/18
Old Dart
It'd need to be detected first.

Let's say someone actually put "CONTAINS ILLICIT COMMODITIES" on the box in several languages and it manages to catch the attention of a CBP - even then, it is highly unlikely a state tier agency, having found a timepiece of dubious origin, will be dragging you out of bed.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I've shipped many many watches to the US, all have gotten through customs without any problem - except one.

God rest his soul, he fought valiantly for that 5513, but it was not to be.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
My Uncle Ned spent 5 years in Leavenworth for smuggling a shipment of replicas into the United States. He had 10-20 watches. If it’s just 1 or 2 watches you are probably ok.

DanRep

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/8/17
My Uncle Ned spent 5 years in Leavenworth for smuggling a shipment of replicas into the United States. He had 10-20 watches. If it’s just 1 or 2 watches you are probably ok.

big difference between buying a watch and getting it shipped to you...and actively smuggling counterfeit goods. nothing is going to happen to the end user that's buying a watch or two. now if you are going to be watch mule with 20-30 watches inserted up your ### crossing the border, they will probably give you a little more attention :)

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
Rolex has thier own S.w.a.t that will raid your house if your caught

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
big difference between buying a watch and getting it shipped to you...and actively smuggling counterfeit goods. nothing is going to happen to the end user that's buying a watch or two. now if you are going to be watch mule with 20-30 watches inserted up your ### crossing the border, they will probably give you a little more attention :)

Nonsense - that would depend very much on what country you are in. There many countries where importing 1 fake watch will get you a heavy fine, some countries will go even further if you're caught importing several counterfeit items.

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
You will get a letter asking if you want to keep or reject the seized items which requires you to visit the processing center. If no response or rejected they claim to destroy them. That is what happened to my 800 dollars in Cuban cigars from PuroExpress several years back.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I think if you read the actual laws they will define smuggling as importing into, exporting out of , or offering to import into , or offering to export out of the United States any restricted item without proper legal authorization constitutes a criminal act .....

Last edited:

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
actually i just made that up , but it sure sounds scary ......

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
ask the seller to pull the crown, take of the bracelet and put in a handwritten letter it is a watchg for repair/parts...saved me a few times...

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
You will get a letter asking if you want to keep or reject the seized items which requires you to visit the processing center. If no response or rejected they claim to destroy them. That is what happened to my 800 dollars in Cuban cigars from PuroExpress several years back.

No.

If the person is living in the place as you, then this person will get a letter asking they want to contest the decision to destroy the fake watch or if they agree to having their fake watch destroyed.

The same rules do not apply to every fucking country on the face of this planet.

Last edited:

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
No.

If the person is living in the place as you, then this person will get a letter asking they want to contest the decision to destroy the fake watch or if they agree to having their fake watch destroyed.

The same rules do not apply to every fucking country on the face of this planet.

My story is circa 1999 and that is how it was addressed to me. I understood if I wanted to claim them that is when fines would be levied. So I called the number provided to Memphis customs and they asked if I wanted to claim them. I said no, phone call ended and I never heard from them again.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
My story is circa 1999 and that is how it was addressed to me. I understood if I wanted to claim them that is when fines would be levied. So I called the number provided to Memphis customs and they asked if I wanted to claim them. I said no, phone call ended and I never heard from them again.

Breaking News - the USA is not the only country in the world. Relating your experience with US Customs is only relevant to people living in the USA.

The people living outside of the USA - the inhabitants of what are known as 'Other Countries' are surprisingly enough, subject to the laws of the country they are living in.

Reactions: Katarsis

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
Breaking News - the USA is not the only country in the world. Relating your experience with US Customs is only relevant to people living in the USA.

The people living outside of the USA - the inhabitants of what are known as 'Other Countries' are surprisingly enough, subject to the laws of the country they are living in.

And where is your disdain for those claim the FBI and swat are going to kick in this guys doors? Those are America only organizations.

I did say it was my experience and since I live in the USA it was from my perspective.

So my story that it ain't so bad is worse than those yucking it up saying he is going to get raided. Got it. Those are comic relief and if this were comedy Central it would be in a proper place. Why isn't that considered trhread crapping. It is useless info to the ops inquiry and while funny is not the reality.