• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Endless Search For My Submariner

Madison

Horology Curious
20/7/18
I have been looking for over a year off and on to find the Submariner I want and it's driving me crazy. I picked up one from DHGate only to learn $60 does not get much. The movement is junk, the clasp falls off and lesson learned. I have done some more research and noticed people say that the ETA 2836-2 movement is a good dependable movement that would give me years of use. But the threads for this are 2 years old referring to the NOOB V7. They also had a V7 ETA 3135 but did not review as well. Now the V8 and V9's are out and being offered in ETA 2836 -2 and ETA 3135 but I can't find any new opinions. Is it still a good choice to go with the ETA 2836-2? What version NOOB would you pick? Is there some other to consider?
I just want a Submariner that I can get that is going to be very dependable for many years and aesthetically correct. I own watches that I have had for over 40 years and they still look and work great. I can't afford to spend the money for the real thing but would pop $500 to $600 for the replica. By the way it would be the most I ever spent on a watch.
Your help would really be appreciated.

john45

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/4/18
Sonoma
Hardly an expert here, but the big advantage in my eyes to the Swiss ETA 2836-2 is that most any competent watchsmith can service it. If you plan on keeping the watch for a long time, that's important. If the hands going the wrong way when setting the watch bothers you, you can go with a SH3135, but beware of 2 things. First, the movement needs to be serviced immediately because of the dirty conditions in the factory and second, not all watchsmiths will work on the 3135 clones. Pick your poison.....

Reactions: Madison

Madison

Horology Curious
20/7/18
One of my fears is are they really going to send me a watch with an actual Swiss ETA 2836-2 movement or is it going to come with a clone. After all they are cloning the watch itself. I am hoping people on here have bought these things and know what really happens. It is so frustrating trying to figure this all out when you don't know what seller to trust. $500 is a great deal of money for a watch for me.

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
Endless search? Stop wasting your time. There is no a flawless rep.Period. Buy a good one (ARF, Noob... Some of high quality) and made your own mind and taste... If you will be not happy with your rep you can : 1) improve it with better parts (dial, hands etc.) 2) resell it in the M2M market 3)buy a gen....

Madison

Horology Curious
20/7/18
lorenzo1910, thanks for the comment. I just want a good dependable black sub rep that looks good to the average guy and will give me years of service for around $500. So far it looks like the Swiss ETA 2836-2 movement is the way to go and I just need to find someone to sell me a nice one. I am no way to the level of many of you Senior Rep people. Hoping someone like you will be kind enough to steer me in the right direction. I might even get another one in blue a year from now when I save my pennies. Thanks again

PgrPgrPG

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/5/18
Hi Madison, based on your long journey looking for this watch, I would recommend you to post your research in the WTB (want to buy) section of this forum. I’m quite sure that you’ll get some valuable offers soon.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant RWI

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
If I were you I’d buy the new ARF. It has an Asian clone of the 2824 eta movement. If it dies down the track you can get it serviced or put a genuine Swiss movement in then

Daywatch

Mythical Poster
29/9/13
EU
Taking all circumstances together consider the 16600 BP Sea-Dweller with the asian clone movement. Half the price, well done, finetuned to near-perfection by years and years and years of production.
oniKQMN.jpg

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
Taking all circumstances together consider the 16600 BP Sea-Dweller with the asian clone movement. Half the price, well done, finetuned to near-perfection by years and years and years of production.
oniKQMN.jpg

Where did all your posts go?!

Daywatch

Mythical Poster
29/9/13
EU
What a shame. I always look forward to your posts and knowledge. Glad you’re not discouraged!

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement, which I gladly retribute. Same here regarding Your posts :thumbsup:

Reactions: Nivka

Madison

Horology Curious
20/7/18
All set, thanks for the advice everyone. Going to have BK set me up. Now I just have to be patient.