• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Newbie Questions ... Flame Free Thread... ask away !

Bigshooter

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Any new people have any questions regarding reps?

Genuine newbies only please, no vets from other boards being cute.

It can be alittle intimidating on rep boards asking questions and getting flamed and told "go search" but feel free to ask anything here, there are no stupid questions.

Repmaniac

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
15/3/06
Ok, ok, I'm probably a little more "seasoned" than the new folks, but, I will check here often and offer any non-flaming real help I can to the noob contingent. I like the fact that there's a safe haven new members can come to and not be fun-fodder for the vets. Hell, we can't even tell'em to search, 'cause there's no search database yet!!!! :idea: :idea:

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
brian_05 said:
Yea, but I asked about the best Sub first . . .

8^)

Brian

I'm sorry my friend, but I have that honor

Bigshooter

Banned
15/3/06
Roeod4 said:
brian_05 said:
Yea, but I asked about the best Sub first . . .

8^)

Brian

I'm sorry my friend, but I have that honor

Yeah, I think that was like the first post.......... it had to be done.

alligoat

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
17/3/06
Cool, so where's the picture of the best sub? :lol:

Tink131

16/3/06
Thanks Bigshooter for having a flame-free area. As a female I'm probably 1% of the membership and a newbie at that- I feel so out-numbered! It's nice to have a safe place to ask questions- thanks again. :D

acesup_11

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/3/06
First Question

First off thank you for saving me from replica center.com
I have read a little bit and would like to know some things if possible.

I have read that there is no such thing as a real swiss replica is this true.

Where can i buy these reps i have no idea please pm me if need be.

Are these reps water proof can i swim and shower with them?

I originally was looking for a stainless steel rolex daytona white face or mother of pearl are those available.

are there different levels of quality of replica how do you know what they are and price.

Thats all for now im just so greatful you saved me time and money!!! thanks alot guys. Also dealers please pm me from what i have read joshua seems to be the best any opinions.

Bigshooter

Banned
15/3/06
Re: First Question

First off thank you for saving me from replica center.com
I have read a little bit and would like to know some things if possible.

I have read that there is no such thing as a real swiss replica is this true.

Yes that is true ..... all reps are made is Asia.

Where can i buy these reps i have no idea please pm me if need be.

You can buy reps from any of the dealers listed on our forum..... each one has provided excellent service and has earned a good reputation amongst watch buyers.

If you don't see exactly what you want listed, send them an email or pm and ask, most will have what you want.

Are these reps water proof can i swim and shower with them?

Well basically..... not really, most reps are not very waterproof at all but you can have your rep serviced and modified after purchase to make it more watertight if you wish.

I originally was looking for a stainless steel rolex daytona white face or mother of pearl are those available.

Yes.

are there different levels of quality of replica how do you know what they are and price.
Well there are different qualities but there are no grading levels like the rip off sites promote,
no Grade 1 or AAA or any on that nonsense, there are simply good reps, better reps and really great reps.... the dealers here all offer very good quality reps, better than you get at the ripoff sites and for a lot less money.

Thats all for now im just so greatful you saved me time and money!!! thanks alot guys. Also dealers please pm me from what i have read joshua seems to be the best any opinions.

No problem, I am so glad you didn't waste your money..... and yes Joshua is one of the elite to be sure but there are many fine dealers here..... do a little research and ask some more questions.

Repmaniac

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
15/3/06
Well, bigshooter beat me to it! All the info he provided is dead-on correct. Read, learn, believe!!!!

As an aside, and this is just my personal opinion, I, along with MANY, MANY members of various boards, have had very good experiences wih Joshua. He seems to be very noobie-friendly, and will answer questions until the goats come home. Plus, his watches are top-notch.

This is not to suggest that our other dealers aren't as good. We definitely have the cream of the crop, and any of them will provide you an excellent product at a great price.

Just go to our Dealers Section, mash the PM (or e-mail - some dealers, like Eddielee prefer e-mail.......another very good dealer, BTW) button, and ask away.

You'll probably notice that many of the dealers don't post prices.......not to worry. Prices /suppliers / watches change all the time, and many dealers ask that you contact them for the current price.

One last thing......and this one's important. Don't worry if it takes a while for a dealer to get back to you. Most have other jobs, and with the various time zones you're dealing with (they could be half-way around the world!) it may take them 24-48 hours to get back to you. Patience is one of the most important things you need in this hobby.

GOOD LUCK, and have fun!

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Repmaniac said:
One last thing......and this one's important. Don't worry if it takes a while for a dealer to get back to you. Most have other jobs, and with the various time zones you're dealing with (they could be half-way around the world!) it may take them 24-48 hours to get back to you. Patience is one of the most important things you need in this hobby.
May I reiterate the Patience thing?

In the world of Rep buying, due to its dodgy nature, things don't always work out. Sometimes customs can seize your watch, sometimes delays in delivery can happen. You're never going to get a Fedex Next-Day delivery.

Sometimes dealers can disappear for a while without notice. Emails can get lost, PMs deleted, etc. As long as you are buying from the reputable dealers, you'll be ok, but due to the nature of the business, sometimes stuff never gets there. There's an inherent risk in buying Reps, and every purchase is a gamble. All you can ever do is minimise risk. I'd say over 95% of purchases are hassle free, but if you're in that lower-than-5%, you just have to swallow the loss.

Rarer still is the watch you realised would never get there that you forgot about ansd ordered from another dealer turning up 6 months late with no explaination. It has a franking that says it was posted last year, but you got it yesterday.

Tink131

16/3/06
All great responses to acesup- but I would like someone hear more knowledgable than I to tell him about the quirky Daytona. All I know is that I wanted the pink one and did a little reading and found out that the Asian movement being used was something like putting a 4 cylinder engine into a mack truck and that it would be better to have the sub dials frozen- will the Brainiacs please comment on this for him. And I'm thinking that the Daytonas are not very good reps also because the dials are not accurate= month/day/date vs. hour/minute/seconds or something like that. Ok guys tear my response apart and give us a lesson on Daytonas! :oops:

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Tink131 said:
Ok guys tear my response apart and give us a lesson on Daytonas! :oops:
This is not a lesson in Daytonas specifically, but it's a basic 7750 primer. Very basic, to be honest.

A modern Daytona has the seconds displayed in a little subdial at the bottom. The big second-hand is for the chrono (aka stopwatch). Now, Rolex make their own movement, which means they can do what they like, and what they like is seconds at the bottom.

The rest of us have to do with the 7750 movement, of which there are two basic types: real and asian. The asian is a copy of the ETA 7750 that used to be called the Valjoux 7750. Both the asian and the 'swiss' 7750s have the seconds at, if I remember right, 9 o'clock. This is great for loads of reps, apart from the Daytona.

In the Daytona, they have added 11 little cogs to move the seconds to 6 o'clock, which adds strain and friction to the movement. The new 7750 is supposed to be as good as the ETA version, but it's really pushing it to run the seconds at 6, so reliability is unknown. It'll run, but no-one yet knows for how long.

Freezing the dial seems to be the recommendation, but it cries fake to me. I'd rather risk reliability. :)

Like I said, I'm no expert, but I'm sure there is one here that can correct or enhance my post.

bcraw902

Looking Around
10/3/18
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm a noob, but I'm doing my research. I've visited the Trusted Dealers page, and have done some searching around the fourm. But can anyone tell me the name of their favorite Rolex Rep? I'm looking into purchasing a Rolex Day-Date Yellow Gold. I'm wanting the Swiss movement, as from what I believe the movement on them is a tad better than Asian if i'm not misinformed. Also, I'm purchasing from Canada. So any reputable Rolex reps that ship to Canada, and are at a high quality, I'd be interested in. I'm looking to spend upwards of $500CAD for a great quality Rep that won't break or stop working on me!

Thanks for the help all,
-B

JayRooster

Horology Curious
13/3/18
I'm seeing some lower priced reps from some TDs here and was wondering if brands such as a vintage Rolex ever used plexiglass. I'm seeing a really cool looking vintage submariner around for around $130, but my hesitation is that it isn't sapphire crystal. I don't think I've ever felt what a plexi was like on a watch. If it's that noticeable that isn't a crystal or didn't come with the original, I'll probably wait to find one with a crystal display.

Mickey w

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/7/14
I wouldn’t get a watch with plastic or plexiglas in fear of scratching.