• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob to Noob: welcome and getting to know the rep culture...

Nickyd

Known Member
23/5/09
If all noobie's admitted they knew crap and took the time to read this post and some others on this site they would have learned how not 2 get burned.I only joined yesterday and ALREADY I feel better shopping and looking here than I did on other sites with a TRUSTED DEALER LIST..that 2 of their 6 listed were on here as scammers..

Great post thanks

mcgrvy

Horology Curious
3/6/09
Great write up kitersoze!

You've actually beaten me to the punch twice now. I joined up just recently and found a sweet avatar only to later discover you already had the same one. So I switched mine.

Then this morning, I was walking to work thinking about how much I've already learned in such a short time from being on this site and thought, "I should write up a noob to noob post and include stuff like my own personal experiences and give basic advice such as pick out a few watches you like, then use the search function to research each watch thoroughly and then decide dealers. I could then also go over some of the finer details I came across regarding the whole process."

But of course this evening, I came across your post and a few others and all of it was already covered. Let it be a lesson to other noobs, if you think you have a great idea for a new thread, make sure you do some research first to make sure it hasn't already been covered. Chances are it has.

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
mcgrvy said:

You've actually beaten me to the punch twice now. I joined up just recently and found a sweet avatar only to later discover you already had the same one. So I switched mine.

Then this morning, I was walking to work thinking about how much I've already learned in such a short time from being on this site and thought, "I should write up a noob to noob post and include stuff like my own personal experiences and give basic advice such as pick out a few watches you like, then use the search function to research each watch thoroughly and then decide dealers. I could then also go over some of the finer details I came across regarding the whole process."

But of course this evening, I came across your post and a few others and all of it was already covered. Let it be a lesson to other noobs, if you think you have a great idea for a new thread, make sure you do some research first to make sure it hasn't already been covered. Chances are it has.

hi mcgrvy, if you do have any suggestions, please free free post them, we are looking for content writers also.. :)

coling

17/10/08
good read Kit, definitely got something out of it, Thanks for taking the time to put some of our thoughts into print.

acemeth

Looking Around
10/6/09
Very new, been reading alot, which leaves me knowing enough to be worried and confused. I don't want a new obsession, I have enough already and I am happy and grateful to have found my way here but I wanted to get in and get out with my fantasy Sea-Dweller. After two days of reading (slow reader) I pulled the trigger on one with Timesshop. Mark and I exchanged about 5 emails at 3am my time. Because of his recommendation I spent more than I thought prudent for my first and hopefully last purchase. We'll see how the process plays out but regardless of my outcome I would like to express my appreciation for this site and the gentlemen contained herein.

Post Scrip; Mark at time shop came through nicely. Quite a job unpacking his packaging but a very beautiful piece that never would have happened without this site.

Trying to chill out
mike

coop

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Advisor
11/10/06
acemeth said:
Very new, been reading alot, which leaves me knowing enough to be worried and confused. I don't want a new obsession, I have enough already and I am happy and grateful to have found my way here but I wanted to get in and get out with my fantasy Sea-Dweller. After two days of reading (slow reader) I pulled the trigger on one with Timesshop. Mark and I exchanged about 5 emails at 3am my time. Because of his recommendation I spent more than I thought prudent for my first and hopefully last purchase. We'll see how the process plays out but regardless of my outcome I would like to express my appreciation for this site and the gentlemen contained herein.

It is an obsession, trust me. I found RWI long ago looking for a submariner rep, now Im trapped! Just when I think there isnt anything new I want something is released or I find one while looking around. Once your in you cant get out.

ahw676

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/11/08
mcgrvy said:

I'd noticed that you had the same avatar as kitersoze's and figured that you would notice it sooner or later. And thanks for changing yours a little so that he doesn't go back to the one that really bugged me. Speaking of bugs though, he had a spider one that was kind of cute too. :)

You should deserve some merit that you did bother to look around and find the noob to noob guide before you replicating it. Demonstrating that willingness to research, in itself, is worth something. :)

BTW, in case you decide to wrote an awesome April Fool's Day post, be warned that kitersoze has one of those too. Maybe you were twins separated at birth. :D

Officine Replica

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/7/09
Excellent post, I agree with everything stated in the OP. There's been many times I wanted to pull a trigger on the reps on scam websites but something just didn't seem right and I found many complaints after more searching. I can't believe it took me this long to find this forum. I really didn't think any big rep communities existed... I've been a long time WUS and over there you really get shunned for rep talk so this place was a myth to me until now, haha. 8)

AngelJ

Looking Around
8/7/09
I guess everything has been told... if i havent found this site i would be scammed out there, so thanks buddies. So, right now it's research time and let's see if i can learn something and find my rep, hahahaha.

Thanks

zuescotton

Known Member
6/7/09
To be honest the reason I didn't get scammed was because I thought a good rep would cost about $500-$1500. So I saw sites listing at $100 with $20 off. Searching review after review I found a site that had them for like $350. And then I saw on check out western union. It SCREAMED scam and I was like ok let's keep researching. The site ended up being reputable. But, still western union scares me haha. Not to mention the 500 million sites that set up forums just to lure people into their scams.

AngelJ

Looking Around
8/7/09
Your flashing my experience, hahahaha. had the same idea on a rep costing around the 1000 - 1500. And did post my bid in replicaco but didnt receive an answer and start some research. Turn out that i found the rippof.... and some other pages telling some nasty things about them.
I guess I have to start all over again.
For a start i guess that i have read like 10 noobie posts in here. That's a start.

kitersoze

26/11/08
zues, angel, yeah we've all been there to some degree or other.

you've found a rep haven here. you're part of a strong community now, whose mods n members seek to protect us all as buyers n watch lovers. buy w/ confidence from the trusted dealers; especially the ones that rank/rated well. buyer reviews as well are the best read on the most current performance of the dealers.

lawbhoy

Horology Curious
19/7/09
Just starting in the world of rep and have had very similar experiences to the earlier posters but i'm pleased to say i stumbled on this site which saved me undoubtedly being ripped off and answering so many questions (but also giving rise to many new ones which i'm in the process of searching the forum for, for answers). Many thanks to the OP and others in the forum who have helped me to realise that i'm not the only one - and that i will get there in the end!

ryanh

13/9/09
I have similar stories; tried to look into rep's, found all the "review sites", and something just didn't jive - got nervous and never pulled the trigger. Found a reference to Andrew's article on Breitling Nav's on my RSS feed, and found this site. WAAAY too much information, still spending hours a day just trying to read and learn.

Went ahead and pulled the trigger on a PAM 111h from DT4me and a GMT from PT-swiss and now playing the waiting game for them to get here..... I think THAT'S the hardest part - the waiting.... Greg guaranteed 10 days, I'm on day 10 today - and I think I'm going to lose my mind watching for the mail truck!!! AAAAAAA!!!!

Just wanted to say a giant THANK YOU to everyone who posts here, and for remembering that everyone was a noob once. We're all fascinated and in love with watches - we just want to learn and are scared of getting scammed..

Thanks again EVERYONE!!!

e479055

22/9/09
Thanks a bunch for this post. I too have unwittingly stumbled across this site, and thank god I did. I almost pulled the trigger on some bad buys :(

The reviews and having a lot of people state how their dealings were make me trust it alot better and where to buy.

...Because this is all too elaborate to be set up just to lull me into a false confidence to buy from a certain group of dealers lol.....so it must be a real review site, with real reviews

Thanks

kvn

Looking Around
19/10/09
Gread writeup. I stumbled upon this place from trying to find some PAM reps. I recently bought some sterile ones from recommendations from watchuseek and it left me wanting more! I hope to add a couple of reps and I'm happy to have found this fora

deek

Looking Around
18/11/09
Glad to be here

I too stumbled across this forum in a daze of websited that just didnt seem right Iam glad to be here

southie2213

Looking Around
16/9/10
I am a Noob Savant at this point and appreciate the tip. It will take some time and patience to figure my way around the site and the vast quantity of information.