• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Noob to Noob: welcome and getting to know the rep culture...

kitersoze

26/11/08
I'm essentially new to this forum, having initially spent most of my time at rwg2 which was the first place I stumbled into. I'm also a relative noob to the rep world as well, yet in a rather short time I've come to a certain realization that most noobs perhaps haven't yet discovered: you have no idea how lucky you are to have found rwi or one of the other good rep fora. before i bumbled into this place, i was independently doing my own research into reps & rep dealers, and i almost pulled the trigger a couple of times due to various "neutral review boards" and the innumerable slick and polished websites out there. but something just never felt right, so i'd wait. And then my research started turning up consumer board after consumer board of screwed buyers who've lost hundreds, if not thousands, of $$$'s buying and randomly testing the market, hoping to get lucky. There were nightmare buyer stories of months wasted fruitlessly chasing shadow numbers and downed websites, and subsequent credit card fraud and phishing (some of those poor victims find their way here, and they sure as s**t know the value of this place ever after). i myself just about walked away entirely from reps until a buyer i PM'd on youtube wrote me back and said "GO HERE". i signed up, skeptical as s**t now, and started reading and reading...and reading. well, actually, first i stomped in and on my first post basically said, "hello, i'm new, who's the best dealer?, cuz i'd like a swiss grade A+++++ 1:1 rep tomorrow please", like practically every other noob. then i started reading dealer reviews and rep reviews and movement reviews, and all the 'intro to the rep world for noobs' threads, until i finally caught on that all of this is well-travelled territory: everyone once was and understands what it's like to be a noob and skeptical and anxious about what to buy and from whom and is it safe and when will i get my watch?!

you just gotta take your time, read the reference resources, use the 'search' function first (it's staggering just how many answers you'll find for just about every question) and then, if no luck, ask. i, and every similar thread i've ever read, have never gotten anything less than the most courteous, helpful, and thorough answers from some of the most ridiculously knowledgeable watch people, regardless of how obscure or cherry my question was. and all that knowledge, expertise, and experience is found here, in one place.

and what's even more ridiculous is that this forum n others have their very own list of long-tested, reputable dealers, with volumes of buyer history to review and rely on. all of which means you can buy with confidence in an illegal trade. UNREAL. will there be some shipping issues?, possibly. will there be some customs issues?, maybe. will there be some eventual product issues?, almost certainly (i own some gens and it's not like those issues don't happen on that side either). but do you have to worry about being scammed out of your money and wasting months chasing down ghosts and worry about your identity being stolen?, nope. no. nuh uh. So step back, breathe, and take that peace of mind to the bank. every dealer here is accountable, very publicly, with many past, present, and future clients watching intently. Even if you don't believe they're good people, then believe that they're not going to risk their overall business just so that they can screw you out of a couple of watches. take note: ALL the reps come from the same factories; it's themselves they're selling to us as dealers.

Now I've personally taken my time and purchased only a small number of reps thus far. Each time, it's a little less nerve-racking, you're more sure of the process, and it gets more and more to just be that great anticipation you rarely get as an adult - like a kid waiting for Xmas to come. The anticipation, I believe, is just damn good for you and should be sort of enjoyed and savored in our world of immediate gratification and expectations.

and my fellow noobs, try to remember who/what you're dealing with on the other side. these are not corporations with customer service personnel routed throughout the world 24/7. it's just some dude, 15 timezones away, who eats and sleeps and plays sometimes, trying to lead his/her own life, usually working 7 days a weeks most of the year (or at least, way way harder than i work!). they're fielding dozens upon dozens of emails each day, many of them frantic and increasingly unpleasant, often regarding issues they have absolutely no control over. if you want the quicker and more polished operation, then buy from one of the dropshippers here. but if you want them to handle YOUR rep, or source something different or less common, making sure you approve prior to shipping, then that requires time and attention, and you're not the only guy in the world buying, brother.

i got the following quote from an old post from Eddie Lee, a legendary dealer now retired, who was very respected for his client service, his product, and his integrity. i wish i'd gotten the chance to know him and buy from him. from what i read about him, it would've been fun to be his friend and a client...

Eddie Lee:
The case is too big,,,even the case is the right size. By the case----is the size without the crown…..i had 2 chargeback because not as described….the buyers include the crown guard….when doing the measuring…
The dial is too flat., even it is the same jet black as original
The hologram is not perfect, even the hologram is pretty well made already.
The font is 0.05nm too think, too short, tooo long….
The noise from the automatic rotor is too loud…as loud as the 747 jet plane engines.
The crystal is too flat, too round, too dome, too this or that.
The lever is too loose, or too tight.
The bezel is too tight.
The bezel is too loose
The band is too cheap.
The bracelet is too light
The bracelet is too heavy, not like original which weighs 20 grams,,,while the rep bracelet weighs 21 gram.
The second hand is too jerky, not sweeping like original
The hour hand is not radioactive like original
The min hand is not plutonium plated like watches from Pluto.
The dial is not as luminous as my Seiko or my original 90,000usd Breguet
The case is too light , feel cheap, and not made of lead like your diving belt
The leather is like plastic,but more like my pam Anderson inflatable love doll.
The buckle is 0.12942588341244mm too fat.
The case back is not right…because the serial is written on 10 oclcok while the original is written at 6 oclock ( dude,,,u need to rotate the case back if u like,,,,,)
The hologram number is 1 letter extra.
The tracking is not working,,,,are you trying to scam me????
The bezel click sound is cheap like plastic….original is more like pitching at 64hz frequency.
How the fxxk you adjust the links on my ralex bracelet? Why screwdriver not included?
How do I get the bracelet off? This is a piece of sxxt….!!!
FXXKER,,,, the piece is not working.,….( handwind…dude….u need to handwind the movt)
FXXXKER,,,,why the piece is not running ? ( 7750b1,,,,did you read my “mad cow†procedure for 7750b1, 7753, 7750, 21j ?)
This is a disaster!!!! It has been 3 weeks,,,why no watch yet? ( u have to go to post office to get it….u were not at home….that is why…..)
Where the fxxxk is the tracking??????
If you don’t return my email now, I will call paypal now!
If you don’t send me tracking, I will go for chargeback
If you don’t replace it, I will go to forum and tell everyone.,,,,( even the buyers have wore the item for over 3 months or longer,,,,etc,,,)
Why custom stop my package? Because it is their jobs.
Why has custom issue,…because replica is illegal
Why other sellers never have custom issues? Because they are smart, me as a seller is dumb,,,I write “ fake replica 100usd rolex “ on the declaration form.
Why I have to pay taxes? Because your govt needs taxes.

My points …
You want to avoid these issues. Please buy the genuine one
If i or any sellers mentioned, we will get you the parts. U will get the parts. It just takes time.
You, just relax and wait for the piece to arrive. Don’t keep on asking for tracking. Not all tracking are working.
You want to take your pieces to go swimming ? I will say…go ahead.
( But I did not say it will survive after the swim)
Don’t ask any seller why your pieces are not waterproof to 200m like original.
Be happy what you have now. You can always go outside the forum to venture out if you wish. All sellers on board have life outside the forums. Some like to party, some like to talk to chicks, some like to go drinking, some like to smoke some herbal medicine daily for “therapeutic reasonâ€, some like to get lucky on pay day….etc…..same as you, as a buyer. ---we all have life beside the forums.

We don’t return emails not because we did not receive your emails. We are just ignoring you, because in the last 24 hours, you have shooted over 50 mails to my account talking the same thing. We all will do our best to get you the parts, support, and service we can afford to offer. When we have tracking, we will forward you.

In short, be cool, maintain your cool, and relax.

I just received a royal treatment from a forum member. A paypal chargeback. Because it did not EXCEED his expectation.
[END QUOTE]

In other words, friends, it's a big world out there, with many sides (and cultures) to the story. Just like when you're surfing or kiteboarding in an unfamiliar spot, get to know your way around a little (the landscape/shorebreak and the locals) before you just start thrashing about...

...so the real question is, who's the best dealer here to get me a 1:1?!
[smilie=angel12.gif]

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
Re: Noob to Noob: a big, jiggly love story

There is already some good noob reference material on this site, but this should be the mandatory "Noob Primer".

Reactions: VersaceBentley

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas

What a truly great post!
D4M - keep this one in your Rolodex for Post of the Year 2009. I believe it should already be included in the running.

Well done, Kitersoze!! :p

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06

kitersoze said:
And I'm a relative noob as well
quote]

any relative noob is a relative of mine and we are all noobs in one capacity or another. Nice post and welcome :D

That avatar is mesmerizing. :D :D

EDIT: A man dancing in a poodle skirt is not mesmerizing. 8)

diggah

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/1/09
Great reading. [smilie=icon_thumright.gif] Hilarious and dead serious at the same time. :)

New2Watches

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/1/09
UK
Great Post!!! Wow!!! Really has opened my eyes to Rep watches even more.

Thanks Matey [smilie=alien.gif]

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
reading this from my iphone in bed is a killer :D

kitersoze

26/11/08
yeah, i'd say it's killer being able to read in bed with my iphone!!! :D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
watchbuff said:
good read. Diggah love your avatar!@
+1

I got sidetracked there a bit. . . .

But back to my post.. I too was looking wild in the jungle and one day I posted on a discussion forum that dealt with good deals, about replica watches and most said that this is illegal, counterfeit, your a fake just like the watch, yada yada yada. But someone directed me to one of the big 3 forums and came to find this forum from that one. I posted some basic noob questions at first. Got the standard noob reply back, but learnt a great deal since, and am still learning.

Never did thank the guy who directed me over onto these rep forums, but if I didn't it would have been a big disaster for me.

kitersoze

26/11/08
If you see Kay said:
watchbuff said:
good read. Diggah love your avatar!@
+1

I got sidetracked there a bit. . . .

But back to my post.. I too was looking wild in the jungle and one day I posted on a discussion forum that dealt with good deals, about replica watches and most said that this is illegal, counterfeit, your a fake just like the watch, yada yada yada. But someone directed me to one of the big 3 forums and came to find this forum from that one. I posted some basic noob questions at first. Got the standard noob reply back, but learnt a great deal since, and am still learning.

Never did thank the guy who directed me over onto these rep forums, but if I didn't it would have been a big disaster for me.

oh me too, kay. i would've eventually either gotten burned and walked away from reps or just walked away from reps. i thanked the guy who sent me over to rwg n i still see him around there once in a while... funny how things work out...

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
Hi kit, I took the liberty of adding this thread into my signature, hope you do not mind! I think its a good read for all newcomers!!!

This is the number 2 link on my signature..

kitersoze

26/11/08
alviando said:
Hi kit, I took the liberty of adding this thread into my signature, hope you do not mind! I think its a good read for all newcomers!!!

on the contrary, friend, i'm truly flattered. thank you.

upland

Horology Curious
25/3/09
kitersoze said:
alviando said:

on the contrary, friend, i'm truly flattered. thank you.
So ,who's the best dealer here to get me a 1:1?COL

kimber45acp

16/3/09
You pretty much hit on everything that involves rep collecting. I think too many people have high expectations when buying a rep. Like lightning quick delivery and true 1:1 rep.
It is call a rep for reason right?

aceman_1

Known Member
14/12/08
Agree 100%, I almost pulled the trigger on some crap replicas from scammer websites, I too found the "independent review" bulletin boards which are published to fool you into buying from these idiots.

I accidentally stumbled into this forum and found it to be an extraordinary source for information, now I have several replicas with which I am very happy - most of the dealers around here are of high quality!

Reactions: deecee78

Tony Stark

Horology Curious
30/4/09
I'm one of those who stumbled upon this forum after hours and hours of surfing to find out the truth about the dark world of reps...really glad to discover a ray of hope in my understanding of the rep culture. Only wished I've could been here years ago...