• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is my DSN PAM111 worth anything today??

keeter

Horology Curious
20/12/08
Canada
Hey everyone! I purchased this DSN (Davidsen) Panerai 111 direct from him back in 2008-2009 (can't remember exactly). Wondering if it has much resale value today? There is a minor chip on one of the lugs and a small (1mm x 2mm) black dirt of some sort on the case corner (both of these imperfections visible in the macro shot).

Took some macro shots of the watch. Lume still works great. Hasn't been serviced, seems to be running fine except for a wobbly crown (in process of fixing or replacing it)

Trying to downsize the collection to make room for more watches...

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Hello!

Firstly, I wanted to say that I am glad to see that people cherish and appreciate old reps! Think 15 years is a significant time.

Of course, the PAM111 replicas have gotten better year by year, and this DSN is, with all due respect, far behind the one that is even 10 years younger.
At the same time, the prices for this model have always remained in the region of $ 200 - 300 for a new one, with a constant improvement in quality and details.

Personally, my opinion is that in any case you can try to sell for ~200$ considering the condition, but apparently, there is a modified DSN, Swiss 6497 inside, which clearly increases the value of your watch by its regular price (-50$ for a standard Asian 6497 ).
In fact, a Swiss hybrid with panerai design bridges is not something you see often, despite the modest quality of the scenery, a different damping system and a low rhythm.

However, this watch will definitely sell. I will not name the final cost (it must definitely come from you, but corrects its actual demand), but I have given in general terms the evaluation criteria, without taking into account the fact of the cost when you buy this watch.

Also, please pay attention to the rules of the sales section, given your number of posts.

Otherwise, good luck to you!

Reactions: keeter and P..DR..D

keeter

Horology Curious
20/12/08
Canada
Hello!

Firstly, I wanted to say that I am glad to see that people cherish and appreciate old reps! Think 15 years is a significant time.

Of course, the PAM111 replicas have gotten better year by year, and this DSN is, with all due respect, far behind the one that is even 10 years younger.
At the same time, the prices for this model have always remained in the region of $ 200 - 300 for a new one, with a constant improvement in quality and details.

Personally, my opinion is that in any case you can try to sell for ~200$ considering the condition, but apparently, there is a modified DSN, Swiss 6497 inside, which clearly increases the value of your watch by its regular price (-50$ for a standard Asian 6497 ).
In fact, a Swiss hybrid with panerai design bridges is not something you see often, despite the modest quality of the scenery, a different damping system and a low rhythm.

However, this watch will definitely sell. I will not name the final cost (it must definitely come from you, but corrects its actual demand), but I have given in general terms the evaluation criteria, without taking into account the fact of the cost when you buy this watch.

Also, please pay attention to the rules of the sales section, given your number of posts.

Otherwise, good luck to you!

Thank you for the very detailed reply! Bol'shoe spasibo vam :)

I vaguely recall at the time that I was buying a Swiss 6497 inside, but now I can't be sure. Someone else who looked at the watch picture said it's clearly a Seagull ST36 (Unitas 6497 clone) with the "I" incabloc instead of the modern "Y".

Again, thanks for the help. I will also browse the previously sold listings to see what typical DSN prices are, although (as you said) this is a particularly old one.

kaypee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/22
CONUS
Hey everyone! I purchased this DSN (Davidsen) Panerai 111 direct from him back in 2008-2009 (can't remember exactly). Wondering if it has much resale value today? There is a minor chip on one of the lugs and a small (1mm x 2mm) black dirt of some sort on the case corner (both of these imperfections visible in the macro shot).

Took some macro shots of the watch. Lume still works great. Hasn't been serviced, seems to be running fine except for a wobbly crown (in process of fixing or replacing it)

Trying to downsize the collection to make room for more watches...

Old but gorgeous

KOT1917

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/7/19
Russian federation
Always glad to be useful.

Let me explain.
Firstly, swiss PAM111 DSN in those years could cost up to $400 - $450 (For reference).
Secondly, your 6497 is Swiss, primarily based on the shape of the balance wheel spokes.
Rep is made with an extension at the point of attachment to the wheel, like gen, while the usual swiss 6497-1 is made almost straight:
GEN:
REP:
SWISS:
Thirdly, the shock absorption system of the balance wheel, in your case - NOVODIAC. It has not been used by PANERAI at all, with the exception of OP.XXIX.
Y-incabloc was used in all 6497 derivative calibers and is now used in rep, but was not used in 2008-2010 yet.

Y-incablock:
I-incablock:
Novodiac (Your):

I hope I was able to answer the basic questions, and it became a little clearer.

kaypee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/22
CONUS
Always glad to be useful.

Let me explain.
Firstly, swiss PAM111 DSN in those years could cost up to $400 - $450 (For reference).
Secondly, your 6497 is Swiss, primarily based on the shape of the balance wheel spokes.
Rep is made with an extension at the point of attachment to the wheel, like gen, while the usual swiss 6497-1 is made almost straight:
GEN:
REP:
SWISS:
Thirdly, the shock absorption system of the balance wheel, in your case - NOVODIAC. It has not been used by PANERAI at all, with the exception of OP.XXIX.
Y-incabloc was used in all 6497 derivative calibers and is now used in rep, but was not used in 2008-2010 yet.

Y-incablock:
I-incablock:
Novodiac (Your):

I hope I was able to answer the basic questions, and it became a little clearer.

It honestly blows my mind how knowledgeable some people here are. Not even my watch but cheers mate.

Reactions: KOT1917

keeter

Horology Curious
20/12/08
Canada

More than clear - I learned something today. Thank you.

In case anyone is curious, I paid $420 (USD) back in the day for this one - shipping included. Many great memories... also discovered I often get better service in high-end clothing stores while wearing this watch.