• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Difference in quality

sean3323

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/1/22
New York
Newbie question.
How substantial of a quality difference is there between a $450 Daytona rep and an $800 one. They look fairly similar in the photos.

sean3323

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/1/22
New York
These are the two I was comparing. What’s the difference?

daytona 116500-clean
daytona 116500 -ewf

GrandmasterChime

Agent Provocateur
Supporter
Certified
6/1/19
New Zealand
Newbie question.
How substantial of a quality difference is there between a $450 Daytona rep and an $800 one. They look fairly similar in the photos.
350 dollars difference. The difference is the movement which is a biggy as the other options have modified 7750 movements which I wouldn't touch.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Rocket14

Known Member
22/9/21
Newbie question.

I’m certainly no expert but it’s all down to the movement as the gentleman above says. All the makers except Clean and Noob (gone) are using a version of the 7750. Some are much thicker than the gen and the chrono works, others have faux chrono as the 7750 has been slimmed down to achieve closer to gen thickness.

The $800 Clean, it’s $765 I think, has the cloned 4130 movement as per the Noob and the chrono functions (I believe it’s not recommended to use it though if you want the best chance at longevity).

I have the arf V2 without functioning chrono which cost me $488. Visually and in the hand it’s fantastic. I find arf to be very pleasing aesthetically but I’m not impressed with their qc on the parts you can’t see like the movement. These have what is described as the SA4130 “super clone” movement.

That’s complete bollocks and it’s actually a slimmed down 7750 where they’ve slimmed the rotor down (to achieve closer thickness) to the point where it doesn’t have enough mass to properly wind the movement. All the arf models I have ran poorly from day one in either time keeping or power reserve and these 7750 adaptations are noisy up to the ear or resting on a hard surface.

I’ve had them full serviced and the Daytona’s (bought two) are currently also being serviced and having the correct heavier rotors fitted to power the watch properly. My excellent watchmaker is removing the decorative parts (bridge etc which are there for show) to accommodate the correct rotor. Personally I don’t care what the movement looks like, it could have Mickey Mouse engraved on it for all I care.

Hope that helps.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
I’m certainly no expert but it’s all down to the movement as the gentleman above says. All the makers except Clean and Noob (gone) are using a version of the 7750. Some are much thicker than the gen and the chrono works, others have faux chrono as the 7750 has been slimmed down to achieve closer to gen thickness.

The $800 Clean, it’s $765 I think, has the cloned 4130 movement as per the Noob and the chrono functions (I believe it’s not recommended to use it though if you want the best chance at longevity).

I have the arf V2 without functioning chrono which cost me $488. Visually and in the hand it’s fantastic. I find arf to be very pleasing aesthetically but I’m not impressed with their qc on the parts you can’t see like the movement. These have what is described as the SA4130 “super clone” movement.

That’s complete bollocks and it’s actually a slimmed down 7750 where they’ve slimmed the rotor down (to achieve closer thickness) to the point where it doesn’t have enough mass to properly wind the movement. All the arf models I have ran poorly from day one in either time keeping or power reserve and these 7750 adaptations are noisy up to the ear or resting on a hard surface.

I’ve had them full serviced and the Daytona’s (bought two) are currently also being serviced and having the correct heavier rotors fitted to power the watch properly. My excellent watchmaker is removing the decorative parts (bridge etc which are there for show) to accommodate the correct rotor. Personally I don’t care what the movement looks like, it could have Mickey Mouse engraved on it for all I care.

Hope that helps.

You got all the important points mate.

Thanks for your contribution:)