• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Real Tissot, or a decent quality replica Dress Watch?

Hu Nen

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/8/21
I'm attracted to the Tissot LE LOCLE POWERMATIC 80 - an elegant, rose gold coloured, dress watch. Its simple aesthetics appeal, and the deeply textured dial adds a certain something too. It's a simple, honest watch. However, perusing the Trusty Time site, it seems that for the same, or less, money, I could purchase a replica of a watch from a maker regarded as being a cut or two above, for example a replica of a Patek Philippe Calatrava, a Rolex Cellini Moonphase or a Vacheron Constantin. I'd be very interested in opinions on these, or suggestions regarding other possible alternatives.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Nice watch but It’s just not as fun as a rep patek or VC etc.

JLC moonphase reps are also nice.

Tissot gold plating isn’t the best either.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Rohlex

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
But gen or rep thing aside, just buy the watch that looks more attractive to your eyes.

Note: You may have to allow extra cash for a custom or OEM leather strap on a rep.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

tedit

Supporter
12/3/18
Get the new Tissot PRX Powermatic 80.
It’s a beautiful watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hu Nen

9/8/21
Many thanks for all the responses to date. I'm still torn between the Tissot and a Jaeger LeCoultre replica. I guess it's a nice problem to have.

Hu Nen

9/8/21
Well, I've decided to make my first foray into replicas with a Jaeger LeCoultre Reverso. When it arrives I'll post my thoughts about it.

Hu Nen

9/8/21
The JLC Reverso DuoFace has arrived and I am happy with it: the process of buying it went smoothly and now it has arrived the watch itself is very impressive.

Purchase was through a Trusted Dealer on here, sead1999, who I recommend wholeheartedly. I first emailed sead1999 expressing an interest in the JLC and requested some pictures. Those arrived, large and clear, by email within 24 hours. They showed the watch and its straps in detail. There then followed a short exchange of emails where I asked about the technical specifications of the watch and some questions about how to purchase. Those emails were answered within 24 hours of me sending them. The answers were brief but always clear and concise. The watch was advertised with a price in $ but sead1999 has a UK bank account and so can accept payment in pounds sterling, and was quite happy for me to establish a suitable exchange rate. Once we had agreed on the price, I made the payment and that was acknowledged a few hours later by email. Three days later the watch arrived by registered post, well padded in a protective and waterproof envelope. I couldn't have asked for a smoother first transaction to begin my entry into the world of replicas.

So, how's the watch?

Impressive.

I don't have an original Reverso DuoFace to compare it with directly, but comparing it with photographs from books and catalogues it does look pretty close to the original. The only obvious tell isn't actually obvious at all when the watch is being worn: the replica doesn't have the small slider on the case to adjust the second face. However, that can only be seen when the watch face is actually open to be reversed, at all other times it is hidden. The replica actually seems better than the real version in the respect that one face can be adjusted for time by pulling out the crown to the first position, then the second face is adjusted by pulling out the crown further to a second position. Neat ! The fit and finish of both faces and the case are excellent, crisply executed and highly polished with no scratches of machining marks. It looks like a luxury watch, even when I viewed it under a stereomicroscope. Winding was smooth and positive with no notchiness or vagueness. I believe the movement has one power train to drive both faces. So far it seems to be keeping very good time. Being able to set each to a different time zone is very useful !

The only 'fault' I can find with it is very minor and concerns the strap rather than the watch. I find the deployant clasp a little stiff and awkward to use, but that's probably partly due to me not being a great fan of them - I prefer a simple buckled strap - and in any case I expect it will ease off over time through use.

All in all, I think it is a great watch and was a very simple, problem free buying process.

Reactions: gilrob

shazer

Horology Curious
25/8/21
Thanks for your review, I am a fan of Powermatic 80 it's a good watch !

Seolite

6/5/21
Hu Nen Great hearing about your experience regarding the JLC. Would you mind posting some pictures of what you received?

I am still considering whether a JLC replica is worth the money functionality wise. Obviously it will burn a hole in my wallet if I get a genuine version, but certain models seem to be unavailable as replicas (aka the night and day moonlight duoface version).

skjol

Horology Curious
23/5/22
Many thanks for all the responses to date. I'm still torn between the Tissot and a Jaeger LeCoultre replica. I guess it's a nice problem to have.

I've had a gen Le Locle in yellow gold for a couple of years, but have picked up the PP 5227 in rose gold and JLC Ultrathin Moon black dial since I found the world of reps. I must say the PP and JLC are very slick watches, especially the PP with its beautiful curves. Although the Le Locle will always hold a special place in my heart as this was the watch that got me into mechanical watches.