• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My fist post and photos of first rep.

wanmadtim

26/3/06
This is my first time posting here. I got my first replica a few days ago from my son who got it from a friend who bought it for £30 over in Thailand. As i have no clue as to the quality to expect from a rep of such low price i thought i would (attempt) to post some pictures and maybe get some feedback. The watch keeps good time so far, the second hand has a smooth sweeping motion. There are some numbers on the bracelet although i think these are wrong as the corrispond with the number on the hologram on the back casing, i read that they should be different, one being a serial number the other being a part number. Also if anyone could tell me what the small 'M' sticker on the back casing represents i would be grateful. My son said maybe his buddy got the watch in a kiddies meal from MCDonalds!......I hope not. :lol:

rolex55.jpg

rolex99.jpg

rolex54.jpg

rolex00.jpg

rolex77.jpg

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
I believe the "M" is to show that it has not been opened or something, this is a replica thing remove it.

It is actually a pretty nice sub. There are a few flaws adn I will list them if you want to hear them, but I will keep them to myself if not. Overall, good deal!

Pretty nice photo skills too! :D

willster

Renowned Member
15/3/06
Definately not a Mickie D Rep....looks like a good buy for the money to me

a few visible tells but a nice watch, particularly if it keeps good time and you enjoy it

am partial to blue myself

and ditto on the pics, nice job

wanmadtim

26/3/06
Roeod4 said:
I believe the "M" is to show that it has not been opened or something, this is a replica thing remove it.

It is actually a pretty nice sub. There are a few flaws adn I will list them if you want to hear them, but I will keep them to myself if not. Overall, good deal!

Pretty nice photo skills too! :D

I thought that may be the reason for the 'M' sticker but wasnt sure....thanks for filling me in.

Please list the flaws Roeod4 i would like that, then i will know what to look for when going for my next replica sub! :)

Thanks for the compliment on my photo skills it's my second time ever using my camera and first time ever i have tried to photograph anything so close (you don't want to see the 20 or so photo's i DIDN'T include :oops:

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Wanmadtim 8)

wanmadtim

26/3/06
willster said:
Definately not a Mickie D Rep....looks like a good buy for the money to me

a few visible tells but a nice watch, particularly if it keeps good time and you enjoy it

am partial to blue myself

and ditto on the pics, nice job

Thanks wiister, It keeps good time....SO FAR ( had it a week)

I thought the blue looked nice myself, although looking through some of the forums and sites i also like the silvery looking face (forget the proper name for this type)

Thanks for the reply.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
wanmadtim said:
Thanks for the compliment on my photo skills it's my second time ever using my camera and first time ever i have tried to photograph anything so close
Here we go again. Time to plug my articles ...

Photo tutorials :: Part 1 :: Part 2 ::

Honestly, so simple anyone can follow them.

Roeod4

14/3/06
Ok flaws.....this is a short list of the most obvious stuff. I am not going to get really over the top because most people will never know the difference between a rep and a gen. Most of the time they just look and see that it is sweeping and think, "OK, it's real." :)

The bezel insert, I am including the whole thing because the pearl is way too flat and the font is too thin. This is actually a very easy fix. You can get a new insert and switch them out. Problem solved.

The crown guards are too thick. They are big improvement over the CGs that used to be on the subs, but these are just a little too thick. You could get them milled down, but I wouldn't bother.

Without getting too anal about it, that is it. The only one that would be hard (for me anyway) to fix is the crown guards and that is because you could buy a new sub for the cost of the CG work.

I have to say that the bezel on this watch is really nice and thick. It is one of the first things I noticed. Many of the reps have bezels that don't go all the way to the crown guards and it makes the watch look too small.

I also noticed that you can not see the etched crown on the crystal at six o'clock, which may be due to the camera angles, but that is another good thing. It always looks odd to have that too visible, since it is supposed to be hard to find with a jewelers loupe.

Like I said on 2 real flaws, so this is a great watch at a great price. Congrats!

DrmMaster

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
2/1/06
After looking again...for the price! WoW....i last thing...that would stick out to me....is the (L) in rolex is too far to the left...But thats being nit picky....Awsome deal!

Roeod4

14/3/06
drmmaster said:
After looking again...for the price! WoW....i last thing...that would stick out to me....is the (L) in rolex is too far to the left...But thats being nit picky....Awsome deal!

Damn, I didn't even look at that. I must be slipping. :oops:

Repmaniac

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
15/3/06
You done good for 30-whatever you paid (sorry, if it ain't $, I have no idea, but I know it wasn't much).

I've seen the same watch being sold at Idealwatches and Go-Replicas (complete SCAM sites, FORGET those names quick!) for $700-$900 bucks.

All the stuff Roeod pointed out is correct and I completely agree with him. Just remember, very few people you meet are going to scream "HEY, your pearl's too flat" or "Your rehaut is too shallow!".

I did immediately spot something that IS real easy to spot, though. Blue subs were only available in two-tone (SS-gold). Rumor has it that there was a very limited edition available ONLY to the Asian market that was all SS, but people may call you out on it.

Now for a bit of advise; As a new rep owner of a Rollie, be prepared......VERY prepared, for people to automatically assume it's a rep. I've known people that sold their genuine Rollies (from regular black subs to Daytonas) because they were tired of ass-clowns coming up to them and asking, "Duh, that's a fake, man" or some other rude comment.

Second bit of advise.....prepare a response for people that ask......it WILL happen. Some people come clean immediately, some people say it's a gen, whatever you're comfortable with. Personally, I hand it to them and ask, what do YOU think? Once they get their paws on it, almost EVERYBODY says "yup, that's real". They WANT to believe they are handling a $5000-$15,000 watch, and they shut up. WORD OF WARNING!!! Don't try this at an Authorized Dealer. Although most know less about their product than you (that's if you hang around here, of course!), they learn enough through osmosis to call you out, or at least laugh their asses off when you leave.

Back to the response for a second........and full, mad props to Roeod, his response is "I don't know, are your wife's (girlfriend's) tits real? THAT'LL SHUT'EM UP! :shock: :shock:

Personally, I'm not really into the Rollies, mainly for the reasons mentioned above (plus, I find them too common and overrated).

May I suggest for your next purchase a Panerai? Most are so limited edition the even the AD's haven't seen all of 'em, except for the 111 and other entry-level models, they're BIG, heavy, cool-looking, and instead of "hey, it that a fake", you'll hear, "hey, what is that?" Then they'll go home, look it up on the Internet, and realize you just showed them a $10,000-$20,000 watch. Pannies are some of the most accurate reps available today......DAMN close!

Just remember, don't automatically exclude Panerais, AP's, Breitlings, Omegas, and the other really cool watches. That's the fun of rep collecting!

wanmadtim

26/3/06
Roeod4 said:
Ok flaws.....this is a short list of the most obvious stuff. I am not going to get really over the top because most people will never know the difference between a rep and a gen. Most of the time they just look and see that it is sweeping and think, "OK, it's real." :)

The bezel insert, I am including the whole thing because the pearl is way too flat and the font is too thin. This is actually a very easy fix. You can get a new insert and switch them out. Problem solved.

The crown guards are too thick. They are big improvement over the CGs that used to be on the subs, but these are just a little too thick. You could get them milled down, but I wouldn't bother.

Without getting too anal about it, that is it. The only one that would be hard (for me anyway) to fix is the crown guards and that is because you could buy a new sub for the cost of the CG work.

I have to say that the bezel on this watch is really nice and thick. It is one of the first things I noticed. Many of the reps have bezels that don't go all the way to the crown guards and it makes the watch look too small.

I also noticed that you can not see the etched crown on the crystal at six o'clock, which may be due to the camera angles, but that is another good thing. It always looks odd to have that too visible, since it is supposed to be hard to find with a jewelers loupe.

Like I said on 2 real flaws, so this is a great watch at a great price. Congrats!

Thanks for the taking the time to post those flaws Roeod4, I think i can live with those since i didnt actually pay for the watch myself. Your info though gives me a good heads up on what i should be looking out for in any future sub reps i buy. Thanks again! Wanmadtim 8)

wanmadtim

26/3/06
drmmaster said:

Thanks drmmaster, even better for me was i didn't pay a penny since it was a gift from my son......wonder if he would like to gift me another rep....hmmm. :) Wanmadtim

wanmadtim

26/3/06
Repmaniac said:
You done good for 30-whatever you paid (sorry, if it ain't $, I have no idea, but I know it wasn't much).

I've seen the same watch being sold at Idealwatches and Go-Replicas (complete SCAM sites, FORGET those names quick!) for $700-$900 bucks.

All the stuff Roeod pointed out is correct and I completely agree with him. Just remember, very few people you meet are going to scream "HEY, your pearl's too flat" or "Your rehaut is too shallow!".

I did immediately spot something that IS real easy to spot, though. Blue subs were only available in two-tone (SS-gold). Rumor has it that there was a very limited edition available ONLY to the Asian market that was all SS, but people may call you out on it.

Now for a bit of advise; As a new rep owner of a Rollie, be prepared......VERY prepared, for people to automatically assume it's a rep. I've known people that sold their genuine Rollies (from regular black subs to Daytonas) because they were tired of ass-clowns coming up to them and asking, "Duh, that's a fake, man" or some other rude comment.

Second bit of advise.....prepare a response for people that ask......it WILL happen. Some people come clean immediately, some people say it's a gen, whatever you're comfortable with. Personally, I hand it to them and ask, what do YOU think? Once they get their paws on it, almost EVERYBODY says "yup, that's real". They WANT to believe they are handling a $5000-$15,000 watch, and they shut up. WORD OF WARNING!!! Don't try this at an Authorized Dealer. Although most know less about their product than you (that's if you hang around here, of course!), they learn enough through osmosis to call you out, or at least laugh their asses off when you leave.

Back to the response for a second........and full, mad props to Roeod, his response is "I don't know, are your wife's (girlfriend's) tits real? THAT'LL SHUT'EM UP! :shock: :shock:

Personally, I'm not really into the Rollies, mainly for the reasons mentioned above (plus, I find them too common and overrated).

May I suggest for your next purchase a Panerai? Most are so limited edition the even the AD's haven't seen all of 'em, except for the 111 and other entry-level models, they're BIG, heavy, cool-looking, and instead of "hey, it that a fake", you'll hear, "hey, what is that?" Then they'll go home, look it up on the Internet, and realize you just showed them a $10,000-$20,000 watch. Pannies are some of the most accurate reps available today......DAMN close!

Just remember, don't automatically exclude Panerais, AP's, Breitlings, Omegas, and the other really cool watches. That's the fun of rep collecting!

Hi Repmaniac, it works out at around 52 USD my sons friend paid for the rep. After reading the feedback here it seems HE got a good deal and i in turn got a nice gift and a decent start to my rep collection. My son also got a Breitland from the same guy and for the same price, if i can prize it off his wrist for a half-hour i`ll try and post some pics of that also.

Thats interesting that Rolex only made the blue face models in two-tone ss/gold i guess that would be a dead give away for someone in the know, i bet most guys on the street would have no clue though. Good to know for any future purchases for me though (and i am sure other newbies reading here)

Regarding a response for any enquirers, i have decided to just say "it's a gift from my son he got a new Breitland"....If they give me the "it's probably a fake line" i'll reply with..."Maybe it is, if it is though he was conned because he paid over £xxxx for it." They can then think what they like.

If i tried that line of Roeod's here in Glasgow i'd likely be spitting out watch parts for days after! :)

I definitely will not be confining my interest to Rolex's Repmaniac, i already saw a couple other reps i would love to own in the future, a Breitland Bentley and a Panerai 147 the second is a really beautiful dress watch in rose gold. I hadn't even heard the name Panerai before last week, same with some of the other watch names i have read about recently.

I can see this rep watch thing becoming an addictive......and EXPENSIVE hobby! :lol:

Thanks for replying to my post i enjoyed your input, very interesting and helpful advice for any newbie reading. 8) Wanmadtim

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
wanmadtim said:
Thats interesting that Rolex only made the blue face models in two-tone ss/gold i guess that would be a dead give away for someone in the know, i bet most guys on the street would have no clue though. Good to know for any future purchases for me though (and i am sure other newbies reading here)

Regarding a response for any enquirers, i have decided to just say "it's a gift from my son he got a new Breitland"....If they give me the "it's probably a fake line" i'll reply with..."Maybe it is, if it is though he was conned because he paid over £xxxx for it." They can then think what they like.

If i tried that line of Roeod's here in Glasgow i'd likely be spitting out watch parts for days after! :)
I'd say "it's a fake" in Glasgow, even if it were real. I don't want to be wearing my teeth on a necklace just cos some wee ned decided it'd look better on his wrist, in the barras/paddy's or converted into buckie.

Oh, it's "Breitling", by the way, and the blue one you have was made by Rolex just like yours, but only for the Japanese market.

wanmadtim

26/3/06
Pugwash said:
I'd say "it's a fake" in Glasgow, even if it were real. I don't want to be wearing my teeth on a necklace just cos some wee ned decided it'd look better on his wrist, in the barras/paddy's or converted into buckie.

Oh, it's "Breitling", by the way, and the blue one you have was made by Rolex just like yours, but only for the Japanese market.

Yep Pugwash your definetly familiar Glasgow! :lol: I was refering to enquiring friends......I wouldnt consider replying to the ned brigade.....At the first hint of "Heh Big man, isat a real rolex ur whit?" wanmadtim would be beating a hasty retreat.....or 'shootin the craw' in ned speak. :)

Yes of course, Breitling not Breitland silly me.......don't you think Breitland has a more sophisticated ring to it though Pugwash? :oops: Wanmadtim