• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Steinhart Ocean One to Rolex MOD...

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
Hi

You inspired me with the Steinhart as I have an ocean one 39 black ceramic. Got the dial from Raffles and the green bezel from Steinhart.

Had and it pressure tested to 100m which it passed. That’s ending for me so didn’t bother to test further although the original Steinhart before mid was 300 could still be.

2612bb00cd123784fad05a007b1130b7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What was your reason for the switch? Thought about it too, as I increasingly dislike looking at the matte dial..

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
What was your reason for the switch? Thought about it too, as I increasingly dislike looking at the matte dial..

Hi

It started with not liking the ceramic. Really reflective, so wanted to switch, I saw the Harrods green Tudor and thought it would look good as a green bezel then when I saw this thread and had a look at raffles for a new dial and I thought why not give it a go. As a newcomer to this it was a case of having no idea really, I wish I had done the hands too now so I will be back on to Ken at raffles for some shortly. The glossy vs mat dial hadn’t crossed my mind until you mentioned it but I agree. It was easy and I like the result, it’s still waterproofed and it really intended as a daily wear watch, not sure if I can trust the reps as much in the water and I quite like the smaller lugs and wider strap on the Steinhart. I would definitely do it again.

Reactions: thediesel17

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
I'm glad I could inspire you :)
Cheers

Hi, can you help me with the Rolex clasp on the Steinhart, I like the strap but want to get the clasp sorted, I bought a clasp from Raffles but it is too narrow at 16mm. The one in your photo looks like it fits straight on the 18mm although you said it need a mod. How did you do it?

Conjurer

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/19
Nice thinking! Love the inspiring mod! I have to ask though if you could help me with the opposite direction! I have a 42mm Steinhart OV Military (5517 one) and I want to change the case and go to a 5513, 5517 or a 5508 style case. My wrist is a bit thin and I wear mine with an Admiralty Gray nato. The lugs sit very high on my wrist and I don't really like the aesthetic result.
I think the 42mm OVM has a 30.5mm dial and I dont know if I could find any sub case that could potentially fit the dial along with the movement.
If anyone could help with this I would be very grateful!

FabseHH

Patron
Certified
16/11/11
Mille M Great post! Just awaiting my already modded Steinhart Ocean One 39 (without cyclos and already the right hands). I´m planning to change the dial to a blue Sub dial from Raffles. What is with the crown, any chance to change that one? Do you know the dimensions of the Steinhart crown?

Thanks for your input!

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
I can mesure it when I get home.
But I think the Rolex Submariner crown is larger.

But, in case that it's possible to change, you will also need to change the crown tube.

And have fun with your modded watch.
Steinhart's watches are really good quality and a very good base to do some mods.

Cheers :)

FabseHH

Patron
Certified
16/11/11
I can mesure it when I get home.
But I think the Rolex Submariner crown is larger.

But, in case that it's possible to change, you will also need to change the crown tube.

And have fun with your modded watch.
Steinhart's watches are really good quality and a very good base to do some mods.

Cheers :)

Thanks mate!

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
The Rolex Submariner crown won't fit on the steinhart ocean one 39 (dont know about the 42).
It is too chunky.

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
hi everybody,

can anybody tell me which bezel you used for the mods?
I'm thinking about swapping the ceramic one for a blue faded aloy bezel.. any recommendations are highly appreciated!

have a great one folks

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
hi everybody,

can anybody tell me which bezel you used for the mods?
I'm thinking about swapping the ceramic one for a blue faded aloy bezel.. any recommendations are highly appreciated!

have a great one folks

I purchased the bezel from Steinhart direct. I called. €25. Shipped immediately to uk had it in 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andre_hav

Horology Curious
16/7/18
@Mille M

Hi,
on the first page are shown two modded Steinis, which bracelet is shown on the green watch and where can I buy it?
Andre

Last edited:

Voo-doo

22/7/19
Wow that looks nice. Was in the steinhart rep sub dilemma. And you made it worse. Haha nice job !!

Reactions: Mille M

Voo-doo

22/7/19
I can't sell because I live in another planet (Switzerland) :p
They are a pain in the *ss when it comes to customs.
In this case it would be even worse because it would be considered as a counterfeit product.

But you can easily do these mods yourself (or with someone who knows how to do it).
I just bought a Steinhart Ocean One 39 (on my case, I bought two) a 29mm Rolex dial and hands from Raffles Dials and you only need to disassemble the steinhart and replace the dial and hands (the hands are kinda tricky for a beginner).

Any watchmaker would do that in minutes :)

Cheers

I already failed because I received my Sub rep last week :p But im still interested in doing this, for the sake of modding.
May I ask why you chose to replace the hands, doesn;t the steinhart already have mercedes hands?

Good job, your photo's are really cool by the way! What camera setup are you using?

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
I already failed because I received my Sub rep last week :p But im still interested in doing this, for the sake of modding.
May I ask why you chose to replace the hands, doesn;t the steinhart already have mercedes hands?

Good job, your photo's are really cool by the way! What camera setup are you using?

The Steinhart's hour hand is a tiny bit longer and touches the indexes of the Rolex's dial.

I use two cameras at the moment - a small Panasonic GX9, for occasional photography and a Nikon Z 6, for when I want super quality.
But the photos on this thread were taken with a Nikon D810 (super camera also).

Cheers

Reactions: Voo-doo

-Archer-

Horology Curious
24/7/18
Hi!
Has anyone tried using the Jubilee bracelet GMT Master 2 on Steinhart 39?
Or submariner oyster bracelet.
Do end links match?
I want to put an GMT Master 2 bracelet with polished center links on the Ocean 39 vintage GMT Premium .

Archer

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
I sold my Steinhart ages ago but from memory the lugs are wider than a sub. 22mm I think, subs are 20.

Tudor might fit but the likelihood of the solid end links matching the lugs is low.

Not certain about this by the way just from memory.

Love Rolex, Omega and Tudor.
Based in UK

-Archer-

Horology Curious
24/7/18
Correct.
Ocean One - 22mm
Ocean 39 - 20mm, bracelet 20/16 as well as Sub / GMT.
The main question is radius and holes for springbar.
Thank.

Voo-doo

22/7/19
This is really cool! Just ordered a steinhart because this topic is haunting me for months lol.

The only mistake I made is buying a 42mm... Will this still work or is the dial on the 42mm larger ?

Appreciating the inspiration

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI 8 met Tapatalk

Last edited: