• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Steinhart Ocean One to Rolex MOD...

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
Eh eh, mine's also a POS :)
But, for now, it fits the trick.

5WU5G.jpg

It's something like this.

Cheers

KSolid21

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/1/19
If you had a black dial on the green bezel Steinhart, it would look like a shoe-in for the Kermit. That’s awesome. And to consider it waterproofed is even better. Amazing work.

Reactions: Mille M

Fig

Horology Curious
16/1/19
I definitely vote for it ! Very nice result, I'm gonna spot some 2nd hand Steinhart to try it
Have you ever think about further swaps ? => bracelet & claps ? case back ? Crowns ?
I would definitely go this way if I make it... unless it's technically difficult or impossible... Your advice is welcomed :)

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
Hi, thanks for the support.

Ag13a.jpg

AgvCg.jpg

it is possible to use a Rolex clasp.
I was able to adapt it but I needed to mod the screws that connect the Steinhart bracelet to the buckle/clasp.

I prefer to use it on a leather strap tho :D

I couldn't find any case back that would fit the 39mm Ocean One, but I'm sure there's a way.
I wouldn't change it tho, because I'm sure I would lose the water resistance.
Maybe you can polish down the engraving on the back (don't know).

Never tried any other crown.

Cheers

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Eh eh, mine's also a POS :)
But, for now, it fits the trick.

5WU5G.jpg

It's something like this.

Cheers

Ha, yes that's the one, total crap, i managed two bracelet alterations until the screw drivers gave in, i've just purchased a nice set of screwdrivers so at least I can throw these ones away now...

HapoFils

Horology Curious
16/3/19
France
Hi, sorry for my bad english :)
Where did you buy the hands ? I own an Ocean one green, and I'd like to do a few changes : The hands (are they glowing blue by night ?), the insert for something without the silver circle in the interior (but I don't found anything "16610LV" like), and maybe if it exist ? some end-links, but that's optionnal.

Thx for your help :)

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
Hi.
I've bought the hands at Raffles dials.
The lume on them is very weak so I'm not sure if you would like the swap (I don't care much for the lume).

As for the bezel, it's kinda hard to find a replacement.
Already tried to swap it with a bezel from eBay, but it won't fit.
The problem with the Ocean One 39 is really the "39" :p
If only it was the Ocean One 40, might have been easier to find some bezels...

HapoFils

Horology Curious
16/3/19
France
Thx for the answer. The lume is even worst than the original one ? Wich is not great already IMO. Could you show us a picture maybe ?

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
The original one? Do you mean the lume from the steinhart dial?
Because the Steinhart dial has a great lume.

VWXB62.jpg

This is the Steinhart lume.
It's great.
The Rolex dial is much much worse :D

I'll see if I can take a picture.

Cheers

EDIT: wait, I have one here.

VWtVSd.jpg

Compare it to the lume on the bezel to see that the Rolex lume is much more soft.

HapoFils

Horology Curious
16/3/19
France
Yes I meant the Steinhart :) I have a Stowa Flieger, and it is much more luminous.
Thx for your picture, I can see that the hands are blue, so the colour matches with the dial, that's a good news !

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
Since I've bought a No Date submariner I decided to re-mod the Ocean One 39 Black to a Tudor Oyster Prince Submariner.

Vc2gFq.jpg

Simple and beautiful look :D

Reactions: Nur-Uhr

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Got it at watchgecko :)

Cheers

These are very cool. What does the date window look like? That’s the part of the Steinhart that I think is hideous. Can you change out the cyclops?

thediesel17

Iron Man
7/7/19
Thanks for the recommendation

The problem with the steinhart dial for me is that it is matte instead of glossy. Does the glossy Rolex dial look good in person or does it seem a bit on the cheaper side?

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
Thanks for the recommendation

The problem with the steinhart dial for me is that it is matte instead of glossy. Does the glossy Rolex dial look good in person or does it seem a bit on the cheaper side?

It looks good, but you have to be careful and leave it really clean.

Cheers

Last edited:

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
These are very cool. What does the date window look like? That’s the part of the Steinhart that I think is hideous. Can you change out the cyclops?

I don't dislike the cyclops, but yes, it's not as beautiful as the Rolex one.

I guess you can change it with some heat, and then apply another cyclops, but I haven't done that.

Cheers

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
Hi. I have an ocean one and bought a Rolex branded dial, crown and clasp from Raffles, haven’t had them done yet will do this week. I have already looked at the clasp and it is too small for the Steinhart bracelet, where did you get yours?

Mille M

I'm Pretty Popular
24/7/18
I've applied an entire oyster bracelet to the links of the Steinhart's one...
It's not easy to do, because the screws are totally different.

But I prefer to use an original steinhart jubilee bracelet instead.

2019-08-04-03-14-07.jpg

One of my latest creations, the submariner ninja turtle :)

Last edited:

Blueadrian

Renowned Member
24/7/19
UK
Hi

You inspired me with the Steinhart as I have an ocean one 39 black ceramic. Got the dial from Raffles and the green bezel from Steinhart.

Had and it pressure tested to 100m which it passed. That’s ending for me so didn’t bother to test further although the original Steinhart before mid was 300 could still be.

2612bb00cd123784fad05a007b1130b7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mille M