• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"How to photograph watches" - part one

domsdaddy123

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
6/8/15

I love this thread and wish more people would read it! I would just like to add a few things.

1) im no pro. Im nowhere as skilled as OP. Im just a guy who love looking at watches.

2) you dont need a real camera. Every eatch pix ive ever taken is with a cell phone and ive had good phones and nit so good phones.

3) wipe off the lens of the camera phone!

4) wipe off the watch with a dry soft cloth!

5) light! Light! Light! You need great light! You need to experiment with all kinds of light! No flash! Use every lamp in your house and see how the pics look. Hold the watch right up to the light. Try diffused light, try direct light. Try clear bulbs..Use direct sunlight!

6) Hold the camera phone super steady and use the auto focus! Take as many shots as you need to get that really clear perfect shot!

7) experiment and play around with your camera settings! Macro means super close up, try it!

8) hold the camera steady! And use the autofocus!

9) hold the camera steady and use the autofocus!

10) see 8 and 9!

11) have fun!

victord66

Horology Curious
17/4/17
Check out this pic I took of my latest acquisition. Taken with my iPhone 7 but instead of getting up close, I held it back about 10 inches and then zoomed in. If you hold the phone very steady you can get a great macro shot. And if the light is just right, you can even see a bit of the etched crown at the six. If you zoom in on the image part of it is visible. These new Day-Date Presidents from Marvelous Replicas have corrected the etching to be more like the genuine - not visible with the naked eye, but visible under magnification with the right lighting. Actually I had to hunt for an hour to see it. Great rep and service from them. http://imgur.com/pfca95L

jsungraphy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/8/15

I love this thread and wish more people would read it! I would just like to add a few things.

1) im no pro. Im nowhere as skilled as OP. Im just a guy who love looking at watches.

2) you dont need a real camera. Every eatch pix ive ever taken is with a cell phone and ive had good phones and nit so good phones.

3) wipe off the lens of the camera phone!

4) wipe off the watch with a dry soft cloth!

5) light! Light! Light! You need great light! You need to experiment with all kinds of light! No flash! Use every lamp in your house and see how the pics look. Hold the watch right up to the light. Try diffused light, try direct light. Try clear bulbs..Use direct sunlight!

6) Hold the camera phone super steady and use the auto focus! Take as many shots as you need to get that really clear perfect shot!

7) experiment and play around with your camera settings! Macro means super close up, try it!

8) hold the camera steady! And use the autofocus!

9) hold the camera steady and use the autofocus!

10) see 8 and 9!

11) have fun!

Great info... The camera in smartphones nowadays is actually better than some point & shoot. In the past, I always had to grab my camera, but now I just carry a decent one wherever I go.

We are just living in the future. Look at that bokeh... Great shot

garota69gostosa

I'm Pretty Popular
13/12/15
North Italy
IMG_20170520_083405.jpg
Hi friends!
after a long time,sathurday with sub TT
on the wrist.
ciao,
g69g:B:

Attachments

• IMG_20170520_083405.jpg
    IMG_20170520_083405.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2

Mahtze72

28/8/10
Spain
After look at the pics from my phone...time to pull out the DSLR...getting serious!

Copterguy

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
14/3/17
Florida
Good information. I get the lots of light thing. My problem is getting reflections from it. Never thought about actually using the macro settings. I was wondering how some of these pictures people took look super professional.

chiefcptluxe

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/5/18
Nice infos!

i always use my iphone 11pro
i think it makes amazing pictures also when near the object

aentropy

Horology Curious
31/5/13
Also, is a 10 year old dsr better than modern high end Samsung phones?

Last edited: