• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Post your best lumeshots! For lume lovers!

watchbuff

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/07
way cool
I planned on doing that with my monster...I think you sold me.
I have some noctilumina that works well and want to put it to some use.

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
zedd said:
Guess what watches these are ;)

P1000091.jpg

Its night time here, so no UV exposure atm for maximum lume

Some IWC pilot watch (Big Pilot ?), PAM 111 or equivalent, Seiko Monster :)

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
All these are just pure estasy! I Just love lumeshots. The girls must be laughing at us... grown up men salivating over some lume! ;)

Yannou

10/2/07
EU
Pix said:
zedd said:
Guess what watches these are ;)

P1000091.jpg

Its night time here, so no UV exposure atm for maximum lume

Some IWC pilot watch (Big Pilot ?), PAM 111 or equivalent, Seiko Monster :)

Too easy...Steinhart Chrono, PAM and Seiko Monster.. :D

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Let's apply a bit of this radioactive paint I found on ebay...

Sorry for the large size... Takes a bit to start (1 Mbyte).
290222-5872.gif

Rocketeer

Known Member
17/6/08
trailboss99 said:
H3 is known as Tritium, as far as I know.

No Tritium is the chemical name not a trade name. I seemed to remember that Lumibrite or something like that was a trade name for the stuff. H3 is actualy a grade. It's brighter than T35 and is the mill std for watches. Very rare indeed,

go here: http://yarchive.net/gun/tritium.html and here: http://www.kronometric.org/article/lume/ and here: http://www.orau.org/ptp/collection/radioluminescent/radioluminescentinfo.htm for everything you wanted to know about Tritium but were afraid to ask. Why it's not still available I don't know. Used propperly it's harmless. Some watches still use it for mill use but not many. At least they don't soak moreing lines in the stuff anymore. The US navy used to :shock:

Col.

Tritium lume is still available, if you can get passed all the export, import, storage and use regulations imposed on it as it's a radioactive element that is used in nuclear fission and so heavily regulated.
Basically use for watch lume is no longer considered a genuine use for it, so getting licensing for watch use is next to impossible unless it's in gaseous form and contained in glass vials and even then is still subject to the same regulations, so very few companies produce them, MB-Microtec (who make Traser products) being the main one.
No watch/dial maker has been manufacturing Tritium painted dials, military or otherwise, since the mid '90's when stocks of the compound ran out. Some of the slow selling 'military' watches from makers like Fortis and Tutima hung around in dealer stock for quite a while, but by now the lume on even these last ones will be noticeably weaker as Tritium for lume has a half life of about 12.5 years and the excitation effect drops off visibly after as few as 4 years.

The T25, T35, T100 etc referred to the maximum level of radiation emitted. That's why Blancpain did the 'No Rad' version of the Fifty Fathoms, to allow use in subs without setting off the radiation detectors.

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
yes, Rocketeers lume shot looks very impressive.

lets keep in mind.....31 seconds camera exposure time.
others show their 1/8 th second lume shot .....that looks compareably crappy.
if you know how, you can make an almost non existing lume glow appear look like the brightest lume in the world.

smc

Known Member
24/9/08
Both of mine were taken at 1/40th of a second (ISO 1250 however).

have a couple more :) Lume shot is at 1/3 of a sec (ISO 1600)

DSC_1914.jpg

DSC_1919.jpg

pdnb

13/9/08
swissaddict said:

Hey Swiss, is the GMT 12 and 24 an after market mod? or is the GEN lume like that? That is cool..... I guess it makes more sense since you can swivel the GMT... I don't actually recall the use of that vs 1 that stays stationary... so you can get 3 timezones? Anyways, you dont' have to answer as I don't want to de-rail.

thanks,
pdnb

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
here some shitty Davidsen lume....( thats what i heared people complain a lot about !! )

i can guarantee.....max exposure time...... 3 sec !!

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_4723.jpg

IMG_0310.jpg

IMG_1468_TN.jpg

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

Rollie intruder in a PAM page.. lol

Found another lumeshot on the back of the box..
16710CokeLumeShot.jpg

Cheers,
Spirit.

zedd

Known Member
4/7/08
Not that I'm poor, but this is my temp shitty ghetto watch box :p

Spot DSN & Vac's lume
P1000244.jpg

Vac vs DSN (note, this is not in a dark room)
P1000247.jpg

P1000252.jpg

Omega PO Rep Lume
P1000223.jpg

PHicks

Renowned Member
29/8/08
Just received my DSN Blancpain fifty fathoms. Here's what it look's like from fifty fathoms:

DSC00606.jpg

Here's what it looks like at sea level:

DSC00604.jpg

Several pages back I wrote the following:

PHicks said:
Thanks for exposing this to us all SMC.

My PAM, which is the best lumed watch I have (DSN Tritec as I understand), lights up like a flashlight if I expose it to strong light for a few seconds. The problem that I have is that when wearing the watch under normal situations i.e. wandering around the house with the watch face exposed, I get pretty well no lume when I walk into my bedroom with the light off. Now I don't want to appear as a party pooper but the whole idea of lume is that you can read the time when it's dark and I can't!

Now I admit that I don't have my home illuminated like a supermarket deli counter but I recall from my youth that the old radioactive lume used to work with the smallest amount of light.

Am I the only one that experiences this?

Is this a case of using grades of Strontium Aluminate that react quickly give the illusion of great lume while another grade which is slower to absorb will give a better long term effect?

Interested in the opinion of others....

I'm genuinely interested to hear from others with more experience. Are we buying into lume 'hype' or does it/can it really allow you to read a watch dial in the dark (given reasonable start conditions)? I'm not really interested in the 'which is the best' argument unless the best achieves my objective and the others don't. Whatever the answer is I still enjoy seeing a bright watch dial even if it's only bright for a short period of time.

Comments still appreciated ...

Dogma

Renowned Member
4/1/09
BR01-92 Blue also blue in the lume. Not bad for right direct from Andrew.
Max exposure 5 sec.

Dogma
img3849.jpg

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Guys, we have really fantastic shots in this thread !! :D