• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Official Bronze Watch Club

Merchant_Mariner

Horology Curious
18/4/21
There's quite possibly "top quality" bronze and "rep quality" bronze - and no way we will ever really know the difference unless someone does the sort of research that revealed how the 904L watches we were being sold were actually just good old 316L.

Quite interesting stuff, but the bottom line is... bronze watches are officially V. COOL.

Uh-oh, what is the deal with the 904l? Is that still the case with the cases today?

Merchant_Mariner

Horology Curious
18/4/21
4855465ee895c8b924b2e59af9db201e.jpg

That's too cool. How long did that oxidation take? That's has high seas cred for sure.

Hoooch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/12/17

I played around with my Zenith and forced some more patina on it, unfortunately I did not like the result. IMO verdigris suits a diver with a big bezel but not a pilot‘s watch, so I had to remove everything with copper polish. For some strange reason the watch became very dull. Considering I use the same polish on all of my copper watches I was surprised and a little bit concerned. At the end of the day some car polish and a lot of afford brought back the gloss it once had.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
Uh-oh, what is the deal with the 904l? Is that still the case with the cases today?
I was referring to the testing done late last year by Puretime, which “outed” ZZF (and others) as claiming they were using 904 when they weren’t.

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...for-904l-steel

Personally, I couldn’t give a monkey’s - AFAIC the fact it took these tests to prove what was what just proves that it doesn’t matter what steel is used - because no one can tell the difference without running these sorts of tests!

Last edited: