• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pocket Watches

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
This is a carry over from this thread. http://forum.replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34542&p=300590#p300590

I was asked to take some pictures of the movements on the pocket watches I recently acquired that had belonged to my grandfather. All of these pocket watches are very dirty. I wanted to document them as they were received and will document them again after a clean up and/or restorations. Here's what I know so far about them.

This is a size 18, 11 jewel, produced between July and August of 1865 by the American Watch Company. The movement shows Waltham with the name PS Bartlett. Here's a couple of interesting reads about this company during that time period. http://www.oldwatch.com/waltham.html and http://www.pricelessads.com/m57/seminar/seminar.pdf

AWC_Bartlett.jpg

This next one is is an Elgin 15 jewel produced in 1910. Its size is an 18. There was only 3,000 of these made that year as opposed to 261,500 made during the life of its production from 1903 to 1927. This watch is currently working. Not bad for a 100 year old watch.

Elgin1910.jpg

This next one is also an Elgin and was produced in 1918. Its is a 7 jewel size 16. There was 8,000 produced in 1918 as opposed to 1,501,000 made during the life of its production from 1903 to 1945.

Elgin1918.jpg

Here we have a 17 jewel Waltham size 16. It was produced between 1903 and 1904. wasn't able to find out much about its production run other than it supposedly has a Brequet hairspring and patent regulator.

Waltham1903-4.jpg

This next one is a Seth Thomas produced between 1891 and 1892. I have no other info on this

SethThomas1891-92.jpg

This last one I've found very little info on. One person has told me it is made by the Vertex Watch Co and is swiss made but I have not been able to find any substatial info about this company for verification as of yet.

Unknown.jpg

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
wow AWESOME.

these are great.

What amazes me is that the 7J ones were the low cost pocketwatches for non R.R. use, but even the quality is gorgeous. Look at all that demaskeening on it?

Yeah, these are great to collect, it's got a lot of history attached to each manufacturer and to each make, which adds to the collectibility!

i got very hooked on it. They can get pricey tho, like a 60 hour bunn special i believe can go for 500-800 dollars, depending on casing. The sangamo? sanamo? sagamo? cant recall, goes even more.

Deltick

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/5/07
I have never seen any pocket watch reps.
Anybody know if there are any out there?

MSK13

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/7/07
I saw a few IWC pocket watch reps last time I was in China, but they were obvious fakes.

crick

1/8/06
there were some waltham "fakes" around but i think it was mainly just scams.

crick

1/8/06
besides that, most pocket watches can be had for 50-200 bux, 300 for the higher demand ones, and 500-1000 for some rare ones, and even more for the more antique'ish.

i tried using a pocketwatch for a week and just found it a bit inconvenient :(

need a vest with a pocket for it :D

D

d4m.test

crick said:
besides that, most pocket watches can be had for 50-200 bux, 300 for the higher demand ones, and 500-1000 for some rare ones, and even more for the more antique'ish.

i tried using a pocketwatch for a week and just found it a bit inconvenient :(

need a vest with a pocket for it :D

dont forget the stovetop hat too!

Great looking watches, I used to use a pocket watch but like crick said, it was a pita..

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
Agreed, they are not very practical in todays world for everyday carry. I'm considering cleaning mine up and displaying them. I just think its so cool to have working mechanical pieces from 100 +/- years ago that work.

All in all a lot of these old pieces are very affordable. I couldn't imagine buying a rep of one when you can have the real deal.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
tnik said:
[
dont forget the stovetop hat too!

yeah there's nothing cooler than pulling out your watch, flipping it open to check the time as you're surrounded by train steam and then a blow of the conductor's whistle...all aboard :D

crick

1/8/06
yeah the fact that someone else held it and used it 100 years ago is just cool. before internet, before cars, before motion pictures.

crick

1/8/06
i wants this one :(

illinois6090_big.jpg

and this :(

IL184movtsig.jpg

:(

rent outweighs the want :( :( :(