• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

FROM VIP MARINER TO BLASTO MARINER

lumpyone

7/1/07
hi all.
so....ive had a couple of vip mariners laying about. i just could not bring myself to wear them....guess i'm not a rolex guy..and they were pretty flawed.
awhile ago i saw a seiko monster someone had bead blasted on a military watch forum ....it looked great...really tough. and since i have a sandblast cabinet..and these subs i'm never gonna wear....all that was missinng was a little free time and boredom.
all the ingredients came together last night.
here are the results.
the sterile dial blasto mariner.

face.jpg

i removed the rolex text from the dial with goo gone. did a pretty hack job of it....so im giong to search for a good sterile dial replacement.

then i tore the watch down to case with crown and back installed (crystal removed), and bezel assy i covered the dial opening with gaffers tape (duct tape would do) and into the blast cabinet.
i did not have any blasting bead media...so i just used al-ox. it is pretty aggressive so it only took about 30 seconds for the case..and 20 sec for the bezel.

a little cleaning...and assembly and viola........

from this
rlx.jpg

to this....

side-1.jpg

_DSC3460.jpg

back.jpg

i have another of these watches...the lv model...i think ill get some less agressive media and give it a go with that one as well.

what do you think?

now i'm looking through all my watch boxes seeing what else i have that may get blasto.
l1

opak

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/9/07
Damn.. I think it looks killer! Looks almost like raw titanium. Hope it doesnt rust!!

joeyz400

I saved a ton of $$$
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/8/06
I don't think it will rust because it is still stainless steel just not polished anymore. Nice job :!:

Panama

10/9/06
and now...PVD coating I`d suggest :)

No really, looks great.

Cheers
Panama