• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Jiro's "How to enhance your picture" Part 1 -Basic

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
Hi,

I have recently been asked by a lot of members from all forums how I take pictures...and what kinda camera I use....etc..

And every time, I tell them...."It's not the camera...it's how you take the picture and what you do with it after you took it."

Since our photo geek member pugwash has already posted many threads about "how to take good pictures"....I'm going to mainly focus on what to do when you want to enhance your picture.

I know...I'm no pugwash or by-tor but I'm doing this for all those people who are struggling with their photo technique.
I'm not going to cover the advanced level technique which i'm not even too good at....
It will be mostly basic technique which will come in very handy for many members.

A lot of members already know how to take good pictures....but at the same time a lot of them don't seem to know how to enhance their pictures when it's needed.

So...here I go~!

If you're a photoshop friendly members like pug or by-tor.....you probably don't wanna read all this crap I'm about to write~ ;) :D

First of all, you will need a program called "Photoshop"
Latest version is Photoshop CS but I'm using version 7.0 which is slightly older version than CS...but it still does the job.

Already have one? good! Don't have one? Go get it, it's worth every damn penny....or borrow from someone you know if you can.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jiro's "How to enhance your picture" Part 1 -Basic-

Have you ever took a picture and the color came out all off and wrong?
.....yes, we all have...haven't we...:D

This is probably the most common and most basic enhancement you can do when that happens.

Here we have a picture of beautiful Daytona...

ScreenShot000copy.jpg

See anything wrong with the picture above?.....yes...color is off.....way off....not even funny....

The most simple solution to fix the color in most cases are the "Auto Color" function under the Image Tab.

Image -> Adjustments -> Auto Color

ScreenShot002copy.jpg

BAM~!

ScreenShot003copy.jpg

See how much difference that simple button makes???? HUGE~!

Next, I want that black dial to pop out a little more.

Click and hold on the "Lasso Tool" and change it to "Magnetic Lasso Tool".

ScreenShot004copy.jpg

And carefully, go around the area that you want to select.....

ScreenShot005copy.jpg

Let's get the right contrast first...

Image -> Adjustments -> Auto Contrast

ScreenShot006copy.jpg

ScreenShot007copy.jpg

Now, let's get that level adjust to make the black dial pop out a little.

Image -> Adjustments -> Levels...

ScreenShot008copy.jpg

I will go ahead and change the first input level from 0 to 20.

ScreenShot009copy.jpg

All done.

Here are the "before" and "after" comparison pictures...

*Before*
ScreenShot000copy.jpg

*After*
ScreenShot010copy.jpg

Cheers~! ;)

Reactions: vagi

trojanmike

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/8/06
Thanks for the very informative post jiro! I have a nice dslr but have never been able to get really detailed pictures. I picked up a tripod and lightbox this weekend and will see if that helps a bit. I did open up Photoshop and followed your advice on a few older watch shots and the difference is amazing! We should get this post stickied at the top of the forum! Thanks again!

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
I'm glad it helped you, mike~ :D

let's see some of your before and after pictures!!! :D

this post actually was posted earlier and was sticky but while moving to different section it accidently got deleted~ :lol:

So, I re-posted it...hopefully, it will become sticky again so that other members can use this as a guide to their photo enhancement~ 8)

Rollex

Renowned Member
3/3/07
then you can take it a step further :twisted:

pamfirewallpaperlowpx2.jpg

watch photo courtesy TWP 8)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
thanks jiro for sharing some of your secrets...now I will have no excuses.

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
and that's what I meant by the "advanced level", Dukie~ :lol: which i'm not good at~ :lol:

Rollex

Renowned Member
3/3/07
jiro said:
and that's what I meant by the "advanced level", Dukie~ :lol: which i'm not good at~ :lol:

In no time my friend. :wink:

Your watch photography is looking superb!

higgy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
17/3/06
Very good info jiro...and for those who don't have or can afford photoshop try this program...it's free and lets you do basic picture editing. Nothing as indepth as photoshop... http://picasa.google.com/

Thanks again jiro.... :wink:

Higgy 8)

CISO1969

I'm Pretty Popular
26/8/06
Great post Jiro.

And to add to Higgy's suggestion, another free tool for your tool box is : Irfanview at

http://www.irfanview.com

Anyone who has seen some of my "on the fly creations" what I used was old school tech: Irfan view and the windows "paint" application. This is much better suited for avatars, logos etc but you can get some good photo work too.

I also have photoshop 7 but am so damn impatient I never really used it :roll: :lol:

Great post once again!

CISO

gab

6/4/07
Thanks jiro! You just save me couple of hundred bucks as i'm supposed to buy me a Nikon D40X. Always wonder how good your photographs are, how you keep your watches sooo clean in those photographs.... thanks again! :)

higgy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
17/3/06
Bump this to top for late arrivals to the forum..... :wink:

Higgy 8)

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
I was looking to upgrade my photoshop from 7.0 to latest CS version.

And someone told me to try this LimeWire P2P and it works great!

http://www.limewire.com

Just type "photoshop" on the search button and tons of them will pop out!

Try to download the one's with many users.

I just got myself a photoshop CS~~~ yeah~

It has new "Shadow/Highlight" feature I was looking for~ hehe :twisted:

dangerman

4/10/06
Some of the online photo editing sites are pretty damn good, and also friendly for beginners.

Check out:

hxxp://fotoflexer.com

remembering to change hxxp to http of course.

Down side is needing to upload photos especially if you are not on a very fast connection.

dylan

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/07
Nevada and California
@jiro: so i went and d/l limewire and d/l 2 versions of photoshop and
each time i can't open the setup.exe file
My computer just freezes up. Any thoughts?

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
dylan said:
@jiro: so i went and d/l limewire and d/l 2 versions of photoshop and
each time i can't open the setup.exe file
My computer just freezes up. Any thoughts?

there's probably something wrong with the file that you downloaded....

and you know...i just found out that limewire isn't so safe place to download softwares....I got myself a nice and strong trojan virus from it...... :x

uninstall the limewire asap and do some virus check up.....sorry about that my friend.....