• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[DIY]Make yourself a cheap photo light box!

craney

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/7/12
never posted pix before because i only have phone camera but thanks to this might have a go and see what i get! thanks S7.

maily

9/10/10
Fantastic! Thanks for taking the time to write this up i will be giving this a go!! :D

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
Thanks all, for the positive comments!
Also, a little follow-up seems to be due:

1. After using lights of 2 different colors--white and yellow(standard)--I found it best using the white lights, they're called "daylight" bulbs. I've tried using both the colors, after hearing that mixing the 2 makes it look natural. However, I wasn't a huge fan of having a rather yellowish orange tone on the pictures. I'd much prefer the white light.

2. The best was having only the lights coming through the "windows", especially when you have other lights coming in from the opening. Say, if you're working in a room, turn all the lights off, like your room, except for the lights that go into the box. This minimizes the light bulbs reflecting on your crystal.

I'll post pics when I have more time.

Thanks!

maily

9/10/10
Thanks all, for the positive comments!
Also, a little follow-up seems to be due:

1. After using lights of 2 different colors--white and yellow(standard)--I found it best using the white lights, they're called "daylight" bulbs. I've tried using both the colors, after hearing that mixing the 2 makes it look natural. However, I wasn't a huge fan of having a rather yellowish orange tone on the pictures. I'd much prefer the white light.

2. The best was having only the lights coming through the "windows", especially when you have other lights coming in from the opening. Say, if you're working in a room, turn all the lights off, like your room, except for the lights that go into the box. This minimizes the light bulbs reflecting on your crystal.

I'll post pics when I have more time.

Thanks!

Thanks for this tip i had to photoshop the yellowness out and i didn't do it very well..

Heres a picture of my box not as pretty as yours but i did the best with what i had in the house. :D

IMG_0093_zps920dfcfa.jpg

IMG_0147_zps20bb7e08.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to post this thread very much appreciated by me and i am sure you have inspired many others to do the same!!! :D

Wira

Known Member
29/6/11
Awesome work of art. Hahaha. Thanks for putting effort in sharing :)

FrenchBully

22/6/13
USA
Great write up on building a simple light box, especially with stuff around the house. My only suggestion is instead of using napkins you might want to get some tracing paper from the art store. It'll be better at diffusing the light and will be much more ridged. All and all still a great write up and tutorial. Thanks

Taze00

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
7/8/13
Crafty idea!!
I made a light box today out of wax paper and wire hangers lol
I think I'll try out this idea also!

Thanks

KB77

Looking Around
26/9/15
Love this. Need to make a box like this, and re-shoot my collection.
What light types are you guys using?