• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[DIY]Make yourself a cheap photo light box!

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
Hey guys,

I thought I'd write a tutorial on how to make a cheap version of a photo light box. Of course, the box isn't all that expensive--you can get them for around $25 if buying a low quality light box from eBay.

But, why even spend $25 when you can make it for practically nothing? The light box could be made with stuff lying around your house.

Why should you make one? Well, for beginners, you would want a nice pictures of your watches, should you want to list your watches for sale. We all know important it is to have good pictures for the sales to go through. This reason alone would be a good enough for you to invest some 20 minutes of your day.

The things you will need:

1. A cardboard box the size you would want your light box to be. I don't think you would need a huge box for it, so I went with a decent sized box.

2. Basic crafting materials: a box cutter, glue, and a pair of scissors.

3. Napkins, and/or white paper.

4. Some extra stuff that's nice to have would be: table top lights, and fabric/colored paper for background drops.

Because I made the light box on a whim, I don't have the extra table top lights for more lighting. I'm pretty sure that with the extra lights the pictures would be much better.

On to the process, shall we?

1. Cut the flaps of the box.
DSC_0006_zpsf6473324.jpg

I decided to take pictures after I cut one of the flaps out, but I'm sure you wouldn't need a detailed information on cutting the flaps.
DSC_0011_zps465fbfbc.jpg

Done!

2. Punch a rectangular hole on 3 sides of the box, except for the bottom, leaving about 1-inch borders.
DSC_0012_zpsa195fe3c.jpg

One side done!
DSC_0014_zps555e0f73.jpg

2 sides done!
DSC_0020_zps22e3c3a4.jpg

3 sides done! This will be the top, and for ease of interchanging backdrops, I decided to cut a little more.
DSC_0021_zps81743279.jpg

See it? I didn't leave the border for slipping the backdrop.

Once you're done with it, decide which material you would like to go with. I chose napkins, just because they're thinner, hence enabling more light to pass through. Even though it was a bit yellowish in color, it worked out nicely.
DSC_0025_zpsfeb68c17.jpg

Start gluing the holes with napkins. If you're using napkins, make sure you peel the napkins out--they're usually multi-layered.
DSC_0027_zps10ca72d5.jpg

DSC_0032_zpsd06bd1fc.jpg

All 3 sides done! Notice I left the back end little open. Again, this was done so I could slip backdrops in the future. Also, once you have two lights coming in from the two sides, you can cover the top, should you need to block some unwanted lights from coming in.
DSC_0033_zpse29d6dae.jpg

We are done! All you need is to slip something in of your choice. I used regular white paper, since that was all I had available.
DSC_0036_zpsad0846d0.jpg

Either like this, or
DSC_0011_zpscb06fef2.jpg

like this.

I think it took me less time making the box than writing this post; about 15 minutes or so. Sure, the box is nowhere close to what $25 would get you, but this will do the job for me.

Here are two of the pictures taken. Do understand that this was taken with just ONE lamp, without extra lights shooting from the sides.

Vac Pam 000
DSC_0008_zpsd57c9425.jpg

Breiting Superocean Abyss
DSC_0056_zps77da4f86.jpg

YM
YMshadowed_zps01176a2f.jpg

Cropped and Photoshopped to give the mirrored effect.

Not the best like you would see from professionals, but considering the price of my camera and amount of money invested in lighting and such, this isn't too shabby at all!

Thanks for reading!

wolfwood

Put Some Respect On My Name
4/2/11
Very cool. What do you use as your light source? Can you post a pic of a sample set up with a watch, camera and light source?

Thanks for sharing.

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
dope, looks like fun so im making with my 4 year old daughter:) thx

I'm not good at this kind of things, but it was actually fun! Have fun!

Stickied + rep given.

Wow! Thanks!

Very cool. What do you use as your light source? Can you post a pic of a sample set up with a watch, camera and light source?

Thanks for sharing.

Right now, a lamp+flashlight, until I could go to a local home depot to buy myself some cheap light source. It seems like they could be bought for around 5 each+light bulb.
IMG_2933_zps866d7423.jpg

This is what I have right now. The most expensive item is the flashlight moun--a lens :p An empty Pringles can as a camera mount.. Whatever I could find around my house to really minimize the cost. Haha

So it doesn't work with just one lying paper.. #dumb photographer
Yeah, you might need a couple honest papers :p

Sequoia

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/2/12
Great idea! Wish I would have seen this post. Just got a light box/lamp set off Amazon for $40 US

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
This looks very cool, great idea +1
Thanks!

Great idea! Wish I would have seen this post. Just got a light box/lamp set off Amazon for $40 US
I was about to pull the trigger as well; but most of the low end boxes have lights that apparently sub par, and you would need a better set of lights.
That's when I decided to make a photo box of my own, and buy decent lights from Home Depot.
I'm actually quite happy with the results.

Ed911

8/12/11
EU
Very useful!
Thanks a lot, I will buy my Pringles box ASAP ;-)

sunnydale

29/8/09
Great tutorial! I only need a decent camera, any cheap DIY tutorial for that? ;)

'Subluminor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
30/10/12
Wow, great man, got tons of nice sized boxes for this..thank you very much, I will be posting many pictures of my SubC when it arrives.

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
Great tutorial! I only need a decent camera, any cheap DIY tutorial for that? ;)

Iphone would do the trick, just get yourself a nice lens attachment! :p

View attachment 11847

View attachment 11848

View attachment 11849

my daughter made this !!!!! shes 4 --pretty dope right?!!!

looks like it works... i guess lmao

Wow! It made me smile! How adorable.. But.. Reported for child labor.. LOL

Wow, great man, got tons of nice sized boxes for this..thank you very much, I will be posting many pictures of my SubC when it arrives.

Yeah, I might make a couple more for myself, depending on the number/size of props I want to use. I realized I might need something bigger for pics with other cool stuff in the background :)

burg650

Known Member
23/9/12
This is way cool but as I have a simple Canon dig point and shoot camera wonder how good the photos will come out, but I am going to try thanks

sumiter7

I'm Pretty Popular
17/8/12
This is way cool but as I have a simple Canon dig point and shoot camera wonder how good the photos will come out, but I am going to try thanks

I don't think you would have to have a DSLR to have great results, since you're going to have ample amount of light coming into the box.
I think it relies more on photoshopping. I think cropping is essential, because it really centers the watch in the middle.

Take my friend, for example. He uses a $60 point and shoot camera that dates back quite a few years ago, but does an excellent job at taking pictures.
Here are couple of pictures taken by him. Notice the yellow tint to his pictures. He claims that it is due to his camera, but I think it might be because the color of light coming through the box.
844622d1349918677-sold-fsot-vintage-lecoultre-memovox-located-canada-lecoultrememovox1.jpg

I think all he did was cropping the watch so it could be centered.

So yeah, give it a try--the amount of light coming through the box is good enough to make a difference.

DRBAFC

Renowned Member
23/3/12
Wow. Very professional-like photos. Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2